• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dressed to kill in the 60's

Mayfield

Burbury Brummie
It was a Friday July afternoon sometime in the late 60's (?), when I picked-up my two weeks holiday pay from work only to find that I had a large tax rebate (£16 in all). That meant £3 for the old dear and £12 for me............ I was rich.

The money was burning a hole in my pocket when I got off the 33 bus in town so I went shopping to buy some new 'gear'.

That night I entered the living room of our terraced house in my new outfit - hair parted in the middle like Barry Ryan, flowered shirt with matching kipper tie, broad black and white striped hipsters with thick white buckled belt, red jacket with gold beading (Sargent Pepperish), small gold bell dangling from my neck and John Lennon type sunglasses perched on the end of my nose.

My father looked at me over his evening newspaper (Despatch I think) in amazement and shouted to my mom, "Hey V (Vera), look at the bloody state of our Keith"? Then followed it up quickly by saying "If you think you'r going to the pub with me, looking like that, you've got another thing coming'!!!

My mom's however smiled, eyes filled with pride and said, 'Stuff 'im son, yoo can sit with me, you look bloody luvly'.

Money well spent I thought......................

Most definately Nelson House Phil.

My mom Norma was 5 ft and half an inch of affection (or dynamite if she didn't like you)

A lovely snapshot of your family life in the 60's. I remember my dad saying regular in the 60's (having two mini skirted daughters), 'Im sick of seein' xxxxxx knickers!'

Ann

P.S. Keith,

Noticed your address. How odd that the 'Miss Lily Heath' thread is looking for someone at 3 Defford Rd. Lozells. If it were a century ago, you could have just knocked on the door!

Ann

Most definately Nelson House Phil.

My mom Norma was 5 ft and half an inch of affection (or dynamite if she didn't like you)

First port of call every payday for me, wasn't it a load of rubbish? One wash and it fell apart. It didn't stop us buying it though did it, my other ports of call were Chetwyns Hill St and M & J's down Ladypool Rd.

Phil

So where did the other £1 go Keith?

Ann, I never tire of girls in mini skirts showing their knickers (says he hopefully!)

No AnnB didn't fancy her, but I remember her with Michael Caine in the Film Undressed to Kill

Was she the female cop who never wore a bra [well I don't think so]. Pete used to buy his clothes from zissmans. Jean.

Going back to Norma's suggestion re. a 60's themed night. Wouldn't that be a good party idea for the forum? My brother went to one and borrowed my old 60's wigs. The photos look great!
You can nip over, can't you Norma?

Ann

Alf, I see you've been doing your research on Angie! She and Burt made a good looking couple didn't they?

We went on a sixties long week end a few years to a holiday camp. It was fabulous. Edwin Starr was brilliant had us all going. That was just before he died. Jean.

I used to see Edwin Starr in the local Co Op he lived at Pooley Hall Polesworth. Sad he died to early!

Oh I can beat this...around 1968 I bought a Polo neck sweater which was dark blue with a white neck..
I got home, put it on and found out I looked just like an American bald Eagle...sob

hi all. i will come to any 60s theme party folks. i could have done with being born bout 5 years earlier to experience the full extent of that era. i was a bit to young to go off travelling and become a hippy. wore the clothes though. o well i surpose i could now become an old age traveller ha ha wales.

Oh I can beat this...around 1968 I bought a Polo neck sweater which was dark blue with a white neck..
I got home, put it on and found out I looked just like an American bald Eagle...sob

LOL....................... I enjoyed that

This is Michael's mate Colin a true dedicated follower of fashion. Photo was about 1963.

Gosh Wendy he's got that baby faced Paul McCartney look.

Ann B my dad called our Mini skirts 'Pxxxy Pelmets' if younunderstand what I mean...

Pom

Last edited:
Back