• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

There is a report that a French company Foncière des Régions is in talks to buy 14 hotels in the UK including the Grand Hotel Birmingham. Expected that the deal will be completed by the end of the first half of 2018

An internal photo of the Grand View attachment 121612

Can anyone explain the perspective of that mirror to me please? To me it is either sticking out into the room or it is recessed into the wall as there is no full frame on the left hand side. The third option is that it is not a mirror after all but is a window into the next room.
The telephone dates the picture as mid 1960s.

The company I worked for held the Christmas parties here about 4 yrs on the trot late 80s early 90's , I used to stay overnight , so hadn't got so far to stumble to bed

Birmingham Post & Mail reporters were liable to flights of fancy, even though they had proper trained reporters then

Virtual tour - First Floor

thanks for the video mbenne...must say i do like what they are doing with the grand so far....to see that lovely building reduced to a pile of rubble would have been awful

lyn

Seeing the office renovation video and the bare brickwork it did highlite a lot of missing fixtures i.e. fireplaces and arched alcoves.
ps interesting that the Horton family still own the hotel and are involved in the renovation and marketing of the new development.

i think what we must realise is not so many years ago the grand was nearly demolished so i for one am so pleased that although some fixtures may have gone we still have this building and the history that goes with it:)

lyn

This report taken from The Business Desk West Midlands
Hotel pulls plug on roof-top pool plans
businessdesk__1448380302_GrandFrontage.jpg

The Grand Hotel
Lifestyle / Property
July 27 2018

Plans for a roof-top pool at a new Birmingham city centre hotel have been dropped.
Principal Hotel Company, which is opening the hotel in The Grand in Colmore Row, has revised its plans for the Grade II listed building.
A proposed spa and gym on the sixth and top floors are also to be replaced by five new bedrooms and a further two rooms will be made bigger, while plans for a roof terrace have also been scrapped.
A revised planning application is now being reviewed by Birmingham City Council, which would see the venue now offer 185 bedrooms along with conference facilities and a restaurant.
The hotel is scheduled to open in early 2019.
The Grand was developed by the Horton Family between 1879 and 1895 and contained shops, offices and the Grand Hotel, which the family ran until 1969. The hotel was subsequently managed by a number of operators until it closed in 2002.
Since 2009 Hortons’ Estate has invested £25m in the restoration of the building resulting in the creation of ten new shops and 11,000 sq ft of offices fronting Colmore Row, together with significant re-modelling of the interi

This report taken from The Business Desk West Midlands
Hotel pulls plug on roof-top pool plans
businessdesk__1448380302_GrandFrontage.jpg

The Grand Hotel
Lifestyle / Property
July 27 2018

Plans for a roof-top pool at a new Birmingham city centre hotel have been dropped.
Principal Hotel Company, which is opening the hotel in The Grand in Colmore Row, has revised its plans for the Grade II listed building.
A proposed spa and gym on the sixth and top floors are also to be replaced by five new bedrooms and a further two rooms will be made bigger, while plans for a roof terrace have also been scrapped.
A revised planning application is now being reviewed by Birmingham City Council, which would see the venue now offer 185 bedrooms along with conference facilities and a restaurant.
The hotel is scheduled to open in early 2019.
The Grand was developed by the Horton Family between 1879 and 1895 and contained shops, offices and the Grand Hotel, which the family ran until 1969. The hotel was subsequently managed by a number of operators until it closed in 2002.
Since 2009 Hortons’ Estate has invested £25m in the restoration of the building resulting in the creation of ten new shops and 11,000 sq ft of offices fronting Colmore Row, together with significant re-modelling of the interi

I attended about four company Christmas Parties there , stayed overnight also , most enjoyable on all occasions . Forget the pool let the old girl be as she was please .

Found this family picture, probably 1930's, looking at background there appears to be a "GH" logo, Grand Hotel? perhaps. Could be a do for people who worked in the city cinemas. Looks a posh affair Anyone any ideas

img069 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Found this family picture, probably 1930's, looking at background there appears to be a "GH" logo, Grand Hotel? perhaps. Could be a do for people who worked in the city cinemas. Looks a posh do! Anyone any ideas

View attachment 138590

It does look like the ballroom of the Grand Hotel with the photograph taken from the balcony. Most of the pictures on this thread seem to be taken from the other side of the room. Viv's post 277 is not clear as it is a newspaper photo but the wall covering looks correct.

Found this family picture, probably 1930's, looking at background there appears to be a "GH" logo, Grand Hotel? perhaps. Could be a do for people who worked in the city cinemas. Looks a posh affair Anyone any ideas

View attachment 138590

It could well be the Grand , the company I worked for held many a Christmas do there , the good lady and I used to stay overnight after the bash had finished

The Midland Cycling & Athletic Club used to hold its Annual Dinner & Presentation night here in the early nineties, which were attended by many of the great & good of Birmingham.

Back