• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley Secondary School

You probably have remembered by now lyn but it was STUART. I Was also in Tudor.

hi topsy just noticed your reply and yes of course it was the stuart house..thanks for reminding me..pleased to hear that you too were a tudor lol..

hi ashley i will repost the school pics later on today for you..

lyn

sorry ashley i forgot all about them..got bogged down with ancestry research...the pics will be on today for you...

lyn

ok ashley here they are..these are very old postcards in an album..
first the cover and then the pics..

lyn

img351.jpg

Thanks a lot Lyn!
Even though the pictures are old, the Chemistry lab, gym and hall looked pretty much the same. I'll pass them on to some old school friends.
All the best

Hello,
The "fume cabinet" in the corner of the lab, most of the gym fixtures and some of the library (of which I was in charge for a couple of years as a 6th/7th former) all look much the same as in my time: 1959-65.
Great memories; thanks Lyn.

happy to oblige stan and ashley..glad they bring back memories for you both...

lyn

Am I imagining things here? When I first read this forum some three weeks back, I'm sure I came across a reference to Michael O'Conner, however all trace of this thread has gone missing. Which is a shame because I did know a Michael O'Conner at Saltley. He would have attended from 1960 - 1965 or 1966 depending on whether he took A levels.

Saltley Secondary School was opened in 1928.
I was a pupil there from 1929- 1934.
My brother Alan followed me two tears later and the school which was classified as a Secondary Grammar School became Saltley Grammar School.

During the war it suffered bomb damage and several rooms were destroyed and not replaced.
I was a member of the first schooll orchestra and finally became its leader. I was also a memeber of dramatic society.
My first formmaster and history teach was Mr. Clifford C. Bracewell who was a fine man who held the Military Cross.
He taught me to swim.
Following family tradition ourt daughter Rosalind became a pupil there in the 1960s
I have a photo of a school play but have lost the album of photos and would like to see it again.Copy of School Play.JPG
( Arttached photo of the Prince who was a Piper )
Kind regards
C.R.M.

My sister in law went to Saltley Grammar in the mid 1950's she would have been Margaret Partridge then.

Dear Wendy,
Your sister-in-law may have been at Saltley when the organ was installed as a War Memorial.
he inaugural recital was given to an invited audience of parents and old scholars by Mr. J. Samuels,organist of Christ Church Burney Lane, . He had traced the instrument which had been privately owned.
I felt privileged when the headmaster Dr.Lloyd invited me to play and demonstrate the instrument at the school assembly on the following day. I was at that time organist of St.Mark's church, Washwood Heath and a teacher at the nearby Sladefield School.
I returned to the school years later as a violinist, joining the school orchestra for concerts,
I had been leader in my last year (1934) and was encouraged by our German mistress, Miss V.Cameron who also organised the dramatic society and conducted the orchestra. Arthur Hytch was our visiting violin teacher.
Happy memories of a fine school !
Kind regards,
C.R.M.

Many thanks Lyn,
I had the original album of photos but lost it.
In those early years the cloister arches wete open and althiough later enclosures spoilt the appearance it must have helped to preserve heat as clasrroom were exposed to the elements on two sides.

, I am new to this site and as far as I have searched I can find no trace of "Saltley College School" Many Saltley Schools have been mentioned but not this one.
It was in Bridge Road and on the next corner in College Road was the Saltley College Training School. Later known as St Peters College.There was a sports field between them which was used by both parties. I attended this School from 1937 to 1940 until it weas bombed during the war. I am now 86 and one of the last to leave the school, and maybe the only one surviving. Or am I?

Hi Harry,
Apologies - it is Saltley Secondary school that was in Belchers lane.

Thought St peters had closed some years ago? I know it was still there back in the '70's

Brian

My sister in law who was then Margaret Partridge went to Saltley Grammar in the 50's. Next time we meet I will ask if she has any photo's.

One of my school mates lived oppposite Saltley Grammar in the 50s/60s..Geoffrey Partridge..any connection.

Ahh, I thought it was you, I'm Jimmy Pritchard, I used to live at the bottom of Third Avenue.

Last edited:
Oh yes,I remember,its changed a bit around there has'nt it...I wonder what happened to all the local lads.???

How are you.

I akm thrilled you two have made contact after all this time what a nice suprise.

I don't think there was a Geoffrey in the family. Uncle Jack and Rose Partridge lived in just down the road from the school. There back garden went onto the allotments by the railway line.

Hello Wendy.

Thanks for your reply....Geoffrey lived opposite Saltley Grammar,we both attended Alston Rd school,I often wonder how many of the lads are still with us.

There is quite a lot of info on the FriendsReunited.co.uk site regarding the Saltley Schools. They seem to be on one page. You might find names that you
recognize on the photos or lists from the various years.

I remember a Barrage Balloon site on the playing fields of Saltley Secondry School during the war, it got loose one day and the cable knocked about 10 chimneys down in Caldwell Road opposite the school.

Hi
I work at Saltley School and we have just undergone a £13.5 million refurbishment with 17 new classrooms and a new Sports Hall. Thought you might like to see an update on the old photos posted earlier.
We are currently sorting through all our archive material and hope to have a lot online shortly. (Our whole school photos are being restored at the moment.)
If you have any old photos please email me as our archive is far from complete - Main Hall 1928/2011/2013
main hall 1928.jpgmain hall 2011.JPGmain hall 2013.jpg

Attachments

• foyer 1928.jpg
    foyer 1928.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 49
  • foyer 2011.JPG
    foyer 2011.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:
Back