• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Yes looks like Stratford rd junction with School Road/Colebank rd, Hall Green College on left, The Horseshoe Pub on right,
No.11 Outer Circle bus crossing
Yes I agree although I have a slight problem with the Horseshoe Pub although it has changed a lot over the years. The website from the link below is interesting .... click on the pic to see written content

The present road sign approaching the Stratford Road - Cole Bank Road junction indicates A34 to City Centre straight on: Kings Heath and Stirchley to the left on B4146: and Acocks Green and Yardley to the right on B4146 (A4040). These are far more local destinations compared to Walsall, Dudley and Nuneaton on the road sign under discussion. Could have just been a change of procedure because the original photograph does look like what I remember of that junction.

Yes I agree although I have a slight problem with the Horseshoe Pub although it has changed a lot over the years. The website from the link below is interesting .... click on the pic to see written content
This is a shot from 2009, just past a bus stop on left (yellow dotted lines), note large tree branches on left as in photo

middle left: same slip road from Hall Green Library & Telephone Exchange

A34.jpg

Last edited:
The excellent link shown by oldMohawk has the photo in very high resolution.
The sign further on the left does say Kings Heath is 2 1/2 miles to the left, but I agree I do not recognise the front of the Horseshoe as it is seen here.

29000654375_96ef4de652_oC.jpg

When we start searching for locations in Birmingham I'm always reminded about the ones that 'got away' such as this bomb blasted substantial corner property. It looks like a Doctors, see small notices on the garden wall by the lady who has stopped with her pram. It is from the lost Shoothill collection so no chance of seeing a higher res example. The sign on the lampost only reads 'Shelter'. I suppose not enough clues to identify it but it is part of Birmingham's history.
image.jpg
from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...age-in-unidentified-streets.45254/post-550907

The A34 Walsall Road also runs through Perry Bar and the outer circle 11 bus route crossed it at Trinity Road/ Heathfield Road, I don't recognise the place in the photo but could it be there?

Yes looks like Stratford rd junction with School Road/Colebank rd, Hall Green College on left, The Horseshoe Pub on right,
No.11 Outer Circle bus crossing
How did I not recognise this picture? I went to school in 1950's on number 11 bus route, on same route to work in 1960's through this junction, even went to Hall Green tech for a while. I still remember that School Rd and Colebank Rd were misaligned with a layby where you could park for a quick getaway after college, that there was an Atco mower shop on the corner of School Rd and a fashion shop on the opposite side that had the same name as a film actress, Jill Ireland.

Found this print on Fb "Old Photos of Birmingham" States that it is Camp Hill and that combination of tram and bus design dates it as early 1950's but where on Camp Hill? Looks a bit too leafy for the junction of Stratford Rd and Sandy Lane but can't think where else it could be. Suggestions.

Attachments

• Screenshot (25).png
    Screenshot (25).png
    359.1 KB · Views: 61
Back