• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ison and Rowley Ancestors Birmingham - Kidderminster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shustoke baptism (really easy to read) William baptised July 13 1777 son of John and Sarah

Attachments

• William 1777 baptism.jpg
    William 1777 baptism.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 4
There is also a baptism in 1775 at Shustoke of a John son of John and Sarah

Attachments

• John Ison 1775.jpg
    John Ison 1775.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Didn't see him, which gives a third option for the witness to William's marriage.

Best marriage I can see for John & Sarah (Kesterton) is Jan 1775 Great Packington.

Yes, that's the one. Thanks.

Tryng to find a burial for Mary Ison - first wife of William (b1799) but drawing a blank so far.

I wonder if there was a bit of confusion and her name got mixed up.

William & Mary's daughter was baptised in Nether Whitacre 17 May 1829 and there appears to be a note next to it - according to the certificate of the Rev...

There is also a burial for a Mary Taylor in Nether Whitacre 30 May 1828, aged 30.

If Mary died soon after Maria was born, her name could have been confused with her husband's occupation and Maria baptised late or the note could mean it was recorded late.

The Taylor (surname) doesn't appear much in Nether Whitacre and Mary's age also appears to be transcribed incorrectly in a couple of places.

A few surmises there.

William & Mary's daughter was baptised in Nether Whitacre 17 May 1829 and there appears to be a note next to it - according to the certificate of the Rev...

There is also a burial for a Mary Taylor in Nether Whitacre 30 May 1828, aged 30.

If Mary died soon after Maria was born, her name could have been confused with her husband's occupation and Maria baptised late or the note could mean it was recorded late.

The Taylor (surname) doesn't appear much in Nether Whitacre and Mary's age also appears to be transcribed incorrectly in a couple of places.

A few surmises there.
I was puzzled by that note on the baptism.

Things in favour of William Ison baptised Shustoke 1777 being correct.

The proximity of Shustoke to known relevant locations.

Witnesses to his possible marriage can be matched with relatives - father and a cousin, or 2 cousins.

A cousin also marries in Arley and he is also a tailor.

The biggest thing against him is the age for him listed on the census and at his burial but ages can vary that early.
Sounds good to me. Thanks MWS for such thorough analysis.

I was puzzled by that note on the baptism.
I have Mary Smith born Born 4 Sep 1803 in Birmingham, Warwickshire. In 1828 she would be 25 at death in Nether Whitacre 30 May 1828. The date is near enough to her last child's baptism, Maria Ison, 17 May 1829. That a Mary in Nether died about the time of Mary Smith's last child is significant.

Checking with my baptism record;
Baptism: "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"
citing Digital film/folder number: 007565469; FHL microfilm: 502182; Record number: 1737; Packet letter: A
FamilySearch Record: NV4R-JXX (accessed 4 November 2023)
Mary Smith baptism on 3 May 1814 (born 4 9 1803), daughter of Robert Smith & Ziporah Smith, in St Philip, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, United Kingdom.

There are (unsurprisingly) dozens of baptisms for Mary Smith in Bham and the area surrounding Nether Whitacre. With her dying before the first census there is no clue as to which, if any of these, it could be.

Unless, in the course of tracing her descendants, a clue crops up then to chose one can only be a guess and I haven't come cross one so far.

So Janice, this is the brother of William B 1777 with the three wives? and gives us parents John and Sarah. Notice yet another (fairly common) spelling of Ison as Izson.
Yes - both baptism records name John and Sarah. I posted them but are you able to pick them up?

Another nearby village. As is Great Packington.
MWS and I couldn't find any other John Ison and Sarah marriages which were a better fit but nothing is certain with so little recorded info.

Sort of Janice. I am using the technique of looking at the image then printing it as a pdf then converting it back to a jpeg. But this one has star bursts on it. Funny.

Just checking that I am up to date. PDF tree attached. T
Thanks,
Garry

Attachments

• Relatives of Walter George Ison looking up.pdf
    21.6 KB · Views: 6
Just checking that I am up to date. PDF tree attached. T
Thanks,
Garry

A couple of points...

You may have missed this post in regards Mary Smith...

...and another child for Amos and Sarah...

Just noticed one other thing - William Ison b1799 d1869 was buried in Curdworth but he possibly didn't die there. If he had his death should have been registered under Aston, whereas it was reg. under Nuneaton. Something to confirm.

Perhaps worth buying the cert to confirm??

Just checked the burial record and although buried at Curdworth - under "abode" it says "Nuneaton" suggesting he was living there but chose to be buried at Curdworth.

The fact that William Ison and Mary Smith married in Sutton Coldfield made me check baptisms at Sutton. Between 1770 and 1803 I found 3 possible baptisms for Mary Smith without really doing a proper search. I am not sure we can say with any certainty which is the right one.

Perhaps worth buying the cert to confirm??

Just checked the burial record and although buried at Curdworth - under "abode" it says "Nuneaton" suggesting he was living there but chose to be buried at Curdworth.

It appears his death is one where you can by a digital image, though not sure if that's available from Australia.

I assumed it was to be buried with Sarah.

I don't know what happened to his third wife.

A few surmises there.
Mary Taylor buried Nether whitacre 30 May 1828 is possibly listed as being 80 so I think that might rule her out. Could be read as 80 or 30.
1699275935336.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Transcripts list it as 80 but I thought it was 30.

However, as I mentioned previously you have to make a number of assumptions to believe it is the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back