• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paddle Boats

F

Frantic

Can someone refresh my flagging memory about which park had the little paddle boats. The ones that you used to spin the handles on the inside and go nowhere. I was just thinking about them the other day, along with the rowing boats with the double seat at the back. I remember them being at Handsworth park, but I can't remember where the paddle boats were. I often wonder what happened to all that kind of stuff it would be worth a fortune now. Some photos would be nice if anyone has any. O0

Perry Park at the end of the No 6 Tram route cant remember the real name of the park maybe Perry Hall :-\

That's right Alf.. Perry Hall Park. Lots of fun if you had some money to take a paddle boat out.
A boy in my class, John Heath, fell out of one of the paddle boats and received a cut on
his head. I don't think the boating area was very deep but I remember seeing an
ambulance by the boating pool and John Heath being hauled on to a stretcher. He survived
fine.

Frantic said:
The wooden ones Robert?
Naah, fibre-glass but you can still get nowhere in them. I was there the other day and watched an oversized big sister (or was it a mother) take a little kid on. I was intrigued to see one side shipping water and the other sticking up in the air as they spun round and round in ever decreasing circles.
titanic2mr.gif
;D

Wonderful memories Poste I believe the water was only about 2 ft deep

That's the ones Postie....Ta fer that...had some great times on those. I'd completely forgotten about Perry hall Park. Is it still there? We used to have to walk down a long road to get there (I think).

It seemed like a long walk from that No 6 Tram and when you got to the gate it seemed a long way to the Paddle Boats.

Sutton Park had Paddle Boats on a railed off part of Blackroot Pool. there also used to be a large motor boat that would take you round the lake, and many row boats for hire,
I remember a very large raft in the center of the pool on which my cousin Albert Lamb & the HARDY SPICERS Works Band (of which He was leader) played on one hot summers day in the 1950s.
Sadly all gone now.  :'(
ASTON

Aston, I use to swim out to that raft at Sutton,it was the only wash I use to have till our Ma could collar me.
I did a lot of my courtingin the park, will look through a few of my old pic's to see what I have
The paddle boats in Perry Park are actually using the moat of the Wonderful Hall the City Vandals demolished

Cromwell, I have, Ice skated on, swam in it, & Sail on it. WHAT HAPPY HAPPY DAY'S IN SUTTON PARK. :)
ASTON O0

Thanks Alf, I have posted Keepers pool photos on previous topics, one as it was in the 50s & one as it is now. Another Lost treasure, all now gone to the Vandals! & Birmingham Council.
ASTON

Postie, thanks for posting the photo of the paddle boats at Perry Hall Park, have many happy memories of that park and the paddle boats, we couldn't always afford to go on them, but when we did it was great fun.

Paddle Boats at the now long gone Blackroot kidies pool .This was a fenced of area of the pool which was only 2 feet. Great for skating on in the winters of the 60s

Isn't it sad the kids of today do not have the opportunity to do things we did, life is far too serious. How I loved the paddle boats and also the rowing boats on Handsworth Park. :smitten:

Even my own kids I feel they have always worked so hard both for their education and to earn money to help get it. My life was so simple in comparison - although I don't have their education, so what can I say. ::)

Hello all,

I have been reading the lovely stories about the boats in Sutton Park I grew up in Sutton and worked on the boats in the school holidays in the early 60's. We didn't get paid much but I was taught to row the "big boats" this was quite something for a girl!. I have shown off this skill many times as I have two sons. I also used to go fishing in the punts with my eldest brother in Bracebridge, again another useful skill as I could take my sons fishing and had no problem with maggots!

I reckon it must've been the late sixties. i was just a kid, around 5 or 6 years of age & my Mum n Dad used to let me go on the paddle boats. My Dad was in the army & when ever he got leave we would be back up to Birmingham (from Aldershot) to stay with my Gran & Grandad, who lived just up the road by the Scott Arms.
Those paddle boats! I absolutely loved 'em. Even the approach walk, down Perry Avenue was magical. I guess because the opportunity only happened once or twice a year. I think maybe you were allowed a couple of laps or cicuits so is was best to take your time. I think my Mum still has a black n white photo of me & my brother in the paddle boats. I'll ask to borrow it & try to post it here.
What would the health & safety executive make of the paddle boats these days?:D
img531.jpg

img532.jpg

Last edited:
We had such great fun on the paddles boats, but i hate to admit it :rolleyes:we would stay out on them and then jump out when we thought the coast was clear:D:D:D naughty naughty...Cat:)

Paddle boats.

:2140: Catkin. I've commited that very crime. Got chased by the parkie for catching frogs in the brook as well. I used to end up with blisters on the palms of my hands through those paddle boats. Still there was always sticking plasters. :2140: My husband has just said he used to get blisters as well. :rolleyes: TTFN. Jean.

re paddle boats

HI,wendy,we used to go on the boats in sutton park.punt fishing in the winter.wow it was cold out there,one very cold frosty morning my sister in law who was with us,wanted a wee.so we went to the bank,she jumped off the punt onto the bank,and splash down she went up to her knees in mud,we had to pull her out,and try to dig here wellies out.what a laugh.she did not think it was funny.:D:D

Rowing

I learn't to row on the lakes in Witton and later in life i used to row down at Dartmouth, I have had some wonderful fun on the water and on land when we got stuck on a sand bank and had to wait for the tide....Cat:)

hi all. i remember very well as a child walking from villa st to perry hall park with mom and dad to go on the paddle boats. if memory serves me there was a wooden hut where we used to buy our pop and crisps ect. there was some talk of reinventing it but due to health and safety and mindless vandels i cant see it happening. such a shame. wales.

Wooden shed.

:2140:Hi Wales. My husband even remembers the colour of the shed. GREEN. He said there was a putting green at the back. Lovely days. TTFN. Jean. :2140:

Back