• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Speedway

View attachment 95340View attachment 95341 Your dad and uncle and my father rode on the speedway ( Dirt Track ) to togther with the Parker brothers, I think I can remember them having a car showroom by the Collage Arms Pub.
View attachment 95340View attachment 95341 Your dad and uncle and my father rode on the speedway ( Dirt Track ) to togther with the Parker brothers, I think I can remember them having a car showroom by the Collage Arms Pub.
Hi Louis
Are you called ham man because you are a radio ham?

Wow, a speedway thread! I would go to Perry Barr every Saturday night to see the "Brummies"never missed a match. My dad was a motor bike nut! He worked for Geoff Bennett, remember him? He did the work on Geoff's speedway bike. My Dad on Geoff Bennett's bike.jpg My Dad on Geoff Bennett's bike.jpg

thanks dave...must be a bit further down from the shop front then..
Yes, it's at the end of the property. I did have a couple of pictures of the shop front, including the signs of both E.V.C Hardy & Geoff Bennett. I wish I could find them. When you emigrate, it really becomes difficult to locate many of your memories. I do recall going to Eric's home once. I've no idea where it was, but it was out in the country, at least it was country at that time. I'ts quite conceivable that I met your late husband at some point.
Dave A

Welcome to Perry Barr - the image of a greyhound is missing. It last shows up on Google Maps Street View in 2015. Gone by 2017.

Early 70's I used to go to see the Brummies each week before I moved to Bournemouth/Poole area in 1975.

I went to see Poole speedway and was hooked right in the heart and have been a big Poole speedway fan ever since.

That doesn't stop me though for always looking out for the Brummie's results and I was very pleased when speedway returned to Perry Barr.

Thanks Carolina. Way back in the early 2000's a group of friends and myself, worked our socks off, with meetings, and planning discussions with Birmingham City Council, to get Speedway back at Perry Barr. Suffice to say, we did it. But lost out then, to people that forgot us. They forgot what we had done, all that protesting in the rain outside the council house, the hours and hours spent writing letters, and getting the media involved; seemed to be pushed aside....not one thank you from the organizers, or the club, or anyone. Such a sad end. BUT! We are all happy it got going again, and pleased that it weathers the storm, and still runs. "Up The Brummies"!

well gerry a thank you from me for helping to keep the speedway alive..i can remember going there quite a few times with our dad...also the greyhound racing....happy days

lyn

1947 Speedway to start April on Saturdays, crowds to be limited.

Looks a good size crowd at the Stadium.

Screenshot 2019-01-29 at 21.27.31.jpeg

The two riders for Birmingham have a B on their jackets, and the other two have a star. Any ideas as to the name of the opposition?

[Just found a team called Kings Lynn Stars from a defunct Norwich Stars]

Here's a couple more. Alan Hunt seated on machine, with Tamworth,5.jpgs Ivor Davies standing. Both rode for The Brummies for several seasons. Alan was killed riding in South Africa. Ivor, I last spoke with in 1984.

The two riders for Birmingham have a B on their jackets, and the other two have a star. Any ideas as to the name of the opposition?

[Just found a team called Kings Lynn Stars from a defunct Norwich Stars]
The opposing team is the Wimbledon Stars...very hard to identify the riders as their numbers were on the backs...Here's a shot of Alan "Wacker" Hunt flying through the air in a similar spot at the Birchfield Stadium a couple of years later.Alan Hunt flying Brummie.jpg

Of course these were the days before we were all overstuffed with entertainment, via TV, Internet, Mobile Phones, I-pads, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc, etc. The days when we had a half-day on a Wednesday, and would get off home, and go out and play football, I mean OUTSIDE, in the fresh air! Ha-ha. The picture above shows how much the sport was loved. These were the days when you rang up to buy something, and....shock....horror, the phone was answered by a PERSON! Anyway, have a good afternoon folks. Gerry. ps another picture attached. Graham Warren Birmingham on the left and West Ham's Howdy Byford right. (picture courtesy of J. Chaplin archiive.)Byford.jpg

Of course these were the days before we were all overstuffed with entertainment, via TV, Internet, Mobile Phones, I-pads, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc, etc. The days when we had a half-day on a Wednesday, and would get off home, and go out and play football, I mean OUTSIDE, in the fresh air! Ha-ha. The picture above shows how much the sport was loved. These were the days when you rang up to buy something, and....shock....horror, the phone was answered by a PERSON! Anyway, have a good afternoon folks. Gerry. ps another picture attached. Graham Warren Birmingham on the left and West Ham's Howdy Byford right. (picture courtesy of J. Chaplin archiive.)View attachment 131313
Ah yes...Graham Warren, the blond bombshell! Do you remember when he got married at St Martins in the Bull Ring?
Dave A

Back