• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley Secondary School

Old Geog Room 1928 / Room 22 2011 / Main Office 2013
room 22 1928.jpgroom 22 2011.JPGroom 22 2013.JPG

Attachments

• room 22 2011.JPG
    room 22 2011.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • room 22 2013.jpg
    room 22 2013.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 23
hi saltlye archives...glad you have made use of the old photos i posted on here...really enjoyed looking at the then and now pics you have posted...

lyn

Girls Gym 1928 / 2011 / Dining Hall 2013
boys gym 1928.jpggirls gym 2011.jpggirls gym 2013.jpg

the Boys Gym was built in 1961 - dem0lished last year to make way for new Sports Hall
boys gym 2011.JPGboys gym demolition 2012.jpg

One last photo -art room.jpg the old Girls Changing Rooms converted to well lit Art Rooms

We are hoping to have an official opening in Sept 2013 - please email me if you want to be updated on events or if you have any archive material to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
The school organ is mentioned in ealier posts. Sadly this had fallen into disrepair and had not worked for many years.
However we were very aware that it was purchased as a tribute to the ex pupils who fell in the second world war and did not want to just scrap it.
A local artist Tim Tolkein (grandson of JRR Tolkein) has done some great works locally including the Spitfire Island near the Fort. He has taken all the old organ parts and is turning them into a memorial bench for the central quad.

The school organ is mentioned in ealier posts. Sadly this had fallen into disrepair and had not worked for many years.
However we were very aware that it was purchased as a tribute to the ex pupils who fell in the second world war and did not want to just scrap it.
A local artist Tim Tolkein (grandson of JRR Tolkein) has done some great works locally including the Spitfire Island near the Fort. He has taken all the old organ parts and is turning them into a memorial bench for the central quad.

I was going to ask about the organ. How sad.
But something good is coming out of it.

Hi Maria
Thanks for your replies
I'm afraid it had reached the end of it's useful life. This is the last photo.
Look forward to hearing from you
last organ photo.jpg
When it was removed we discovered a round corridor window to the first floor that nobody knew we had. It has been boarded up and painted over on one side and covered by the organ on the other!

Thanks
I can imagine it seems a bit strange. We did try to keep what we could. We have kept all the old honours boards, and we retained parquet where we could. We are also creating an archive room. The idea of the new build areas being metal fronted is that on bright days they reflect the old arches in the metal to hopefully link the old and new! We lost the quads as purely garden areas but we insisted the new functional spaces also has greenery and we created a new quad as a Science Garden.
However quite simply the old 1928 classrooms were not large enough for modern education. They were about 41-45m2 when you need a minimum of about 56m2 now. Hence many of the 1928 areas were converted to offices, intervention rooms. toilets etc with the new build classrooms taking up the teaching spaces.
Some of the old classrooms were knocked together to form larger areas such as the new media AV suite. (Old rooms 9 and 10) see below:
media AV.jpg

Just had the 1929 whole school photo restored. High Res version will be on the new archive website shortly when we set it up. We have about 30 whole school photos in our collection currently from 1929-1964 being restored and are clearly missing quite a few - please email me if you have any.
[email protected]
The 1929 photo shows that the original first floor was railed which we had forgotten. It is taken in the North Quad showing the arches open. It has the first Headteacher front/centre Mr James McGill Clouston who was Head 1928-1936. After Saltley he went to St Clement Danes School Holborn until he retired in 1959. He died in Torbay in 1978.
1929 mastered med res.jpg

Just come across this thread - I started at Saltley Grammar (from Nansen Road) for the new autumn term 1960. I remember little of it as we moved to Sutton at Easter 1962. That was 50 yrs ago!!! My form mistress (class 1T) was Miss Austen.

Just come across this thread - I started at Saltley Grammar (from Nansen Road) for the new autumn term 1960. I remember little of it as we moved to Sutton at Easter 1962. That was 50 yrs ago!!! My form mistress (class 1T) was Miss Austen.

Miss Austen was still there in my time. She was nice. Became Mrs Telford, I think.

We are also trying to trace additional information about the ex pupils listed on the war memorial. Can anyone help? We have traced a lot of regiments but that is about it. We have been unable to find anything about the two female names listed.
Any info gratefully received to [email protected]
Names are:
Alford D
Ashley W G
Baker J R A
Barnwell H J
Bloxwich J H
Bonser F
Cavill R
Clarke R T
Clements G R A
Cox F
Green L
Green Lloyd
Harrison F
Henson F E
Hicken E C
Higgins W
Hill C
Hill N J
Hudson C E
Langley F
Lloyd M F
Madeley G A
Mitchell G J
Moore A S
Moore J
Mort C
Moss R J
Richardson F J
Smith J K
Sprason H K
Summers R
Thistlewood R H
Thomas R J
Thompson R W
Usher C E
Ward C F
Wilson B J
Irons Joan
Thornelow Kathleen

Just came across this 1928 photo of the school. Have taken the equivalent angle in 2013. Shows the section of the school that was lost to wartime bomb damage - and the tree has grown a bit!!
School 1928 low res.jpgSchool 2013 low res.jpg

Does anyone know if a photo of the bomb damage exists?

Back