• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paddle Boats

Used to go to Perry hall playing fields most days as i walked to School in Dorrington road. Rarely went on the paddle boats as not enough pocket money.

My Mom used to take my brother and I to Perry Hall playing fields quite often. I went on the paddle boats once or twice, but mostly we just went in the paddling pool next to it as it was free!.. I also went to Dorrington Road Junior and Infant School. 1956-1962

Does anyone remember the double canoes at Handsworth Park? Must have been late 50's. No life jackets handed out in those days...

Hi folks listen in to Ed Doolan on radio WM at 1 0clock today. The subject is going to be paddle boats in our parks with Carl Chinn. It is going to be a phone in. Anyone up for it?. Jean.

I use to live in Derrydown Road 1959-1965 overlooking Perry Hall Park and at that time my mother use to run The Cafe in the Park, we knew all the Parkies and Boat keepers so use to use the Paddle Boats for free.
Gary Troman.

hi gary and welcome to the forum...very good chance your mom served my parents at that cafe...as young children we would walk to perry hall park from aston and hockley fishing nets at the ready..pretty sure ive a pic of me and my bro on the paddle boats...will try and find it later on and post it...am i right in thinking you come from summer lane ??

lyn

Thank you for the welcome Lyn..
Yes, I lived in Summer Lane until I was about 4 years old.....My nan use to own a Florist in Summer Lane during late 50's/60's...I'm trying desperately to find information about her and her shop..from what I can remember it was close to Milton Street and close to where Balwin House now stands.

Hi Garry I too used those paddle boats till my hands were covered in blisters. Al did recognize you dad as Miriam did too.

Miriam just sent an e.mail so will tell her on my reply. Peter said there was a green hut by the paddle boats.

This is a photo of my best mate at the time(Stephen Boughton of Derrydown Road) taken in August 1964.
001.jpg

We had such great fun on the paddles boats, but i hate to admit it :rolleyes:we would stay out on them and then jump out when we thought the coast was clear:D:D:D naughty naughty...Cat:)
Ahh so it was you who abandoned the boats out of site of the pay office but you did my friend and i a great favor as we used to assist the bosun as we called him then he was the chap who used to take the money and look after the boats he wore a kind of nautical uniform he used to pay us with a fag or two tut tut happy days .

Hi wayback and welcome to the forum. I think there were quite a few of us who did the same thing. We would be called in then carried on round again. Happy days.

I helped on the paddle boats at Blackroot Pool in Sutton Park in the school holidays about 1965. They were in a shallow fenced off area of the lake. We didnt get paid but I was taught to row properly, something I never forgot which I remember stunned my sons when they first saw me row our little boat...ha ha

This is a photo of my best mate at the time(Stephen Boughton of Derrydown Road) taken in August 1964.
001.jpg
gg
Great pic. and yes that double brick wall always a small challenge to walk across it with water both sides mind it wasent that deep it certainly brings it all back

gg
Great pic. and yes that double brick wall always a small challenge to walk across it with water both sides mind it wasent that deep it certainly brings it all back
Wouldn't be a beeches road school blazer he's wearing would it, seem to recognise the badge.

Back