• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Phillips Street Aston

I'm Dave Astley...and my brother is Jack. I live in Canada and he lives in Crawley, Sussex. If you check out post #115, you will see a photo of us on speedway bikes. I don't know what you mean about adverts on BHF, I don't get any ads at all.
Dave A

I'm Dave Astley...and my brother is Jack. I live in Canada and he lives in Crawley, Sussex. If you check out post #115, you will see a photo of us on speedway bikes. I don't know what you mean about adverts on BHF, I don't get any ads at all.
Dave A
Oh, how lucky are you! I wonder why I have them and you don't. Maybe I'll figure it out as I go along.

Oh, how lucky are you! I wonder why I have them and you don't. Maybe I'll figure it out as I go along.
This is what I've got all the time, even though I keep deleting them. Anyway, nice to meet you Dave. I will certainly let Jeanne know you were asking about her. By the way, is there a private message facility on this forum so that you can speak to people privately. Or is that what you and I are doing now. Ha ha. Forgive me, I'm new.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191025_230413_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191025_230413_com.android.chrome.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 25
This is what I've got all the time, even though I keep deleting them. Anyway, nice to meet you Dave. I will certainly let Jeanne know you were asking about her. By the way, is there a private message facility on this forum so that you can speak to people privately. Or is that what you and I are doing now. Ha ha. Forgive me, I'm new.
Yes you can private message, I believe that I only used it once to Lyn, my fellow patriot from Paddington St in Aston.
Dave A

I get a completely different page...https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/phillips-street-aston.25151/page-7#post-660760
Dave A

Regarding private messages...they are called conversations on BHF, click on the envelope on the top right.
Dave A

I get a completely different page...https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/phillips-street-aston.25151/page-7#post-660760
Dave A
I've just cut and paste that into my browser and it's brought me right back here. Ha ha. Something is afoot.

hi.anyone.re our house in phillips st.in the back garden was a big block of concrete,with a manhole type cover on,under the cover was a ladder going down into a air raid shelter.there was rows of wooden seats down there.
we used it as a den.wearing smelly old gas masks.witch was there.4 other gardens shared this place.at the top of the garden was a 3foot wall,over this wall was the brook,when it rained we would look over and wait for the flood the rush down bringing all the rubbish people had thrown in.about 10Ft across
was the building of millers, were men stood all day polishing head lamps etc.they were filthy faced.but nice they always waved.then there was the hooter that sounded at dinner time.next door was the caretaker.is son and i were mates.at the weekends we would have a look around the factory.the door was in is garden.there was strange test rigs in there,a modifide upside down bike for testing dynamo's.lol.across the road was a scrap yard that rolled there old wagons out to start em.one morning.one of them ran straight into my dads 3 wheeler parked ouside.smashed it to bits.
happy times hey. pete
What number did you live at. I lived at 47, directly opposite the Talford Arms.

I remember Joan's Wool Shop very well, I used to knit a lot when my son was a little boy, you could have wool put away and just buy a couple of ounces at a time. Her mother used to help in the shop, and Joan had a daughter called Charmaine.
The shop on the corner was Baines bread and cake shop.

I remember Joan's Wool Shop very well, I used to knit a lot when my son was a little boy, you could have wool put away and just buy a couple of ounces at a time. Her mother used to help in the shop, and Joan had a daughter called Charmaine.
thanks sylvia. i new dora who worked there. and i was friends with the man at the red house.. seeing janes post has brought back memories. of the sydenham building,and the gang.the old man who repair`d chairs in a shed

View attachment 138522
89 next to millers gate, right across from the scrapyard. are you related to the builders?.......................pic thanks to lyn
Hi, yes. My dad, granddad and great granddad and numourous other relatives were the Wallin's of Wallin's Aston Ltd. Ha ha Our house was dead opposite the Talford Arms. I could see into the windows from my bedroom.

Yes, my mom used to buy her wool from The Wool Shop too. I used to go to school with Charmaine. I used to go and play with her in the flat upstairs. Their surname was Allaway. Happy days.

Hi, yes. My dad, granddad and great granddad and numourous other relatives were the Wallin's of Wallin's Aston Ltd. Ha ha Our house was dead opposite the Talford Arms. I could see into the windows from my bedroom.
hope you will spend many happy hour on this site.there is a great lot of folks on here,

Back