• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ison and Rowley Ancestors Birmingham - Kidderminster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janice, attached is the William Izon sibling record with parents. Is this correct?
I haven't found evidence for Joseph (it comes up on Ancestry but links to a wrong surname and place), similarly for Elizabeth. Otherwise looks OK.
Will try a manual search tomorrow.
Also need to see if there is a burial for Mary the first wife.

Thank you Janice, more family in Birmingham district. I will add her to my program and soon to the Wikitree. Is it St Peter's Arly Church? Does it say? This one is easy to read. No doubt about the relation with the same parents.
Garry - Arley is a village near Nuneaton in Warwickshire and is not part of Birmingham. It is about 20 miles away.
Not St Peter’s.

I think both trees are correct but will check tomorrow when I have my laptop on as they are a bit small on my phone.

I didn't even look for Mary Smith.
How sure are we about the marriage to Mary Manton. Garry has put her on the part of the tree in post 87.

Garry - Arley is a village near Nuneaton in Warwickshire and is not part of Birmingham. It is about 20 miles away.
Not St Peter’s.
Yes, got my error from MWS and am now using the amazing maps.nls.uk that Lyn put me onto. Have located New and Old Arley and St Wilfrid the church of William Izon (1799) baptism and its history. Listed in the Domesday Book. Church is still there but surrounded by houses. I will discover as I work through everything, someone who was baptised in Stretton-on-Fosse. I pressed a link and there I was in the parish book. Not going out of my way though.

I didn't even look for Mary Smith.
How sure are we about the marriage to Mary Manton. Garry has put her on the part of the tree in post 87.

The Mary Manton marriage is the most likely but impossible to be totally certain. Some people would accept that and others wouldn't.

Ann Yates was a spinster and aged 44 when she married William. No children.

It is impossible to know when and where Mary Smith was born, there are many baptisms around 1800.
Ann Yates and William Izon, no children. Thank you MWS. Mary Smith is proving as common as the William Rowley 1771. I have William Izon and Ann married 1858, Wednesbury, Staffordshire. Is that from you?

The Mary Manton marriage is the most likely but impossible to be totally certain. Some people would accept that and others wouldn't.
I haven't checked Mary Manton yet. I put it there as one of the group brought that name out I think. You have marriage details?

I suspect Mary Smith will be dead end unfortunately.

Yes, William Izon married Ann Yates in Wednesbury (St Bartholomew).

I mentioned the Mary Manton marriage and Janice has posted a scan above post #81

Thank you. Yes Mary Smith is a tough name to isolate. Thank you for the William - Ann church. I like to look at the history of the area through the church. Missed the Mary Manton marriage. Have it now, thanks.
Didn't come up on general search ( or I couldn't spot it) but I went direct to register and found this
View attachment 185699
Just came back to this Janice. Can I have the parish?

You are saying because it is Birmingham it is likely too far away from son baptism in Arley to be THE William Izon and Mary Manton. My probability brain tells me that there will be plenty of William Izon and maybe some Mary Manton but how many of them together will there be in the general area (maybe not general area in 1798) and in a plausible time date? I guess probability in genealogy is just myth.

I thought all we know for certain is that William Izon married a Mary. Not sure where the name "Manton" came from.

I can see where I got Mary Manton. Son William Izon (b 1799). Father William Izon born 1779, Warwickshire. No proof yet of date or place. Mary Manton is from MyHeritage. My Family Historian software (on my notebook) gives me real time previews of MyHeritage and FindMyPast without allowing full access as I don't subscribe to either. I was able to see MyHeritage had William Izon 1779 wife Mary Manton. FindMyPast has a marriage between William and Mary Manton 1798. I would suggest that is the one Janice has found. Also showed other children Sarah, (our William), Mary, Anna, Susannah, Ann, Elizabeth. I have baptism digital records for children Mary, Joseph, Martha (new), Susanna, Ann and William.

I have a speculative baptism for William Izon 13 Jul 1777 in Shustoke, Warwick 9 miles east of Birmingham but it does not agree with MyHeritage of 1779. This is the only William Izon I could find in the time and place area.
Warwickshire : Shustoke : St Cuthbert : Parish Register : "Parish Register" database, FreeREG (https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5e74c238f493fd55750abd30 : viewed 5 Nov 2023) baptism William Izon 18 Jul 1777

And a speculative Mary Manton baptised 25 Feb 1776, Tanworth in Arden, Warwickshire.
Warwickshire : Tanworth in Arden : St Mary Magdalene : Parish Register : "Parish Register" database, FreeREG (https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/62e81079f493fdf0e76c2e53 : viewed 5 Nov 2023) baptism Mary Manton 25 Feb 1776
(Replaced the bats with Star Bursts?)

I know speculation is nonsense.
Replaced the bats with colourful fireworks.

Family Search transcripts that quote Parish entries but I can't see the original written texts. I know transcribers can get things wrong. I have seen a couple examples myself.

I asked because Ancestry threw up a Joseph yesterday but when I went to the original it was a different surname.
Will have to write things down but as it is Sunday that will be after church.
Will look then and get back to you.

Don't change anything yet. Let me do a manual search first.
I will let you know if that throws anything up.

The Shustoke William Izon is the one I think it is but it can't be proved beyond doubt. Shustoke is less than 3 miles from both Arley and Curdworth.

Sometimes it comes down to what you choose to accept. Some want total proof and others just accept the first thing they find.

Last edited:
The Shustoke William Izon is the one I think it is but it can't be proved beyond doubt. Shustoke is less than 3 miles from both Arley and Curdworth.

Sometimes it comes down to what you choose to accept. Some want total proof and just accept the first thing they find.

Encouraging indications for Shustoke. I have had a number of lines that consistently congregate in a small area as time goes back and I believe it is a significant factor in proof especially in agricultural economies in and before the 1700s. My wife's name is Maslen and they have collected in All Cannings. In a piece of fate, a barrister in 1901 transcribed the Parish register going back to the 1500s. Google Books created an image of every page (about 600). I coverted it to a searchable PDF and am still finding new ancestors there. Although not currently. As expected there are Maslens marrying Maslens in a small village.

Things in favour of William Ison baptised Shustoke 1777 being correct.

The proximity of Shustoke to known relevant locations.

Witnesses to his possible marriage can be matched with relatives - father and a cousin, or 2 cousins.

A cousin also marries in Arley and he is also a tailor.

The biggest thing against him is the age for him listed on the census and at his burial but ages can vary that early.

I can see where I got Mary Manton. Son William Izon (b 1799). Father William Izon born 1779, Warwickshire. No proof yet of date or place. Mary Manton is from MyHeritage. My Family Historian software (on my notebook) gives me real time previews of MyHeritage and FindMyPast without allowing full access as I don't subscribe to either. I was able to see MyHeritage had William Izon 1779 wife Mary Manton. FindMyPast has a marriage between William and Mary Manton 1798. I would suggest that is the one Janice has found. Also showed other children Sarah, (our William), Mary, Anna, Susannah, Ann, Elizabeth. I have baptism digital records for children Mary, Joseph, Martha (new), Susanna, Ann and William.
Of the children you list I have records for baptisms for
Sarah - not sure about her - cannot find a baptism at Arley
William b 1799 - you already have those
Mary bapt 1801 (in post # 75) and buried 1815 (in pst #83)
Joseph - now found bapt Arley Sept 1803 - will post record
Martha - bapt 1805 (in post #71)
Anna - not sure where she comes from - cannot find a baptism at Arley
Susannah bapt 1808 (in post # 73)
Ann bapt 1810 (in post #75)
Elizabeth -now found her bapt Mar 4th Arley - will post record

So you should, with these last 2, have original records for all the names in bold. If you have source details I will see if I can find the other 2.

Attachments

• Joseph bapt 1803.jpg
    Joseph bapt 1803.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Elizabeth  1813.jpg
    Elizabeth 1813.jpg
    908 KB · Views: 0
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back