• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dressed to kill in the 60's

Norma,

Not only do I remember the pink pink lipstick, I'm still a pink lipstick girl and probably always will be (husband has instructions to make sure I've got it on, before going in my coffin). And every few years I come back into fashion. I'm in fashion at the moment, till it goes out again!
I was more eyeliner than eye shadow. And never got the hang of false eyelashes. My best friend's eye makeup was a work of art, very Cleopatra. But we all mostly ended up looking like Dusty or Liz Taylor (eye make up wise).
What about the hair pieces? I knew some girls that would wear three at a time. Looked amazing though.

Ann

This thread has been so much fun. I was a false eylash girl and makeup I loved it! Working in the hairdressing buisness I always had a hairpieces. The problem was I didn't need them as I had so much hair! What about the big plastic rings, cube earings and big square watches. I will have to dig out some more pic's! Phil you look great in your suit!

This thread has been so much fun. I was a false eylash girl and makeup I loved it! Working in the hairdressing buisness I always had a hairpieces. The problem was I didn't need them as I had so much hair! What about the big plastic rings, cube earings and big square watches. I will have to dig out some more pic's! Phil you look great in your suit!

Wendy - do you remember Paul's Hairdressing Salon on Colmore Row in the 60's?

Keith

I do remeber it vaguely but never went in. I worked in Sutton and visited shops in that area mainly.

Keith,

You have me swooning here at the very thought of you outdoing John Travolta!. He's a favourite of mine and grew up not too far from where I lived. He's still a nice looking man.

Norma

Norma - unfortunately it's all in my mind, I can only talk-the-walk. Whereas Mr Travolta is the master and can really Walk-the-Walk................

Norma,

I take it the surgery went o.k., and all is well now.

I agree Wendy this is a fun thread. After I had my hair cropped, I often used hairpieces, but they may have looked as if something had inadvertantly landed on my head.

Ann

I was enjoying the mascara, eye-lask, pink lipstick, hotpants chat between you lovely 60's chicks. Let's get back on track...........

Geriatric keith

You coming 'out the closet Keith'!

That is one of the main things I miss about the 60's, the dressing up. Back then and through to the 70's the fellas and the gals took so much pride in how they looked when they went 'out for an evening'. The guys always wore really smart suits (from Rackhams or elsewhere) and we girls bought new outfits every week. When you looked around a pub or club back then, everybody looked so smart or glam (well almost everyone, there was the odd failure). It can be nice now to go out 'casual', but I preferred it when it was the norm to dress up. Same with going to the theatre, I would never have gone casual. Nowadays, sometimes, you can look out of place if you have 'made too much of an effort'. Getting nostalgic again.

Ann

You coming 'out the closet Keith'!

That is one of the main things I miss about the 60's, the dressing up. Back then and through to the 70's the fellas and the gals took so much pride in how they looked when they went 'out for an evening'. The guys always wore really smart suits (from Rackhams or elsewhere) and we girls bought new outfits every week. When you looked around a pub or club back then, everybody looked so smart or glam (well almost everyone, there was the odd failure). It can be nice now to go out 'casual', but I preferred it when it was the norm to dress up. Same with going to the theatre, I would never have gone casual. Nowadays, sometimes, you can look out of place if you have 'made too much of an effort'. Getting nostalgic again.

Ann

Ann - my sentiments exactly. My parents (as poor as they were) insisted on us all dressing in our Sunday best every week.

Keith

ann. im forever getting nostalgic and lets face it without nostalgia this wonderful site would not exist.

Wales - I agree totally. My signature relates to a Daily Mirror 'Thought of the Day' from the 70's that stuck in my mind, "Remembrance is the key to existance".

While someone remembers 'good' - the future holds 'good'. And good exists because our memories remind us of how it can be..................

The wine must be working - I am becoming philisophical?

Keith

i like that thought of the day keith. you hold on to it. keep swigging the wine. think i will crack open a bottle and join you. ha ha

i like that thought of the day keith. you hold on to it. keep swigging the wine. think i will crack open a bottle and join you. ha ha

Let's all raise our glasses to 'Nostelia - long may it live' and then to 'Lost friends'.

hic. hic. keith

Nas thats an interesting post which I have thought a lot about of late. I see in Victorian times opium was prelavant also but kept quiet relativly. Today everthing is put in papers and blown out of all proportion. We get focussed on what is "in fashion" by newspapers. I remember my father in law who grew up in Duddeston telling us about the "peak a blinders" as they were called, nasty gangs who had razor blades hidden in the peaks of their caps. They would use as weapons. I am not trying to depress but make us realise we have always lived with some sort of evil. But we rise above and good will prevail! off me soap box now.

Just to bring us back on thread this is the only one I could find of my false eyelashes. Paington The Blue Angel July 1972

If Wales and myself are drinking in Birmingham, and Norma is refreshing her taste buds in the U S of A?

Where else is supping the grapes of god going on? Own up - lets raise a universal glass to Brummies where 'ere they be?

Nas thats an interesting post which I have thought a lot about of late. I see in Victorian times opium was prelavant also but kept quiet relativly. Today everthing is put in papers and blown out of all proportion. We get focussed on what is "in fashion" by newspapers. I remember my father in law who grew up in Duddeston telling us about the "peak a blinders" as they were called, nasty gangs who had razor blades hidden in the peaks of their caps. They would use as weapons. I am not trying to depress but make us realise we have always lived with some sort of evil. But we rise above and good will prevail! off me soap box now.

Just to bring us back on thread this is the only one I could find of my false eyelashes. Paington The Blue Angel July 1972

Outstanding eyelashes Wendy

Fabulous photo Wendy.

I couldn't find a picture of me in the late 60's but here is one of me at about 8 which would have been 1960.

Norma

Norma - what a lovely girl you was. Are those three little medals on your dress?

Keith

As an adolescent young lad with testosterone pumping through my veins I lovingly remember the girls in their Mary Quant style dresses. What a lovely era for dress design.

Wendy,

You look gorgeous and your fella so smart and handsome. You do!

Ann

Thanks Ann, he's still handsome to me but don't tell him! it seems so long ago now. Happy times!

Great photos NAS and Wendy. Great time to have lived through. I will have to look some photos out especially of my brother and his bride who was a total
match for Twiggy and got married in Mary Quant clothes in Brum in l969.

lovely pics girls. you know this thread has been great. now lets be honest. is there not a little piece of us that would love to dress up and relive our youth just for one night and listen to all the sounds of our day. i have just spent the last 3 hours watching my daughter and 2 of her mates (all 18) get ready to go out. they have dressed up in the 70s/80s fashion and are talking about doing a 60s one night. which just goes to prove that our style of dress and music never dies. i think it would be great if all of us who were up for it and travel was possable to get together and do a little twisting and rock n roll. it may be something to think about. (here i go again with the old nostalgia) wouldnt have it any other way. wales.

Wendy you look a wonderful couple - Why have mustaches gone out of fashion? In the 70's I had one of those Jason King style mustaches it matched my feathered hair style then.

ha keith. jason king. department S. i had a crush on him and richard bradford man in a suitcase.

Do you think we should start a seperate thread. 'Who's up for organising a 60's night'?

Ann

You are all so kind but remember it was of the time. We loved to dress up and we did in those days. Lads don't often wear suits now! Especially wearing a tie using a Windsor half Windsor knot! now that should get you thinking!

i raise my hand to help organise. as long as the lads come. (keith can bring his bottle of wine) lol

Not a very good photo. but very pop groupish taken around the same time as the other photo I posted.

Phil

007.jpg

Back