• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Bedstead Factories

Magnificent bed.

This tells the history of Peyton family and talks about the Bordesley works who made beds in Bordesley Green. If there was a patent was there any names on the Patent? My great grandfather was born in 1861 same year as that bed, and his father was a bed designer who worked with the Bordesley works and was rewarded with an expensive granite tombstone in recognition of his innovation in the industry., when he died in 1895, he was William Pitt.
Bob, in you post above #27, reading the link; the Peyton family are mentioned ( toward the bottom right hand column).

Hello, I am writing to you from the municipal museum of La Vila Joiosa (Vilamuseu) in Alicante, Spain. We have a house museum set in the 19th century and we are doing research on a brass canopy bed that was probably made in Birmingham. We have the patent mark in the shape of a diamond which tells us that it was patented on 28 February 1861. We have searched the British Library and the British Archive documents and have been unable to find any like it. Nor do we know the manufacturer or how it arrived in Spain. We have found similar beds but none like this one.

Please, if anyone has any information, it would be of great help. Thanks in advance.
Magnificent workmanship. My wife advises that Williams Sonoma and upscale US retailer features a bed similar although not and grand as the one shown in post #28.

Good morning, thank you very much for the information about Peyton and William Sonoma, we are looking into it. As for Bob's question about whether there was a name on the patent, we have not been able to find any other name or mark or sign, do you know if beds of this type and chronology used to have any other markings besides the patent?
Thank you so much!

Good morning, thank you very much for the information about Peyton and William Sonoma, we are looking into it. As for Bob's question about whether there was a name on the patent, we have not been able to find any other name or mark or sign, do you know if beds of this type and chronology used to have any other markings besides the patent?
Thank you so much!
Sorry Irena, I have no idea. Best of luck with the research.

Back