• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Central Library 1974 - 2015

From the steps of Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery - you can now see through to the Library of Birmingham!

Discovery Terrace views at the Library of Birmingham.

They were working away on a Saturday

Some of my split in two photos.

Discovery Terrace - LoB

Secret Garden - LoB

Centenary Way

From the steps of BM & AG

One week on, even more has been revealed!

Chamberlain Square view of the Library of Birmingham

BM & AG from Centenary Square

Discovery Terrace view

The Chamberlain Memorial can even be seen from this side now!

Can you now walk though the middle section and down the library steps since its been cut through the library? Or is it an illusion? Viv.

No Viv. Still either via the Fletchers Walk pedestrian diversion, or via the pedestrian diversion from Lionel Street towards Cambridge Street. I think the subway has closed.

Here's one more view seen from the Hall of Memory.

The modern 125 Colmore Row behind the council house and museum.

The view from Paradise Street (if you don't want to walk via Fletchers Walk you have to go under Suffolk Street Queensway near The Mailbox)

I'm sad to see this library go, it had a lot more character then the glasshouses that are going up in it's place. The area should be left has an open public place.

I do like the new library design wise, but not what they have relegated it to, as a matter of interest I went in the cafe yesterday,(opens at 8 am) cheese and tomato toastie and a coffee £6, but it was nice.

thanks for the pics john...i am glad to see the back of the old library... those of us who were regular users will know what a horrible smelly damp building it was...

as for the hiddious thing outside the new library i have no idea what it is meant to represent but instead of spending good money on things like that maybe they should spend it on getting the library running fit for purpose

no way would i eat the cafe again...far too expensive and a rip off..£2.50 for one( nothing special) blueberry muffin is way over the top when i can get a box of 4 from asda for a quid..

feb 24th i sent an email to them requesting some info..got a reply back saying they will get back to me within a few weeks...4 months later i am still waiting to hear from them...what a joke

lyn

Last edited:
John

Perhaps it's meant to signify the death of local library's in Birmingham ?

The image might just represent somebody turning into a skeleton while waiting for their books to be delivered or their requests answered...... (me being cynical) :D

Simon

Back