• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newspapers : Birmingham Papers (usually BhamPost) 150 Years Ago 1867-

Hadn't realised that Salt's were such an old company (see #78 above) I remember their premises being in Corporation St. just across from the Central Fire station. On looking on Wikipedia I find that the company was founded in 1700's, and is still run by the family and so is one of the oldest family run businesses in UK.

Last edited:
Landford of Parliament house pub sues gunmaker for seducing his daughter and depriving him of her services. Gather that it was more her not being his skivvy rather than any seduction that upset him.
A Committee had been discussing the education of children and produced a wishy-washy report. The paper's editorial shows that they definitely considered the idea of compulsory education. However by 1870 the education bill allowed councils to set an education rate and to enforce attendance if they wished, and in 1870 it was made compulsory throughout the country. Birmingham was in fact quite forward compared to some other authorities.
Fire in Snow Hill

claimed seduction of daughter of landlord.jpg editorial on childrens education.jpg fire in snow hill.jpg promotion of childrens education.jpg

I tried to copy a definition of the legal explanation of bringing a case for seduction from an on-line legal dictionary but it would not copy so this is the link
https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/seduction

The right to bring an action for seduction lies with the father for the loss of his daughter's services not with the woman whatever her age. I believe it is still possible to bring such an action but I doubt the plaintiff would get very far in today's world.

It is not uncommon for old disused buildings to be stripped of fittings, but the Curzon Hall had only opened a few months ago. I assume starlights are some form of gaslight fitting.

Starlights removed from curzon hall.jpg

Large fire at confectionary manufacturers in George St West.
Tenders requested for building Midland Bank in New St, presumably the building that more recently was Waterstones.
New fork registered by Elkington's, but don't think it caught on.

Big fire in George St West at confectionary manufacturers.jpg new fork registered by elkintons.jpg tenders for midland Bank building New St..jpg

These hybrids sound very much like the sporks which appeared in the 1960's / 70's about the same time as grapefruit spoons. I could never see the point of either. I do agree that peas have always been a problem (I resist the temptation to ask 'what's wrong with your knife....?'

These hybrids sound very much like the sporks which appeared in the 1960's / 70's about the same time as grapefruit spoons. I could never see the point of either. I do agree that peas have always been a problem (I resist the temptation to ask 'what's wrong with your knife....?'

I eat my peas with Honey,
I've done it all my life,
It makes the peas taste funny
But it keeps them on the knife

This from a book of poetry that I bought when I was still at school. Apparently it was written by that well known poet Anon.

Charles Palethorpes butchers, (not Henry, later well known especially for their sausages) prosecuted for possessing foul meat.
I think he means demesmerized, not demagnetised,
Would like to know what device cures everything, medical or non-medical.

cures everything, medical and non-medical.jpg demagnetized youth.jpg Palethorpes butchers prosecuted..jpg

Desirability of having one Corporation fire brigade, rather than a mess of separate brigades is discussed.
Identity of body down to guesswork.

Desirability of one corporation fire brigade.jpg identity of body determined by guesswork.jpg

Mike - if you find out where to buy the cure-all device I'll have one please!
Also, I wonder what the pig was actually suffering from - not measles, although it's probably better that I don't know.

I eat my peas with Honey,
I've done it all my life,
It makes the peas taste funny
But it keeps them on the knife

This from a book of poetry that I bought when I was still at school. Apparently it was written by that well known poet Anon.

I shall try to remember this David, to quote in my defence when I'm in posh company.

PS to Post #94 - A bobolink is apparently a North American migratory bird similar to our blackbird. So now I know!

Bobolinks were mentioned in the classic Peter Sellers, plus others, film "The Mouse That Roared". From memory I think they caused a delay in the removal of the bomb.

Condition of Bridge St West (probably the same as many other streets on the outskirts of the city) described
Elkington's special forks described on 15th are challenged by another, Sheffield, manufacturer.

condition of bridge st west.jpg reply to the new fork of elkingtons.jpg

very interesting read mike about the conditions of BSW..as you say most typical of a lot around that time..would like to think things had improved by 1901 when my gt grandparents were in the street

lyn

For some, 7 days hard labour for snowballing.
New direct route to Stourbridge opens
Letting your true feelings rip !

Direct route to Stourbridge to open.jpg for some 7 days hard labour for snowballing.jpg why not say what you really think.jpg

Serious fire at Belle Vue Tavern, Wheeler St.
Interesting suggestion in jest (perhaps?) for abolition of wives

Abolition of wives.jpg Fire at Belle Vue tavern, wheeler St.jpg

#114 - Mike, I wonder why they call cornflowers 'batchelors buttons'? Any botanists out there who know the anwer?

This from Wiki may help:
In folklore, cornflowers were worn by young men in love; if the flower faded too quickly, it was taken as a sign that the man's love was not returned

After the recent heavy falls of snow ( for which many young people were still being prosecuted in the courts, in one case the target being a policeman) melting caused flooding in the area. Extracts of this report are given below:

Floods around Balsall Heath.jpg Floods around Fazeley St & Lawley St.jpg Floods on the Rea.jpg

After the recent heavy falls of snow ( for which many young people were still being prosecuted in the courts, in one case the target being a policeman) melting caused flooding in the area. Extracts of this report are given below:

View attachment 113227 View attachment 113228 View attachment 113229

For an artists impression of the 1852 flood at Deritend see Post 5 in the thread "Adverse weather in Birmingham over the years."

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-birmingham-over-the-years.47367/#post-582549

Further reports of floods, this time in Moseley,
Some people on the council definitely not in favour of Aston Hall. Wonder if he was a property developer.
council parks commitee. aston hall.jpg effect of floods in moseley.jpg

Back