• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Central Library 1974 - 2015

When you are on the bus it's ok. Is the occasional evening rush hour from Digbeth / Camp Hill where there's traffic towards Camp Hill Circus (traffic trying to get onto Highgate or Bordesley Middleway's and also the Stratford Road). You do sometimes get stuck on the Stratford Road in Sparkbrook / Sparkhill, especially when cars are parked near the Asian supermarkets / shops down there.

Ha ha, I remember in the late 1950s when it took 45 minutes or more to get from Howard Road, Kings Heath to Paradise Street on the bus. "When the Ringway is finished it will all be different", they said, but increases in traffic over the years overtook their forecasts, and as we've said, the continual building & roadworks ever since and increases in traffic have made this an insoluble problem.

Maurice

The current Paradise roadworks are almost done. New lanes opened. Demolition for the subway, so lanes closed off. The Broad Street buses have now returned to using half of Paradise Circus Queensway before going onto Great Charles Street Queensway. (most of last year they were diverted via the Jewellery Quarter).

From the 22, 23, 24 or the 29 you can now see the big whole where the ex Central Library used to be. Would be the same view from the Hagley Road bus routes when at Paradise Circus Queensway.

This was the view on Boxing Day

If you mean the no 50 bus route, it stops outside of Selfridges at the Bullring on Moor Street. The 35 stops before it.

Some routes they have cut back or altered, or change the frequency. Such as one bus every 20 or 30 minutes (on some routes).

Sunday timetable again today (Bank Holiday).

If it wasn't for the Council House clock, that area would be almost unrecognisable to an ex-pat like me! And I still think most of the modern buildings look not so much ugly as plain boring. I think I will go and lie down! :) :) :)

Maurice

That includes the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery, including the extension building that you can access over the footbridge. The Great Charles Street Queensway entrance to the museum is currently closed to visitors while the Paradise roadworks are ongoing.

Hi Maurice,
like you i said the same to my wife when we had to get into the city of brum we came by train
And i am most certainly glad i did not come by car ; horrondios bad dezigning of the city roads
to me the city is a complete mess it certainly a busy hub of a place to get around on foot yet alone by car , no thank you
i will certainly not back to live in birmingham
To me it certainly looks like the population of brum as out grown its capcity of space
the building are a mess it looks like what you see a document of the American bronks films
and like carboard city all those home less people siting or lying down in door ways begging
and i read in the news that birmingham council said do not feed the homeless
but years before they say do not give them money its for druggs
And regarding the tram servicesaround the city centre its roads are to narrow every think is closing in on people
people are now shoulde to sholder banging into each other on the pavements
May be the broad street on out ward bounds is okay wider roads but around that new stret and high street its to much
Any way iagrre with your comments you made about it best wishes Alan,,,Astonian;;;;;;

Hi Alan,

I don't think that Brum is alone in this - many cities have gone down a similar route, owe a shedload in debts, and are now unable to provide the essential services that the council taxpayers are being charged for. Several American cities are technically bankrupt too and are in no better shape. And not only in the UK. Our hospitals here in Crete are very much dependant on charitable donations, though with a much smaller population to cater for, the level of service is very much better. We could go on about this forever & a day, but just before I wish you goodnight, may I just compliment Ell Brown on the qualities of his photographs. Well done, Ell, and goodnight Alan and whoever is still online at this late hour.

Maurice

Another school of thought is that the constant changing scene of Birmingham city centre is one if its unique points. Do young people like the way it's constantly changing/modernising I wonder? I never took much notice if it when I was a youngster. In fact I seem to remember thinking the modernisation of the place was a good thing.But I do remember the constant rubble and building works of the 1960s. It's only now that I regret all that lost history and heritage. Thankfully, as Maurice says, there're at least some old buildings to get bearings from. Viv.

Thanks Sospiri.

Alan / Astonian: you can get the buses around if you don't want to walk around the areas.

At least College Subway will never exist ever again!

Here it is back in March 2015.

It was quite horrible down there.

It has now been replaced by road level pelican crossings.

I don't like subways at the best of times, but ones with with kinks in the middle definitely posed a threat to personal security.

Maurice

The council has mostly got rid of them in the city centre.

I think only the Livery Subway is left (under Great Charles Street Queensway near Birmingham Snow Hill Station).

Others outside the city centre might still be there.

There was one in Bearwood (Smethwick, Sandwell just outside of Birmingham), but it was filled in and replaced by a pelican crossing instead.

Not sure if you'd call it a subway but there's the paths by the road that goes under the ringway by the mailbox. I'm not sure about the subways by St Chad's - they were only ever partial and the same goes for the ones going to the island by Horse Fair.

Hi ELL
Many thanks for the pictures and the information to be quite honest ELL I almost got lost coming from the station of new street
some months back to make my way to the victoria Law courts
I did like what they done to the station it was amazing but coming down the ramp with those trams i thought it was abit dodgy
and the screeching of the brakes as they come down that tight bend at the back of the station
I must admitt i likd the colour of the trams i seen on the front of the destination they travel to wolverhampton
have thry actualy got that far yet , i did say to the wife i fancy doing that ride
do they go through hockley brook and soho road handsworth to arrive at wolverhampton
are they expensive
i took a walk up new street but it seems that alot of them was boarded up and the street to walk up was pushing each other out of
each others way ,i felt enclosed by the building
we eventualy got to the council house and fountain
i was looking to find the way to the old libary but it was half knocked down and i could not see any way of getting around that
area to broad street so we decided to get the train back to worcestershire
so to be honest my last account on my thread i really have not seen much of brum city to state what i said
but i have travelled around the outer city areas which i found left neglected
and the roads in the city are massively wide best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,,

No problem Alan (Astonian).

There are temporary signs pointing in the direction of Fletchers Walk (past the Town Hall).

Similar to these ones from 2015.

But they may have changed the signs since then.

I think you must have gone up to Grand Central if you used the ramp near the entrances to Premier Inn and McDonald's. Is no need to go that way if you want to go to the Library of Birmingham.

There are now exits on the Southside of the station. Just leave via those exits and walk up Hill Street towards Victoria Square. Then head towards Fletchers Walk. Ignore the steps up to the Copthorne Hotel and continue to the Alpha Tower, and follow the ramp up past the HSBC UK construction site and former municipal bank site and cross at the lights into Centenary Square.

Alan Clawley has passed away!

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/ne...assionate-birmingham-central-library-14607182

Tributes have been paid to a passionate champion of Birmingham’s post-war architecture and Green Party activist who has died following a battle with cancer.

Alan Clawley, who was 74, is perhaps best known for his leading role in the campaign to stop the demolition of Birmingham’s Central Library, which was ultimately lost in 2015.

He became an authority on the life and work of Birmingham architect John Madin , who also designed the former Birmingham Post & Mail offices in Colmore Circus, BBC Pebble Mill, and the Chamber of Commerce in Harborne Road, and wrote a biography which was published in 2011.

More recently he spoke out against the conversion of another Brutalist landmark, the Ringway Centre on Smallbrook Queensway . Mr Clawley also published other books, including Batsford’s Birmingham Then And Now , and more recently, Library Story: A History of Birmingham Central Library.

Love it or hate it, the Central Reference Library was an important place for research. The removal of this building remains a contentious issue. Whilst the new Library has the appearance of a library fit for the 21st Century, the sources of research material has been reduced through space limitations. Access to collections can be restricted and the hours of opening for the reference sections are also less than what was enjoyed in the previous library.

Having collections indexed on line would be a help in this modern age, but many collections remain indexed on paper only at present.

As the replacement buildings near completion on the former Central Reference Library site, it is worth reflecting on the former library building as it neared completion in 1973!Bhm003.jpg

I liked it. It was a building designed around function and learning, the architect spared no expense to make this building work for the people who used it. Had this building been ion London, it would still be standing head and shoulders over its contemporary’s.

It’s a shame that it did not get the marble covering it was originally designed to have, it would have looked splendid. I appreciate that Prince Charles was quite vocal about this building, calling it more like place to burn books. Weasel words when you look at some of the rubbish designs he has done in his own model village. I have no time what so ever for people who burst other people balloons to make their own look bigger.

It’s a shame that the council did not keep both the old and this one. The old building was always going to be a hard act to follow.

I liked it as well. I spent a lot of time in it as a student as well as more recently in the local history section. I found it had a nice atmosphere - whereas I find the new library less welcoming.

Why this building was demolished remains a mystery to me unless there were cost implications. It would be of interest to see the relevant council minutes that affected this decision

Heartland,

My understanding at the time was that the roof leaked and that the estimated cost of repair was £30,000. How that was equated with 89 million of borrowed money plus interest charges I would love to know! At least one of the people involved in the decision has since retired. :)

Maurice

hi maurice what i dont and never will understand is how they could justify demolishing this wonderful building to build the 1974 library in its place which only had a life span of 40 years...maybe its just me..maybe i dont have the eye for fine architecture but i know which building i would rather gaze up at..however i will say this in the 74 librarys defence...leaking roof with drip buckets scattered..lifts and excalators rarely working damp and smelly yes but at least it was open all hours every day of the week with ample staff to help and plenty of historical content to view instead of having to wait weeks in some cases for staff to retrieve what we want to look at..back then the staff would go and get what you wanted on the spot..no appointments needed back then...this new libary is just not fit for purpose..and all in the name of vanity..maurice you were a bit out on how much the new library cost (could have been a typo)..it was £189 million touching £200 million in the end...be interesting to take a vote on the 2 buildings below as to which one we would rather look at

josiah mason college.jpeglibray.jpg

Last edited:
One thing is certain and that is the lovely building in post 6, by Lyn, would not have suffered from concrete cancer!
With many of the extravagances by governments or local authority officials rarely, if ever, do those responsible be brought to account for their actions. And if they do it is frequently a whitewash. I do not know the reason why the library was replaced by that concrete bunker, but no one who was involved in its planning seemed to be aware of how the future was heading in particular on the cusp of information technology. The problem with very many developments is that they are guided by experts who frequently suffer from the lack of being able to see the wider picture.

The 2013 Library of Birmingham has maintenance problems as well! The glass lift hasn't been working for years (I think it only worked for a year before it broke down). Revolving doors on the ground floor and 3rd floor always had issues and they have replaced them with automatic doors! Escalators sometimes broken and you have to climb up / down them (they are currently all working).

The 1974 library was a barrier to extending the City Centre towards Broad Street (the area now also known as Westside).

The concrete by the 2000s / early 2010s was looking like an eyesore.

In later years there was some street art on the side.

Also flowers to improve the appearance.

In 2013 you could see the 1974-2013 library from the Library of Birmingham!

Approx view now (this was July 2018).

alsan here is a pic of the original library that was demolished to make way for the concrete bunker.. as you can see another fine building and in this photo you can just see the corner of the concrete bunker library on the right..actually when i first saw it i honestly thought it was a multi story car park:rolleyes:

original library.jpg

Lyn,

In response to your post #6, yes, a typo! I spent many a happy hour in the old library, and at least I knew where everything was in the leaky concrete monstrosity. I'm never likely to try the new Library of Birmingham as my days of long distance travelling are now over. But I agree with Ell that lifts and escalators rarely work correctly for very long in any new building. In these days of advanced technology, I simply don't know why. Do the manufacturers make more on maintenence than on the original installation? It certainly seems that way! :)

Maurice

There's always doors that are sealed off for maintenance or repair. Last time the disabled door with button to the Discovery Terrace was closed, but the new automatic doors open.

Back