• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BSA, Triumph and Ariel motorbikes & trikes

The Trident was a lovely looking machine. Do you remeber Slippery Sam Pete?
no the name dont ring a bell. there was a lot of bikers that hung out at the mountford pub. sat nights we went for a ride to the caves at stourport for the weekend.;) there was allsorts of machines i dont remember there being any Japanese bikes then.

Last edited by a moderator:
i put a few of these together 1952 BSA 123cc Bantam D1 GPO bike

used for Telegram delivery​

pic Bonhams

no the name dont ring a bell. there was a lot of bikers that hung out at the mountford pub. sat nights we went for a ride to the caves at stourport for the weekend.;) there was allsorts of machines i dont remember there being any Japanese bikes then.
Pete, Slippery Sam was a Trident that set the lap speed record on the Isle of Man TT. I think John Coper was the rider and the record stood for quite a few years. They called it Slippery Sam because it had sprung a leak and was covered in oil at the end of the race.

I saw it at the Pretty Pigs pub in Avlercote, Tamworth. They used to hold a bike club meeting there, where the owner bought it along to show people.

Was it the Dog in Water Orton where the bikers used to go too?

Pete, Slippery Sam was a Trident that set the lap speed record on the Isle of Man TT. I think John Coper was the rider and the record stood for quite a few years. They called it Slippery Sam because it had sprung a leak and was covered in oil at the end of the race.

I saw it at the Pretty Pigs pub in Avlercote, Tamworth. They used to hold a bike club meeting there, where the owner bought it along to show people.

:grinning::grinning: i thought you meant it was a bloke from kingshurst,...yes the dog pub.and a lot at bassets pole too we met at
800px-Slippery_Sam_Triumph_Trident_cropped.JPG

Slippery Sam, a roadster prepared for production-class road racing to controlled specifications using selected adaptations only, available from the factory as part-numbered inventory, seen exhibited at a UK Classic Car and Bike Show in 2009 wearing a Dunlop TT100 rear tyre

i had one of these and i dropped i in Kingshurst one evening in the wet. the bedford ambo come bell ringingand said i was not breathing and had popped me clogs they put me on a stretcher and took me to ebh (so i was told, when at hospital they saw i was in a coma I had a fractured skull and broken coccyx. so they transferred me to smethwick nuro i went for 6 months. when i finally come home i went to collect me bike from Greys on the cov rd. and still am a biker now.:grinning:
Triumph-Trident-T150-Right-Side-1.jpg

:grinning:

1969 Triumph Trident​

Yo were very lucky! The biggest thing with me was my pride and tight hand! Learned to hate gravel on the roads. I think what saved me was going backwards through a hedgerow into a ploughed field.

good machines The Bantam was based on the DKW RT 125, a design that was received as war reparations, with the Bantam as a mirror image so the gearchange was on the right side as with other British motorcycles of the period. The same design went into production in at least two, and perhaps four, other countries based on the dkw 125

The DKW RT 125 of 1952

800px-1952_DKW_RT_125_W_pic2.JPG

Mort, I remember the Dog in Water Orion also a place in Tamworth we used to go on Saturday night. Name escapes me! Great beer in both place I do recall!

The BSA board room, with guns on show in wall mounted cupboards. Gas mantle lights very ornate fixtures.
Source historicengland.org.uk

Attachments

• 1163263F-2106-43B2-8E0B-D82D83F62F91.jpeg
    1163263F-2106-43B2-8E0B-D82D83F62F91.jpeg
    680 KB · Views: 16
good machines The Bantam was based on the DKW RT 125, a design that was received as war reparations, with the Bantam as a mirror image so the gearchange was on the right side as with other British motorcycles of the period. The same design went into production in at least two, and perhaps four, other countries based on the dkw 125

The DKW RT 125 of 1952

800px-1952_DKW_RT_125_W_pic2.JPG
I had a Bantam for a short while, not sure which 'D' model. Pale green, and I got it as a complete box of bits. I put it together, which was interesting, and triggered memories of my 2 wheel days, but didn't fancy riding it, so as soon as it moved under its own power, I put it up for sale. Chap came round and bought it on sight, and subsequently exported it to New Zealand.

Andrew.

Worldwide popularity​

In 1967 and 1968, the company was awarded the Queen's Award to Industry for the export of BSA and Triumph motorcycles. By 1969 they accounted for 80% of the British motorcycle industry's exports. Many organisations, like the AA, used BSA motorcycles for their patrol machines, and police forces all over the world preferred the BSA. The new three-cylinder machines were launched, with a reputation for performance and reliability.

i rememer having a ride on one of these machines :cool:

BSA M21 AA Patrol motorcycle combination​

bsa%20aa%2004.jpg

Found this on Pinterest, worth a read.
Covroad, are there other pages to this article? I have read the first one and as a retired factory automation engineer and cost improvement advocate can almost see the rest of the story! Let me know where i might find the rest of the article if possible!

Covroad, are there other pages to this article? I have read the first one and as a retired factory automation engineer and cost improvement advocate can almost see the rest of the story! Let me know where i might find the rest of the article if possible!
Richard
Happy New Year to you and yours.
I will do some more research and track the article in its entirety, give me a couple of days.

James Bond Thunderball​

UK motorcycle champion Bill Ivy was riding the BSA Lightning For the part, Ivy wore a blond wig to look as if it was ridden by Bond girl Fiona Volpe, played by Italian actress Luciana Paluzzi.

BSA employees at work in the ‘Browning Shop’ , and machine shop number 1 1917, do not know if those are bike or rifle parts being made. The machine shop lathes are all belt driven
Source historicengland.org.uk

Attachments

• C12A95AB-8BBB-4246-B00B-A476FF285D98.jpeg
    C12A95AB-8BBB-4246-B00B-A476FF285D98.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 7BEBF6DE-C45C-4374-B069-ED675E951982.jpeg
    7BEBF6DE-C45C-4374-B069-ED675E951982.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 7
Thanks, I was being a clever dick, I know the answer, just wondering if anyone could put the connection together.

clue below

Last edited:
Thanks, I was being a clever dick, I know the answer, just wondering if anyone could put the connection together.
Actually is was an interesting read and the videos of certain applications was great.

FYI there are some pretty smart people on the Forum and in particular with BSA et Al :cool:

Back