• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Bedstead Factories

Heartland

master brummie
The Birmingham Metallic Bedstead trade is one that requires further publicity as many firms were once concentrated in the city, The exported all over the world and provided key employment for local people. They worked with iron, steel and brass to make the bedsteads that were sold for domestic and hospital use. Metal working skills were key to this trade, although working with wood and paints were also part of the job

Vono was a well known Tipton, Staffs bed manufacturer. I am not certain that they are still operating in the UK: it might be they are now based in Malaysia.

My Mother worked at Slumberland inYardley Birmingham during the early part of WW2. My paternal Grand Father worked at the Hoskins Factory in Small Heath making bed springs. This was between the two World Wars.

Parry & Bott Ltd Birmingham, spirit levels. (Possibly connected with Joseph Taylor Bott of Falcon Works, Glover St., maker of brass bedsteads c1900).

Joseph Taylor Bott was my Great, Great Grandfather.

On Made in Birmingham 'Streets of Birmingham' they said there was a major bedstead maker at the back of Broad Street. It was on the canal and called Atlas Works which is now Atlas Place. It was called this because it showed an atlas which proved they were sent all over the world.

Last edited:
About Slumberland...

Slumberland was formed in 1919 under the name of Crown Bedding by John Seccombe, a recently demobbed airman using his war gratuity. Originally established in Sherlock Street, Birmingham along the street from his father's drapery store. The first Slumberland products to be produced were feather pillows, straw palliasses and flock mattresses.
At that time their bed bases were formed by stretching a woven wire mesh over a metal frame - when the wire sagged, the tension could be restored by winding it up with a handle!

The Slumberland logo was introduced in the early 1930’s on a range of beds and became so popular that the name remained as a brand and grew into one of the largest bed and mattress brands in the world. In 1940 Crown Bedding is reported to have been producing tank parts and was heavily into Government contracts, which not only involved the making of beds for the military, but also parachutes, emergency rubber water tanks, military webbing, repairing of R.A.F aircraft gantries, and many other types of war equipment.

In 1947 a British Industries Fair Advert shows the company as Manufacturers of "Slumberland" Registered Spring Interior Mattresses. "Slumberland" Registered Spring Interior Divans. "Slumberland" Feather Pillows and Bolsters. "Intalok" Hospital Spring Interior Mattresses. "Intalok" Upholstery Spring Units. "Restola" Registered Upholstery.

In 1970 Duport took over Slumberland Ltd and its associated companies giving the combined group 30% of the UK beds market (including Vono's share). The manufacturing base eventually moved to Cambridgeshire following a buy-out in 2001 by Hilding Anders– the largest bed group in Europe, which also acquired three other bed and furniture firms, including Myers. In 2013 the group was taken over by Steinhoff.

Can anyone throw any light on the slumerland founder - he is allegedly John Seccombe but as far as I know he was always known to employees at the Redfern Road Works, Tyseley as "Mr Jack". By coincidence I came across the below extract from a web search describing the evacuation of a young boy, the son of a Slumberland employee in WWII.

What was Mr Jacks RAF history and who was his RAF pal Mr Beasley?

"In this hall stood a large grandfather clock but more important a wooden aeroplane propeller, which to me was awe inspiring. The propeller, and sadly as it turned out, was from the aeroplane in which the pilot son of Mr and Mrs Beasley had been killed, in the Great War. Mr and Mrs Beasley was a delightful old couple who made us immediately welcome, and by coincidence Mr Beasley had been an acquaintance of Mr Jack Seccombe, the company Chairman of Slumberland in Birmingham and Dad’s supreme boss".

Advert from 1949
upload_2018-6-4_19-17-3.png

Last edited:

Attachments

• beds.jpg
    beds.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Parry & Bott Ltd Birmingham, spirit levels. (Possibly connected with Joseph Taylor Bott of Falcon Works, Glover St., maker of brass bedsteads c1900).

Joseph Taylor Bott was my Great, Great Grandfather.
My great grandfather was Ernest Vaughan. I have recently been researching his various businesses, such as Revo, Vono, Duport Steel etc and patents. Fascinating to read about it. A great shame I never met him or my grand father.

I am just starting to research bedstead factories - and I have come across one called "Metal Frame Co" at 60 Gooch Street on the census but can't find anything about it?

I am just starting to research bedstead factories - and I have come across one called "Metal Frame Co" at 60 Gooch Street on the census but can't find anything about it?
There is some Bedstead makers listed here from 1839 & 1850, 1839 bedstead manufacturers.jpg1850 bedstead makers.jpg

Vono was a well known Tipton, Staffs bed manufacturer. I am not certain that they are still operating in the UK: it might be they are now based in Malaysia.
Vono stood for Vaughan Only No Others. My uncle Jeremy Vaughan, Ernest Vaughan’s grandson, told me this. He worked for Ernest.

Last edited:
My Great Great Grandfather William Pitt 1819-1895 ran a family company making bedsteads mattresses. In the 1891 census they were based in number 2 Blake Lane, Bordesley Green. After he died a granite obelisk was erected for him in Yardley cemetry, apparently he had invented tools for the trade and was highly respected, employees and employers had clubbed together for the stone. I wonder if he had patents.

Attachments

• william pitt grave.jpeg
    william pitt grave.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 5
It was was my Great Grandfather’s company (Ernest Vaughan). My late uncle Jeremy worked for him as a young man. Jeremy good me Vino actually stands for Vaughan Only, No Others. He was a very successful man with many businesses, including Revo and Duport Steel.

George Ellisons made bedsteads too, for hospitals. Don't know if they were made in the Geo Ellison name but I do remember my dad, who worked for Ellisons, telling me they did this. Must have been around the late 1960s or 1970's.

Viv.

My Great Great Grandfather William Pitt 1819-1895 ran a family company making bedsteads mattresses. In the 1891 census they were based in number 2 Blake Lane, Bordesley Green. After he died a granite obelisk was erected for him in Yardley cemetry, apparently he had invented tools for the trade and was highly respected, employees and employers had clubbed together for the stone. I wonder if he had patents.
thats very interesting bob thanks for the info

lyn

I've recently come across a rather vague reference to 'Slumberland Bedding Factory', in Birmingham, during the latter half of the 70's. Does anyone know where this would have been, please?

Back