• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

craelius and co cheston road aston dated 1968

image.jpeg

court 38 woodcock st nr gosta green..1930s

image.jpeg

This one - unknown location but it's in birmingham as ive posted it before but forgot to write down location

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
HI JAMES AND COOKIE
When we was on the lichfield rd we never had a celler we had a coal bunker ; when we went to church lane islleyscoal yard
we had to keep i in the garden but when we moved to ladywood we had a local coal man and a celler he would drop it down
and one of us had to count it down some times we got soot over our faces when we came up because half a bag of slack was in the bag and it some times short measured it would cloud up our od man would check is bags before dropping it
but it seems to been he norm for coal men to do this trick and short people i went to school with a guy named norman taylor whom married hilda in springfield st
ladywood and when he left school he joined his dad on the coal round always black faxcedwhen coming home from the job;
best wishes ASTONIAN

last one for today..and one of my favourites although not a street..the heaving old bull ring never to be seen like this again..dated 1967

img666.jpg

Lyn, how many of us, when we see this sort of pic, look for our relatives or even ourselves? I know I do!

well i was going to go back to the 50s but changed my mind so here are a few pics of the 70s

coventry rd/muntz st 1971

image.jpeg

cherry st 1972

image.jpeg

demolision work in old cross st (facing ryder st) 1972

image.jpeg

alexandra road balsall heath 1972...i love this one..

image.jpeg

I had a few pints in the Malt Shovel on Coventry Road in the 60's, great to see it again had quite forgotten what it looked like.
paul

hi paul i posted that one in the hopes that someone may recognise themselves...

lyn

Hi Astoness, Good to see Church Road Perry Barr !!!! Used to get off the 90 from Kingstanding with a few of my mates to go too church on a Sunday, Well thats what we told
our parents it was the Church Tavern Pub it was one of the few places we could get in under age Ha Ha . The good old days when a pint of mild cost 1 and threpence a pint..

Thanks for all the photos of the past brings back loads of memmories

Pete Ex Pat

only 40 odd years paul..lol..but i do know what you mean about recognising yourself..i have had a pic now for over 4 years of a girl walking past the corner of farm st and guilford..the family think and i have a gut feeling its me when i was about 13 ish prob coming from visiting my nan in paddington st but i just cant say for certain..

lyn

Hi Astoness, Good to see Church Road Perry Barr !!!! Used to get off the 90 from Kingstanding with a few of my mates to go too church on a Sunday, Well thats what we told
our parents it was the Church Tavern Pub it was one of the few places we could get in under age Ha Ha . The good old days when a pint of mild cost 1 and threpence a pint..

Thanks for all the photos of the past brings back loads of memmories

Pete Ex Pat

as always its a pleasure pete..i used to use the church back in the early 70s the one night when we were in there we had a power cut..all the pumps went off......nice pub..

lyn

hi ernie hope you are keeping well..nice to see you posting again..there is a caption for the 2nd pic in my first post..its great russelll st..

hope this helps..

lyn[/QUOTE)

Many Thanks Lyn.
post 61 4 th Photo looks like a court I knew in Coleman Street but I don't want to be confusing.Thank You again Lyn.

Last edited:
hi ernie...you could well be right about the 4th photo on post 61 as its an unknown pic...i did have the caption for it but ive lost it...

lyn

glad you are enjoying them pol...going back to the 30s now...

gravelly hill/tyburn road erdington 1938

image.jpeg

high st/church road erdington 1938..think that maybe st barnabas church in the background

image.jpeg

colmore row dated 27th dec 1938..wouldnt see it so quiet these days...the streets would be full of the sales shoppers...

image.jpeg

moor st 1932 showing dingleys hotel..

image.jpeg

Great photo's so clear and sharp, photo 698 looks quite modern a contemporary photo without the nasty traffic.
paul

pol i thought it maybe bread in the basket but its difficult to say for sure...

img106.jpg
Not a great picture but it is interesting because the writing with it says' Corporation Street' about 1900 and it is viewed from New Street Station. It goes on to say The street was begun in 1878 and replaced some of the city's worst slums, and describes the area in pre development times as a rookery of crime and wretchedness.

Back