• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Benjamin Zephaniah

So very sorry to read this :( he was a great guy.

I have a couple of his poetry books and I went to a talk he gave at Keats House in Hampstead some years ago. He asked if there were any Brummies in the audience, to which I raised my hand!

RIP Benjamin, you won't be forgotten.

yes very sad indeed....on the bbc early news there was a shot of him talking in farm street which is where he lived as a boy...i didnt see this so not sure what year it was

lyn

Last edited:
Nice tribute at the end of BBC Question Time tonight by Fiona Bruce…BZ who appeared several times on the programme, was a tremendous bloke. RIP
BBC ran "A picture of Birmingham" by BZ after Question time. On catch up if you would like to see

Last edited:
Sad news. RIP Enjoy the start of his poem "Turkeys" - apt for the time of year.

Be nice to yu turkeys dis christmas
Cos' turkeys just wanna hav fugan from thege o
Turkeys are cool, turkeys are wicked
An every turkey has a Mum.
I met Benjamin many years ago at an event at our local library. He was incredible both as a poet and as a human being. The verse pjmburns quotes is part of a long and compassionate poem about the treatment of turkeys. Benjamin was a strong supporter and activist for animal welfafe and a long time vegan - something which is rarely mentionedf by the media and which was very important to him. I love his poetry - he will be missed.

Back