• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hunt Alan .......Speedway

Gazzo

300 Years of Brum DNA
Looking for any details, info or stories relating to Alan.............he was my Uncle, tragically dying 8 years before I was born. Thanks in advance as usual. Gazzo.

Re: Alan Hunt.......Speedway

Gazzo I can remember Whacker Hunt along with Graham Warren and Ron Mountford at Perry Barr (All great riders). My mom and dad used to take me and my 2 brothers every other Saturday on the 29 bus from Hockley. I can still imagine the smell of the engines and remember the ducking down at the barriers as they actually road past because we didnt want the grit in our eyes. Many times I can remember my mom getting grit out of other people's eyes. She actually won a prize one year for being the best supporter.

Re: Alan Hunt.......Speedway

Here is a photo of the team in the 50s. Ivor Davies was the person who presented my mother with her prize. How I wish I still had the photo and the programme with her picture on it. (Ivor is bottom right front row)

Brummies 1950.jpg

Birmingham Weekly Post 2 April 1954. Looks like Perry Barr Stadium. Viv.

Attachments

• E8284E45-3C89-497F-B4C2-E2B5DE05F924.jpeg
    E8284E45-3C89-497F-B4C2-E2B5DE05F924.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 190F2FF4-B025-4975-A043-0898DD008A73.jpeg
    190F2FF4-B025-4975-A043-0898DD008A73.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 54BC269F-14E8-464B-ADB3-8A2D3980FFE5.jpeg
    54BC269F-14E8-464B-ADB3-8A2D3980FFE5.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 56BD5335-E9B9-4DA7-AD5F-867A00D30AFF.jpeg
    56BD5335-E9B9-4DA7-AD5F-867A00D30AFF.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 16
We lived next door to Alan's mother for a time & remember him visiting once or twice, think he had a son & daughter.
Used to have a yellow plastic badge from the speedway with his picture on,probably buried in the loft some where.

Birmingham Weekly Post 2 April 1954. Looks like Perry Barr Stadium. Viv.

Hi Vivienne14,

I remember going to Perry Barr Speedway track when I was a small boy as my Dad used to work for Harry Bastable as a mechanic at Speedway Motors on Birchfield Road, Perry Barr. He even hand built Steve Bastables first speedway bike when he was young. I was lucky enough to have met most of the team who gave me lots of souvenirs helmet covers, team tabards (Brummies, Cradley Heath & a World Series one). Dad was friends with most of the lads, Johnnie Hart, Ivor Davies, Ivor Brown, Graham Warren, Ron Mountford etc. All very nice people unlike the stars of today who you can't get near let alone talk to.

Lozellian.

Hi Vivienne14,

I remember going to Perry Barr Speedway track when I was a small boy as my Dad used to work for Harry Bastable as a mechanic at Speedway Motors on Birchfield Road, Perry Barr. He even hand built Steve Bastables first speedway bike when he was young. I was lucky enough to have met most of the team who gave me lots of souvenirs helmet covers, team tabards (Brummies, Cradley Heath & a World Series one). Dad was friends with most of the lads, Johnnie Hart, Ivor Davies, Ivor Brown, Graham Warren, Ron Mountford etc. All very nice people unlike the stars of today who you can't get near let alone talk to.

Lozellian.
*I too remember those riders. Of the newer riders, that is, of the 1970's George Major was a friend of mine.

Phil Hart had a garage on Birchfield Road and an insurance company - details here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birchfield-road-perry-barr.38467/page-9

Viv.

Hi Viv,

I remember it well, it was almost opposite Speedway Motors on the Birchfield Road, where my dad worked as a mechanic. I also recall that on most Sundays my dad used to take me off road motorbike riding with John hart & other Brummie Speedway Riders in Brownhills. One Sunday I recall we found an old mattress support frame, which a few of us sat on and we were then towed around an area of shale to create a makeshift track that was used to great effect (great memories).

Lozellian

Back