• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

When we start searching for locations in Birmingham I'm always reminded about the ones that 'got away' such as this bomb blasted substantial corner property. It looks like a Doctors, see small notices on the garden wall by the lady who has stopped with her pram. It is from the lost Shoothill collection so no chance of seeing a higher res example. The sign on the lampost only reads 'Shelter'. I suppose not enough clues to identify it but it is part of Birmingham's history.
image.jpg
from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...age-in-unidentified-streets.45254/post-550907

The A34 Walsall Road also runs through Perry Bar and the outer circle 11 bus route crossed it at Trinity Road/ Heathfield Road, I don't recognise the place in the photo but could it be there?

Yes looks like Stratford rd junction with School Road/Colebank rd, Hall Green College on left, The Horseshoe Pub on right,
No.11 Outer Circle bus crossing
How did I not recognise this picture? I went to school in 1950's on number 11 bus route, on same route to work in 1960's through this junction, even went to Hall Green tech for a while. I still remember that School Rd and Colebank Rd were misaligned with a layby where you could park for a quick getaway after college, that there was an Atco mower shop on the corner of School Rd and a fashion shop on the opposite side that had the same name as a film actress, Jill Ireland.

Found this print on Fb "Old Photos of Birmingham" States that it is Camp Hill and that combination of tram and bus design dates it as early 1950's but where on Camp Hill? Looks a bit too leafy for the junction of Stratford Rd and Sandy Lane but can't think where else it could be. Suggestions.

Attachments

• Screenshot (25).png
    Screenshot (25).png
    359.1 KB · Views: 61
Found this print on Fb "Old Photos of Birmingham" States that it is Camp Hill and that combination of tram and bus design dates it as early 1950's but where on Camp Hill? Looks a bit too leafy for the junction of Stratford Rd and Sandy Lane but can't think where else it could be. Suggestions.
Think this was taken from Leopold Street with the friends institute in the back right.

Attachments

• 0EFBEFDF-E7D4-46FD-B3FC-1BF30F1B44C4.jpeg
    0EFBEFDF-E7D4-46FD-B3FC-1BF30F1B44C4.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 16
This piccy was taken from Leopold Street. The Friends Institute is on the right.

Attachments

• 29732A07-D377-49F1-84E0-8D83755E658E.jpeg
    29732A07-D377-49F1-84E0-8D83755E658E.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 34
This, as said previously, is Camp Hill. The 44A bus route was Stratford Road and then Warwick Road, terminating at Lincoln Road North. The tram was on its way to Kyotts Lake Road depot.
The trams using Leopold Street ceased operation in October 1949, some year or two before that bus entered service.

Small Heath Library on Green Lane with Little Green Lane on the left. Unfortunately no date.
View attachment 128135

A later picture from Birmingham buildings; the architectural story of a Midland city by Little, Bryan D. G (1971)

“William Martin's library at Small Heath dramatically occupies a triangular site which also includes public baths. It was opened in late 1893.”

7C1D437F-AF4D-46F7-8443-E2E05E60E499.jpeg

wonder if the same company built these
533683713_626dcfe0e2_b.jpg
1024px-Nechells_Swimming_Baths.jpg

Nechells Swimming Baths

A later picture from Birmingham buildings; the architectural story of a Midland city by Little, Bryan D. G (1971)

“William Martin's library at Small Heath dramatically occupies a triangular site which also includes public baths. It was opened in late 1893.”

View attachment 176138
Lovely picture, brings back memories of the library and the swimming baths spent many happy hours there , not that I was ever a great swimmer .
I like the car parking right outside the library doors, and the old type bus stops with the circular signage (15,16, and 17 routes) from town via digbeth, Coventry Road , Green Lane , Hobmoor Road, and onto Yardley, Whittington Oval, Garrets Green dependant on what number bus you got.

A good example of history repeating itself, post war Birmingham had a committee named the Birmingham Gas and Electric Economy Committee to encourage residents to manage both gas and electricity consumption.
One of the committees initiatives was to paint clock face’s to highlight the periods of maximum demands on gas and electricity usage.
The picture shows the clock faces at Five Ways being painted (circa 1948) note the relaxed stance of the gentleman painting the clock , standing on one leg.

Attachments

• E1149D18-4BBF-4534-AA52-9250FD7FF35B.jpeg
    E1149D18-4BBF-4534-AA52-9250FD7FF35B.jpeg
    566.6 KB · Views: 58

View attachment 176138
The commemorative stone for Green Lane swimming baths dated 29/10/ 1902 by Alderman John Henry Lloyd then Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Bio attached source Graces Guide

Attachments

• ADBD58F3-2C94-46F9-A881-BAA26CE3A034.jpeg
    ADBD58F3-2C94-46F9-A881-BAA26CE3A034.jpeg
    876.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 8AB7001D-D919-4FE2-87D2-C9C87C535722.jpeg
    8AB7001D-D919-4FE2-87D2-C9C87C535722.jpeg
    750.1 KB · Views: 16
Perry Barr Birchfield Rd Underpass 1962

View attachment 156044
I too used to go to Birchfield Road School then as I lived in the maisonette’s by the flats in Perry Barr. I went to Perry Beeches junior school and then onto Great Barr Comprehensive and left in 1971. I worked part time when still at school in the hairdressers called Maisonette Celeste- what a fantastic time it was.

I too used to go to Birchfield Road School then as I lived in the maisonette’s by the flats in Perry Barr. I went to Perry Beeches junior school and then onto Great Barr Comprehensive and left in 1971. I worked part time when still at school in the hairdressers called Maisonette Celeste- what a fantastic time it was.
I remember Maison Celeste hairdressers!
I had my hair cut there a couple of times as a special treat, my mother too.

Back