• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

yes topsy and the washing lines strung from one house accross to the other..i love these old street photos as they do give us a good insight into the social history side of life...

lyn

Brilliant photos Lyn. How things change in such a relatively (to me) short time. Thanks for all the time and trouble.

i know charlie..it wasnt really that long ago was it..will be posting some more later on..

lyn

This is not exactly a street veiw, it is labelled Sutton parade, date unknown, does anyone recognise it?the parade sutton.jpg

yes topsy and the washing lines strung from one house accross to the other..i love these old street photos as they do give us a good insight into the social history side of life...

lyn

Yes there's so much period charm. Just wonder who the size 20 bloomers on the line belong to, the ones that are a danger to passing aircraft. Any idea Lyn? No assumptions from this end of course....

hey richie are can remembers our nans bloomers being pegged out...i keep mine in me knicker drawer well hidden lol...just sorted out the next lot for scanning...

lyn

Lyn, many thanks for posting the latest batch of photos, I think one or two captions are wrong though. On post 9 showing Clifton Road, I am sure the shop Priests was on the corner of Clifton Road and Upper Sutton Street, again Post 11 I feel is Upper Sutton Street towards the junction of Victoria Road, perhaps Ray Barratt will know as he lived in Clifton Road.

thanks sylv..i rely on members to correct any wrong captions so will wait to see what ray can tell us about those 2 pics..

thanks sylv..

lyn

cuckoo road nechells dated 1967..note the old anderson shelter in the garden..

image.jpeg

hingeston st dated 1967..showing the rose and crown pub where our dad was living from a few weeks old..this street was also used in the shooting of the docu/film cathy come home..
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
gt hampton st hockley with the gothic pub just showing on the right..dated 1964

image.jpeg

a court off high park st nechells dated 1966

image.jpeg K

rear of lawence st gosta green dated..1967

image.jpeg

bridge st west/wheeler st dated 1965

image.jpeg

lichfield road aston

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
court 11 William Edward St Balsall Heath dated..1965 post 29, that was the next yard up from ours,

Hi Lynn, great photos, the one of Lichfield Road in post #43 is 'snuffy Rowleys', I used to fetch my dad's Sporting Buff and his woodbines from there, he sold everything from potmenders to Fenning's 'little healers'.

Lyn, love these pics, even if I don't know where some of them are, they carry a wealth of insight onto how things used to be. The Bull Ring one brings back memories though, can remember walking through it bustling like the pic as a youngster, with mom and nan and dad at Xmas, also with he great-aunts and aunt on the way to the meat and fish market.
Astonite, will show mom the pic of the Parade, she lived in Sutton from 1950,sure she will recall it like that, as may wendy, she lived there too I think.
Sue

hi sue yes i can remember when the bull ring was like that..even up to the middle 80s when my sister had a stall there and i use to help her it was always so busy...i may go back a decade with my next pics..

lyn

Many thanks Lyn,The Photograph of Lichfield Rd Aston and of 'Rowleys' shop jolted my memory when you entered that shop it was a very dark place, I think at that time when I was living in Sutherland St 'Ernie Rowley' used to serve,I did my paper round at that time,remember it well you could stroll across the Lichfield Rd the only vehicle's to watch were the Tram cars and just across from Sutherland St was the coal yard (forgot the name) with many a time pushing home a barrow 1cwt coal home, 'Hell'! now you've opened the filing cabinet of the mind.Aye JR

Hi ASTONITE,Where about's did you reside?,Cheers All

Great photo's Lyn.
Thanks for taking the time to post these great photo's I know everyone appreciates it.

Thanks Stars

lol john..1929 is when our dad lived at the pub...thanks for spotting that ive just edited the post..

lyn

hi james
just read your thread with intrest and on the subject of coal the best to place to get the coal or coke was the gas works or if you did not fancy queing
up for hours the second best choice was isleys coal yard up in church lane good coal but a littlecost more than the gas workd sunderland was a very good place for coal it was more of a slack pile thancoal you only got the bits of nuts with it our old man always sent to the other two gas works for coke where it came down a big chute or isley yard for the coal big good coal a tanner or a bob to hire the barrow and come back and get your bob ; back
astonian

happy to post them james...thank you for putting down you memories and please keep em coming...

lyn

Astonian our Nan never had coke because of the fumes, always coal and only the best and always delivered - very finnicky our Nan. She would lift the grating and count the bags as he tipped them down the cellar or get me to do it, not very trusting either. This was in Queens Rd Aston opposite Atkinsons brewery Eric

Last edited:
Hi James R, the name of the coal wharf opposite Sutherland St, was Williams's, it backed onto the canal, I had a coal round when I was about 9 and used to hire a barrow from there for a shilling deposit, people used to pay from threepence onwards for you to fetch them a cwt of coal. I lived on Lichfield Rd in the 40s/50s. Here are a couple of photos that might interest you.Lichfield Road Aston 1949.jpgView attachment 72923

thanks for the pics astonite...eric we always had to stand and make sure the right amount of coal was dropped down our cellar in villa st..mr simkiss was our coalman and i think he either lived in church st or burbury st...

lyn

Back