• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ison and Rowley Ancestors Birmingham - Kidderminster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reporting that I have started to enter all your great work into Wikitree. I now have a 4th great grandfather and grandmother. William (Izon) Ison and Mary Smith. I will enter the 2 more wives and many children on a rotating basis so I will continue to clean up my Wikitree obligations that are already badly entered. I am continuing to be amazed of my ignorance of the world significance of Birmingham. It was the Silicon Valley of the 1600 to 1800s. "Birmingham is one of England's principal industrial centres and has a history of industrial and scientific innovation. It was once known as 'city of a thousand trades' and in 1791, Arthur Young (the writer and commentator on British economic life) described Birmingham as "the first manufacturing town in the world". And still today "By the year 2000, of the 4,000 inventions copyrighted annually in the UK, 2,800 came from within a 35-mile radius of Birmingham."
I wonder why my 2nd great grandfather, Walter George Ison, left and immigrated with his family to Brisbane. He did though immediately set up a multi generational coach works with 2 branches. And he got good sub tropical weather and surf. And deadly snakes, spiders and other assorted vermin. And he was very much a pioneer in a young Brisbane. A big fish in a small pond. All of Queensland had a population of 23,520 in 1859. Queensland became a separate State from New South Wales in 1859. Walter and family arrived 1883. Australia as a separate country from England did not become the federal Commonwealth of Australia until 1 January 1901. Brisbane now has 2.5 million with the fastest growth rate in Australia. Apartment towers everywhere close in.

For the most part we can only guess why our ancestors did what they did. I suppose, like today, Walter moved in the hope of a better life. There was a lot of change happening and traditional ways of life were ending and new opportunities opening within England & beyond.

My 2 x g grandfather's brother and his family emigrated to Australia in the 1840s, then to California and finally back to Australia without most of them. Impossible to say if his life was better or worse than it would have been if he'd stayed.

The thing I wonder about most is how much, if any, contact people who emigrated had with their family afterwards at that time.

I forgot to say, one of Amos' half brothers lived in Ohio for a number of years.

And it's possible that another, Henry, emigrated to Australia (Victoria) before Walter, he's the only one I can't trace.

I missed this gem. Yes please Janice. I would like the page.
I have sent it to Lyn - sorry for any delay but Saturday is a bit busy. The quality is not good because of the age and it is not a certificate like the others as it is pre registration.
Apologies I thought it was the marriage. Will have to find baptism and send.

Last edited:
Thank you Janice. To MWS, yes we will never know if immigrated people communicated with the family they left behind. There were slow letters available.

Note of interest to the group (I think) my 4th great grandfather that you found and discovered 11 or 12 children and 3 wives and secured birth, marriage, death sources, I was able to see the original Parish book looking for the church and location. As expected at the front it said St Peter's at Stretton-on-Fosse, Warwickshire. I thought that a bit strange being a Stretton. The name I then discovered means village on a Roman Road. Stretton means "settlement on a Roman road" (from the Old English stræt and tun). In this case the road is Fosse Way.
Hope this correct.

Thought that might be the case so I have the wrong baltism record of another William Ison born in 1799 down the road. Can I be directed to the correct record. Glad I brought this up. You folk are so good with fact.

You mentioned the correct baptism in post #57. No image has been posted but that early it may be just a single line - 14 May, William, son of William and Mary Ison under the year 1799.

Sorry, I have been given the correct baptism record 14 May 1799 Arley and checking the record I found it is indeed the same. I pressed on a source image reference in one of my profiles and got Stretton-on-Fosse. Now I need to find who that is because it's not the baptism of William Ison.

Sorry for the confusion. I have both a digital citation and an image that match. I don't know what I did. Doing too many different threads in one day perhaps. All is good and correct.

On William's marriage to Mary Smith one of the witnesses is Martha Ison. I think she is William's sister.
Baptised Sept 22nd 1805 at Arley daughter of William and Mary and surname Izon.

Attachments

• Martha baptism 1805.jpg
    Martha baptism 1805.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Susannah 1808. There are 4 others - Mary 1801, Joseph 1803, Ann 1810 & Elizabeth 1813.

Not too much info.

Mary and Ann died young, for Ann it sadly says burnt to death.

I have found Mary and Ann

Attachments

• Mary baptism 1801.jpg
    Mary baptism 1801.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • Ann baptism 1810.jpg
    Ann baptism 1810.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The baptisms flagged up on Ancestry for John and Elizabeth don't lead to correct entries. The baptism for John at Nuneaton is the son of a William and Mary but not Ison (or Izon).
Yhat fro Elizabeth seems to be the daughter of Mary and Joseph.
I will search Arley reg later.
Mark where did you see Ann "burnt to death"? edit - have found it see next post

Last edited:
I don't think the Ann burnt is the same one. 8th Aug 1812
1699108057703.png

Memorandum Ann Izon was burnt to death ????? fire and Joseph Husband was killed by house ?? and falling upon him.

Attachments

• Wrong Ann burial.jpg
    Wrong Ann burial.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
You rarely find anything of additional use on early baptisms and burials, so lucky to have that.

Sorry to be a pain Janice but are you able to see who the witnesses are on the marriage of William Izon & Mary Manton, 27 Feb 1798 St Martin's Bham.

Thanks. I'd found a possible baptism for that William, his father being a John. So a John Izon being a witness maybe means it could be correct.

The other witness, Ann Sharrad, maybe an Ann Ison who married a John Sherwood.

And maybe able to take John back one more generation but nothing is certain.

On William's marriage to Mary Smith one of the witnesses is Martha Ison. I think she is William's sister.
Baptised Sept 22nd 1805 at Arley daughter of William and Mary and surname Izon.
Thank you Janice, more family in Birmingham district. I will add her to my program and soon to the Wikitree. Is it St Peter's Arly Church? Does it say? This one is easy to read. No doubt about the relation with the same parents.

Thanks. I'd found a possible baptism for that William, his father being a John. So a John Izon being a witness maybe means it could be correct.

The other witness, Ann Sharrad, maybe an Ann Ison who married a John Sherwood.

And maybe able to take John back one more generation but nothing is certain.
Wow, this is getting serious.

Janice, attached is the William Izon sibling record with parents. Is this correct?

Attachments

• William Izon siblings and parents.pdf
    7.7 KB · Views: 5
Janice, the wives and children of William Izon. (1799-1869). I expect there are children to Ann Yates as well.

Attachments

• William Izon - wives and children.pdf
    11.7 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back