• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BSA, Triumph and Ariel motorbikes & trikes

its true, you just never know who you are talking to on a forum, do you?

Last edited:
I think this is me on a Bantam too many years ago. (To clear up doubt, I know it is ME, I think it is a Bantam. Back end looks right, but tank logo is a bit fuzzy.). I did actually get to steer it, but the foot controls were a bit out of reach, so my pillion passenger worked those. This was on a private estate, so we could play without fear of Plod. A good few years later before I rode a bike on my own. (James Cadet, via a Lambretta LD). Had to go to 4 wheels then because someone didn't like getting her legs wet in the rain.
Andrew.bantam.jpeg

Last edited:
Found this on Pinterest, worth a read.
Unfortunately, this is very typical of the 60's & 70's on both sides of the pond! Understanding the TRUE cost of manufacturing. If you add to that design and service issues, it's a formula for failure. Working with the Japanese auto/bike industry in the 70's we were amazed at how good they were at understanding costs and design which have been copied by others particularly the South Koreans.

A 1954 BSA Winged Wheel​

IMG_6976.jpg

1954_winged_wheel_usa.jpg

Last edited:
BSA made a range of three wheelers but I’ve never seen a BSA auto truck or any autotruck with a BSA engine in it but of course I may well be wrong.

1673996167043.jpeg

Great picture, any chance of the accompanying text and description that shows it to be a BSA made frame and a BSA engine

Amazing, I stand corrected, I never knew they made those, unless of course it’s a home build with a BSA motor fitted? It does seem to imply that only the engine is BSA

Manufacturer Ariel Works (JS) Ltd, Grange Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham 29.

“Early-type Ariel Square Fours emploved a neat overhead-camshaft engine originally of 500 cc but later of 600 cc. Flared and valanced front mudguard was continued into the 1950s.”

Classic British motorcycles of over 500cc from the National Motorcycle Museum,Currie, Bob (1988)

EEDAC741-5A6E-4362-A205-419E2B977DD9.jpeg

I remember the Ariel, leader, and arrow, lines of them parked by the Bridge on the Bristol Road Selly oak, I actually drove a square four when quite young, and will never forget the experience, it was a heavy, lumbering, great machine, and took all my strength to hold it up when stopping at lights or junctions,, huge tank I seem to remember!!

I remember the Ariel, leader, and arrow, lines of them parked by the Bridge on the Bristol Road Selly oak, I actually drove a square four when quite young, and will never forget the experience, it was a heavy, lumbering, great machine, and took all my strength to hold it up when stopping at lights or junctions,, huge tank I seem to remember!!
The Square Four was BIG bike!

I trained fitting side cars at Midland Sidecars, wheeler st, lozelles, Birmingham in the 60's when I was at school. It was the only sidecar fitting place in the Midlands, I came across Dormobiles, watsonian, palmers, monza's and ariel square 4, panthers, nortons, Triumph, BSA and assortment of scooters. Now I look back it was an exciting time and change of an ara.

I trained fitting side cars at Midland Sidecars, wheeler st, lozelles, Birmingham in the 60's when I was at school. It was the only sidecar fitting place in the Midlands, I came across Dormobiles, watsonian, palmers, monza's and ariel square 4, panthers, nortons, Triumph, BSA and assortment of scooters. Now I look back it was an exciting time and change of an ara.
Here is a photo posted earlier to the forum showing Midland Sidecars in Wheeler Street.

2_wheeler_st_date_1966img613.jpg

Back