• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

It still is a rookery of crime and wretchedness with the Midland Bank on what is now our right-hand corner. (Oops, 'allegedly'. Don't want to startle the forum's lawyers!)

yes dotti i would say it was yardley cem...glad you are enjoying the photos....

lyn

Sorry Dotti,

84 is Yardley Old Church - St Edburgha's. Church lane comes from the Yew Tree (behind the photographer) and carries on to Glebe farm - walked it many a time from '66 to '74!
For a year I had a Bedsit near yardley Cemetery and still went to Glebe Farm Baptist Church - not a bad stroll.

later drove it it a few times, but they blocked the road off noe 'Yardley Village' It is no longder a through route.

Brian

morning bri...i keep meaning to take a look at yardley village...really must try and get there this year..

lyn

Wonderful photos Lyn thanks for posting, have really enjoyed looking at them. All the best formula t

Lyn, many thanks for posting all these photos, we do appreciate all the time you devote to this. May I comment that I think the photo on post 61 of Woodcock street looks more like the 1950s than the 1930s as the pram looks more from the 50s era.

Lyn, at last I've found time to sit and look through all these wonderful photo's. Thank you so much for all your efforts in putting them on the Forum for us all to enjoy.

hi sylv you could be right about the date..as you know we do get some wrong uns....

maggs i will be busy tomorrow but hopefully find time on tues or weds to put some more on....

lyn

couple from the 50s...

high st/martinea st 1958 demolition of henrys to make way for littlewoods

image.jpeg

hurst st 1957..leading up to the work taking place on smallbrook ringway..the locarno was buillt on the right of the empire fish bar..

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah A. you can see Crooked Lane leading off past the building at the back of Henry's. That Triangle is what remained of it and that is the same dating of the one with the two ladies walking down to Martineau. At the top you can see a couple of windows of a building on Union Passage. Just to the right of the front of Henry's was the location of the Lamb House of yore. I wonder if Cadbuy's first factory was on the Henry's site at one time.

hi rupert i think i did read some time back that it was in crooked lane that cadbury first started his chocolate making..that would have to be checked though..

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
the first experiments were done in the shop in bull st, but the firat practical cocoa production (this was drinking cocoa then) was in his factory in Crooked lane , apparently a four storey building with a steam engine

I read it was at or near the bottom of Crooked Lane so I think that it probably was on the old Henry's site. On the Crooked Lane thread the photo with the horse and cart on has a building on the left that looked substantial enough to be four stories and it was close to the end of the lane.

The Crooked Lane factory was supposed to be a former malthouse if that's any help. Viv.

olton boulevard east/warwick road acocks green dated 1936

image.jpeg

stoney lane sparkbrook dated 6th jan 1937...after 30 years this was the last day for the stratford road route..

image.jpeg

new st 1936

image.jpeg

Interesting the cart in front of the Cathedral says Great Western Railway on the side - wonder what they used it for?

thanks stars..

the end of a 130 year old landmark that towered over hoskins and sewell ltd high st bordesley dated 1966

image.jpeg

to all concerned on this thread, what excellent pictures please keep them coming, kind reguards sidwho

Some very interesting old pictures here. One or two items caught my eye.

In post 116 the street name (Rupert Street) looks of unusual design to that normally seen in Birmingham. Maybe it is of a style adopted by the city in more recent times.

The G.W.R. delivery cart was to be seen anywhere there was a G.W.R. goods depot. The same went for the other railways. All manner of goods were carried.

The picture of the bus, in New Street 1936 negotiating the road works, brings the thought that more than many other places in the UK, bus drivers and other motorists, have had quite a job familiarizing themselves with diversions and new road systems. The city pre, WW2, altered roads and some one way systems, WW2 caused very many diversions and the restructuring of the city road network after WW2 piled even more 'new road knowledge' on everyone.

Back