• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley Secondary School

Sad to hear that the old two-manual Pipe organ has ceased to breathe. I studied A Level music at Saltley before going on to the Coventry School of Music. I had my first Organ lessons at Saltley and remember the instrument well, particulalry the leaky diapasons. I am now Director of Music at St Andrew's in Handsworth and regularly perform recitals. P.S i'm sure i carved my initials on there along woth those of a female cellist in the music class. Another Organ goes... so sad

It's so wonderful to see all these images & links going up about Saltley School.....they were without doubt the happiest times of my life. I have so many fantastic memories of my time there (1968-1975) & even went back in 1979 to do my major teaching practice before leaving to come up the north east to teach Art at 2 fabulous 11-18 Secondary schools before retiring. So many names of teachers...remember ooodles of them, so many good times. Cant wait for the reunion.

We have now organised an Open Day to celebrate our 85th Anniversary on Saturday 28th September 2013, 10am-4pm, for any ex-pupils who want to visit the school, see how it is now, and share their memories with us.

It's so wonderful to see all these images & links going up about Saltley School.....they were without doubt the happiest times of my life. I have so many fantastic memories of my time there (1968-1975) & even went back in 1979 to do my major teaching practice before leaving to come up the north east to teach Art at 2 fabulous 11-18 Secondary schools before retiring. So many names of teachers...remember ooodles of them, so many good times. Cant wait for the reunion.

We must have coincided, though I was a couple of years ahead.

Does anyone remember occasional summer lessons in the quad with Miss Thompson? I think they'd have been either in the sixth form or S level English.

Great to hear of 85th anniversary celebrations. I will be there - Robin Leake 1963-1970.
Some fabulous photos on both this thread and Saltley School Archives on Facebook. I also
played rugby for Old Saltleians and still go to the club.

Hi
I attended Saltley Grammar School (Belchers Lane) during the 60s, and lived just across the road in Caldwell Road and later in Shard End.

I wonder if we knew each other?

I started Saltley in 62/63 (I think!) after Alston Road. I was in Bright House and played a lot of sport. Mrs. Capon was head of girls' PE; Miss Thompson was my English teacher and we had Mr. King for Art. Miss Jackson was Assistant Head followed by Miss Hulse and Mr. Littlejohn (?) was Head. A boy called Graham Caldbeck used to play the organ during assembly. Dear me, the things you remember......LOL

I started Saltley in 62/63 (I think!) after Alston Road. I was in Bright House and played a lot of sport. Mrs. Capon was head of girls' PE; Miss Thompson was my English teacher and we had Mr. King for Art. Miss Jackson was Assistant Head followed by Miss Hulse and Mr. Littlejohn (?) was Head. A boy called Graham Caldbeck used to play the organ during assembly. Dear me, the things you remember......LOL

I started a couple of years after you. I was also in Bright.
I often wonder what happened to Graham Caldbeck. Didn't he win a scholarship to Oxford?

Just come across this thread - I started at Saltley Grammar (from Nansen Road) for the new autumn term 1960. I remember little of it as we moved to Sutton at Easter 1962. That was 50 yrs ago!!! My form mistress (class 1T) was Miss Austen.

I was in Class IT, can't remember if Miss Austen was my form tutor, but she certainly taught me History, would start dictating notes before she even got through the door!

Aah,Biffer Bennett,was he still shouting "Single File" down the corridors in the 60's ?

He was! And the memory of his rendition of "at the going down of the sun we will remember them" on Remembrance day still brings tears to my eyes, he had such a wonderful voice. I recall an imitation tombstone inscribed with R.I.P. BIF when he retired (or died?)
I have a vague recollection of a"Creeping Jesus" Hinchcliffe (taught RE!?) had his car "re-located" to the middle of the rugby pitch on the last day of term, by persons unknown.

He was! And the memory of his rendition of "at the going down of the sun we will remember them" on Remembrance day still brings tears to my eyes, he had such a wonderful voice. I recall an imitation tombstone inscribed with R.I.P. BIF when he retired (or died?)
I have a vague recollection of a"Creeping Jesus" Hinchcliffe (taught RE!?) had his car "re-located" to the middle of the rugby pitch on the last day of term, by persons unknown.

Didn't know Hinchcliffe,but I like the idea of his car being "re-located",wish I'd thought of doing that ! My claim to notoriety is removing the fuses to the staff room and the male teachers toilets on my last day !

Mr Chippendale...what a character. The double-breasted suits, the bay rum on his hair.

I've found some more 'archive' material, including the programme for Speech Day 1968. Prizes were presented by Dr. I.W. Busbridge, Fellow of St. Hugh's, Oxford.
These things were hiding in a book!

Saltley Speech Day 68 outer pages.jpg

A bit hard to see. The front and back (listing staff) of Speech Day 1968.
I think I remember the elocution teacher from my first year.
maria

View attachment 92930

A bit hard to see. The front and back (listing staff) of Speech Day 1968.
I think I remember the elocution teacher from my first year.
maria

Hello was looking through Saltley info and found your comment about Mr Chippendale which was very interesting he was my grandad did he teach you Latin? He's on the back row of the staff 1965 - 9168 photo i think.

Hello was looking through Saltley info and found your comment about Mr Chippendale which was very interesting he was my grandad did he teach you Latin? He's on the back row of the staff 1965 - 9168 photo i think.

He did teach us Latin. He was your grandad!
He's one of the interesting people at school, looking back, and I remember him very clearly. I will take a look at the photo.
Thank you.
maria

Back