• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Bedstead Factories

Magnificent bed.

This tells the history of Peyton family and talks about the Bordesley works who made beds in Bordesley Green. If there was a patent was there any names on the Patent? My great grandfather was born in 1861 same year as that bed, and his father was a bed designer who worked with the Bordesley works and was rewarded with an expensive granite tombstone in recognition of his innovation in the industry., when he died in 1895, he was William Pitt.
Bob, in you post above #27, reading the link; the Peyton family are mentioned ( toward the bottom right hand column).

Hello, I am writing to you from the municipal museum of La Vila Joiosa (Vilamuseu) in Alicante, Spain. We have a house museum set in the 19th century and we are doing research on a brass canopy bed that was probably made in Birmingham. We have the patent mark in the shape of a diamond which tells us that it was patented on 28 February 1861. We have searched the British Library and the British Archive documents and have been unable to find any like it. Nor do we know the manufacturer or how it arrived in Spain. We have found similar beds but none like this one.

Please, if anyone has any information, it would be of great help. Thanks in advance.
Magnificent workmanship. My wife advises that Williams Sonoma and upscale US retailer features a bed similar although not and grand as the one shown in post #28.

Good morning, thank you very much for the information about Peyton and William Sonoma, we are looking into it. As for Bob's question about whether there was a name on the patent, we have not been able to find any other name or mark or sign, do you know if beds of this type and chronology used to have any other markings besides the patent?
Thank you so much!

Good morning, thank you very much for the information about Peyton and William Sonoma, we are looking into it. As for Bob's question about whether there was a name on the patent, we have not been able to find any other name or mark or sign, do you know if beds of this type and chronology used to have any other markings besides the patent?
Thank you so much!
Sorry Irena, I have no idea. Best of luck with the research.

About Slumberland...

Slumberland was formed in 1919 under the name of Crown Bedding by John Seccombe, a recently demobbed airman using his war gratuity. Originally established in Sherlock Street, Birmingham along the street from his father's drapery store. The first Slumberland products to be produced were feather pillows, straw palliasses and flock mattresses.
At that time their bed bases were formed by stretching a woven wire mesh over a metal frame - when the wire sagged, the tension could be restored by winding it up with a handle!

The Slumberland logo was introduced in the early 1930’s on a range of beds and became so popular that the name remained as a brand and grew into one of the largest bed and mattress brands in the world. In 1940 Crown Bedding is reported to have been producing tank parts and was heavily into Government contracts, which not only involved the making of beds for the military, but also parachutes, emergency rubber water tanks, military webbing, repairing of R.A.F aircraft gantries, and many other types of war equipment.

In 1947 a British Industries Fair Advert shows the company as Manufacturers of "Slumberland" Registered Spring Interior Mattresses. "Slumberland" Registered Spring Interior Divans. "Slumberland" Feather Pillows and Bolsters. "Intalok" Hospital Spring Interior Mattresses. "Intalok" Upholstery Spring Units. "Restola" Registered Upholstery.

In 1970 Duport took over Slumberland Ltd and its associated companies giving the combined group 30% of the UK beds market (including Vono's share). The manufacturing base eventually moved to Cambridgeshire following a buy-out in 2001 by Hilding Anders– the largest bed group in Europe, which also acquired three other bed and furniture firms, including Myers. In 2013 the group was taken over by Steinhoff.

Can anyone throw any light on the slumerland founder - he is allegedly John Seccombe but as far as I know he was always known to employees at the Redfern Road Works, Tyseley as "Mr Jack". By coincidence I came across the below extract from a web search describing the evacuation of a young boy, the son of a Slumberland employee in WWII.

What was Mr Jacks RAF history and who was his RAF pal Mr Beasley?

"In this hall stood a large grandfather clock but more important a wooden aeroplane propeller, which to me was awe inspiring. The propeller, and sadly as it turned out, was from the aeroplane in which the pilot son of Mr and Mrs Beasley had been killed, in the Great War. Mr and Mrs Beasley was a delightful old couple who made us immediately welcome, and by coincidence Mr Beasley had been an acquaintance of Mr Jack Seccombe, the company Chairman of Slumberland in Birmingham and Dad’s supreme boss".

Advert from 1949
View attachment 125417
It's so surprise to find these old pitures through web search, seems Slumberland has very limited distribution in UK nowadays. But in east and south asia it still be one premium mattress brand.

It's so surprise to find these old pitures through web search, seems Slumberland has very limited distribution in UK nowadays. But in east and south asia it still be one premium mattress brand.
Welcome to the Forum tuoeast, a very good place and folks, enjoy!
I was a little surprised regarding Slumberland, my parents, sister and I all slept on Slumberland beds and mattresses when we lived in Handsworth. The Slumberland brand was quite available in the 1950 to1963 timeframe.

Regarding Mr. John Seccombe being known as Jack I would mention that my late father was a John but usually known as Jack. Some people here, some years ago, also called me Jack though of course it is not my name. I never corrected them, I felt is was an honour - I believe it would be rude to do so - to be called by his name.

Regarding Mr. John Seccombe being known as Jack I would mention that my late father was a John but usually known as Jack. Some people here, some years ago, also called me Jack though of course it is not my name. I never corrected them, I felt is was an honour - I believe it would be rude to do so - to be called by his name.
Absolutely, I had an uncle Jack who’s given name was John.

Welcome to the Forum tuoeast, a very good place and folks, enjoy!
I was a little surprised regarding Slumberland, my parents, sister and I all slept on Slumberland beds and mattresses when we lived in Handsworth. The Slumberland brand was quite available in the 1950 to1963 timeframe.
Thanks Richard, it was all by coincidence. Found the root of this brand and lots of old pictures, stories never seen or heard before in this forum. Happy to join this nice and warm forum.

Back