• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

The Crocket and Jones shop was previously the Anatomical Boot Company with a green shop front. At one comapny where I worked, the managing director would come to work the day before he went on holiday wearing Hush Puppies and carrying his brown leather brogues. He would ask his secretary to take them into the Anatomical Boot shop for repair so that they would be ready for him when he returned from his holiday.

image.jpg
Streetview still shows the shop before the covers went on. If the street banner is anything to go by this was how the shop looked in July 2011. It certainly would have been a handy shop for anyone staying at the Grand, especially if it did shoe repairs as per David's post. Viv.

David
A little earlier than the 1920s. The Anatomical Boot Co first appear there i n Kellys between 1908 & 1910

Facade150817.JPG The latest photograph released by Hortons` Estate Ltd., showing the newly restored facade of the Grand Hotel above the retail outlets on Colmore Row, now the scaffolding has been taken down to street level.

Possibly an error in reporting Mike. Yes, the work on the roof seems to be complete now. Viv.

grand hotel, its good to see hortons and the city farthers working to geather to get this most important building back to its grandure. it will bring a lot of trade and visitors to to the city. kind reguards sidwho

THE GRAND HOTEL
In 2015 Hortons commissioned Tom Bird, a talented Birmingham based photographer, to make a photographic record of the Grand project. Here is a link to his images beginning in the basement, rising through the public spaces up to the new build roof and finally into the courtyard and external facade. www.infinityproject.co.uk/grand-hotel

What a fantastic record Allan, and so detailed. Thank you very much for posting, I'm sure many members will find it very interesting. Viv.

Back