• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old Church Edgbaston (st Bartholomew)

M

mand

Hi All,

Is there anyone out there that knows Edgbaston that can tell me which church would have been classed as the Parish Church in 1841? It came under the Kings Norton district.

Thanks

Mand

Hi Mand, Yes, the Parish Church for Edgbaston is St Bartholomew as already mentioned. It started as a chapel in 1340, so that makes it the oldest. The Registration District was Kings Norton around 1839 when my Gt Gt Grandfather was married there. Other churches in the area ie St Georges, St James, St Augustines and St Ambrose were built during the Victorian era.

Anthea:)

Hi,
Is anyone able to do a 'look up' for me for st Bartholomews or is it a library visit?
Mand

Hi Mand.

Called in at Edgbaston Church (St Batholemews) where my ancestors were married James Lancelot Mole 7 June 1841 and his nephew also James Mole 24 September 1882 so I have taken a few photo's for my files, the outside,the entrance,the Alter and the Font which you are welcome to print if you wish.
I found there was a very calm and tranquil atmosphere witin the church.Wonderful feeling.

Regards Steerboy.

Steerboy, So pleased you posted the pictures of Edgbaston Church. It looks very well looked after both inside and out. My 3xGreat Grandfather married there in 1808 and as I mentioned above his son married there in 1839.

Anthea:)

Hi Steerboy,
thanks for posting the photos. always great to see, you can almost imagine the family in the pews.
thanks again
Mand

Steerboy, thank you so much for posting the photos of St. Bartholomews, my grandparents married there May 16th 1897, it is a wonderful church, I have been meaning to visit it since I found they married there. On the cert. they were living in Gooch Street, which is why I had such difficulty finding where they married as all the information I had gathered was both sides of the family had always lived in Aston. Can you tell me the name of the road it is situated on.

Hi Sylviasayers.

This church is well worth a visit.
If you approach it from the County Cricket ground you come to Priory Road, with the Priory Private Hospital on your left go up that hill till you come to a traffic island turn sharp left in to Church Road and it is directly on your left.
As I was there on a Sunday I was able to park outside the gated entrance but be aware that these are very busy roads during the week days so parking near will be quite a problem.
I too had problems locating my people there as they all came from the Bordesley and Digbeth area how they ended up there I will never know.

Enjoy your trip Regards Steerboy.

Thanks Steerboy, I will try and choose a quiet time to visit, I love going in the churches connected to my ancestors and try to imagine them getting married or having a baby christened, it is sometimes quite emotional although you never knew them. I do remember my grandparents who married at St. Barts though.

When I was a boy I lived by Warley Woods and we all heard about The Grey Lady. I went round the back of the Abbey several times out of bravado but always ran round glad to come out the other side.

I recently took some photos of Edgbaston Old Church.

Seems like there has been a church on this site since 1279, and was damaged during the Civil War. And later was rebuilt up to the 19th century.

I was on the other side of Church Road.

Edgbaston Old Church (St Bartholomew) by ell brown, on Flickr

Edgbaston Old Church (St Bartholomew) - clock on tower by ell brown, on Flickr

Grade II listed building - see British Listed Buildings Church of St Bartholomew

Of uniform Perpendicular appearance, but largely of the C17 and C19,
especially the latter, Tower with dragonal buttresses, early C16 in its lower
parts and probably C17 in its upper. North aisle probably late C15 and with
2-light perpendicular window and the gabled stone C17 porch. South aisle
1856 by F W Fiddian. Chancel and chapels, 1885-86, the under south aisle,
1889, all by J A Chatwin. Interior with 3 uniform arcades, all apparently
C19. Good series of minor C18 and early C19 wall tablets, one by King and
Sons of Bath and not a few by William Hollins of Birmingham.

ellbrown, Very nice photos of St Bartholomews Church where my ancesters were married in the 18th and 19th centuries. I saw some pictures of the interior of the church which may have been Flickr, but it was a long time ago; it might be worth having another look though.

I'm lucky enough to have this as my parish church and my daughter was married there seven years ago - almost exactly 125 years after her great, great grandfather was married there! Family hasn't always lived in the parish - we seem to have gone round full-circle though.
Here's the website https://www.edgbastonoldchurch.org.uk/index.html with some information and pictures of the windows. If there are any specific shots you would like to see, please let me know and I'll walk round there and snap them.

Thanks for posting these photos Elli my grandparents were married there in 1896. I really must go and look round one of these days.

n,b.jpeg
This image was in this mornings paper on Carl Chins Page. Edgbaston Old Church 1933.

I have recently been looking into a matter of supposed Edgbaston Old Church (St. Barts) 'history'.... but, in searching through various - albeit restricted - Victorian newspaper archives, I'm now wondering whether the incident concerned may be pure 'Folklore', rather than anything more substantial?

In short, I was attempting to find some records pertaining to the alleged suicide of a gentleman named Thomas Jackson, who is said to have ended his life 'in' the church itself - through cutting his throat with a razor - at some point in the 1840's!?

Despite having seen references to this incident in a number of places over the decades - including tracts written by local historians - I simply cannot unearth any actual contemporary, 'historical' records concerning the matter? Well-known local historian, Chris Upton, wrote a piece for a local newspaper in the early 90's which mentions the matter (seemingly as an aspect of bona-fide history). Another piece, from a short-lived periodical called 'Midland Murders, Mysteries and Legends' (released in 1995) also mentions the matter.... though pretty much all references that I've seem contain exactly the same details, so, I guess, originate with the same references?

The only historical piece that I have managed to find (so far) that even touches on the subject is an article from a local newspaper for the mid-1800's; a ridiculously OTT 'ghost story' that basically sounds 'cheesier' than a wheel of Stilton! Laugh! Despite the fact that the suicide itself supposedly took place at some point in the 1840's, the piece - only around a decade after the supposed tragedy - seems to already treat the topic as an aspect of distant history / folklore at very best.... which perhaps suggests that the suggested date is pure fantasy, of behalf of some storyteller or other?

I have recently contacted the church itself about the matter and (rather surprisingly, I must add) received a reply on the topic. Unfortunately, they have no record of the supposed event, though they have a record of the aforementioned piece, written by Chris Upton, in their files.......

Back