• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : Birmingham Papers (usually BhamPost) 150 Years Ago 1867-

Hi Pedrocut
A fallen man, a fallen man from grace meaning he was of high society and of wealth
but sadly he lost his grace and became a poor person
The other version being a broken man, he as lost his heart and soul and lost every think
lost is wife , money and home and every think he ever owned
Astonian,,,,,

Think the use of the words Chinese Circus might mean the acts were more acrobatic rather than showing performing animals like tigers and elephants. They obviously used horses, but probably nothing more exotic. The emphasis would have been on acrobats.

I once went to a modern Chinese Circus and it was all acrobatic acts, not an animal in sight. Viv.

In June 1873 The Manley's Circus at Johnstone was burned down, through one of the employees, in lighting his pipe and incautiously throwing away the match.

In February 1884 the proprietor of Manley's Circus was summoned for refusing to pay his clown's salary. Defendent pleaded justification on the grounds that the plaintiff was in the habit of appearing in the ring under the influence of drink...judgement given to the plaintiff without costs.

One way to reduce your butcher's bill, though not one I would recommend.

How to reduce butchers bills.jpg

I can see a lot of disagreements between the company and claimants with this policy

insuring female beauty.jpg

Details of Dickens reading in the Town Hall announced.
In a long piece detailing the works carried out by the Council in 1866, it shows that, despite much work, there are still large areas of the town without access to sewers.

reading by charles dickens.jpg sewage workundertaken in 1866.jpg

At a meeting, proposals were made for the city to have an Art Gallery. (this is just initial part of report, which is rather long).
The rail crossing at Duddeston Mill , the scene of a number of accidents, to have a bridge. In fact a wooden footbridge was built, but was found to be dangerous in bad weather, and eventually a proper road bridge was built. ( see https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/duddeston-road.htm).

beginning od report on town art gallery.jpg duddeston mill crossing.jpg

This must be the Vauxhall station pedestrian bridge. Photo by D J Norton. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 20
Nice photo Viv, but this was not where it was, the map c 1890 below shows the position in red .There were not quite so many rail tracks in 1867, but it was busy.

mapc 1890 showing position of dudddeston mill crossing.jpg

There is some more info on the Warwickshire website link posted with the cutting

Large fire in Hall St (at no 25) occupied by hook & eye manufacturer, Henry McEvoy, and electroplater, Joseph Fitter, completely destroyed.
(Unfortunately, the far right of the piece is not readable, butcan be interpreted)

Fire in Hall St.jpg

Report of dickens reading at the town hall.
A spectacular explosion at Tividale. Seeing the tub fly out of the shaft must have been frightening, though, like those who have had similar results looking for a gas leak with a candle, somewhat their own fault

Report on Dickens reading at town Hall.jpg Spectacular explosion at tividale.jpg

16.2.1867 (from Birmingham Journal)
New church school opened in New Summer St.

View attachment 112161

Although the new school Church had all 160 seats free, at the time St Stephen's Church (built 1844) had 1150 seats of which 750 were free.

In October F Elkington would lay the foundation stone for the Church of St Nicholas in Tower Street, which was opened in 1868 and all seats were free. It was then stated that a third Church was needed.

Although it was a "large district destitute of the means of grace" there had been a Wesleyan Chapel in Newtown Row since at least 1854.

Hi Mike
both intresting stories you have put up for us
I would like to asked you two questions if you can answer please,
1 , being the the shooting in Slaney street do you know where excactly was Slaney street
and the royal oak pub
2, Is there any family connections with Mr Thompsons the buthers related to the thompsons of aston
lichfield road and aston cross or even Aston road north the fruit and veg
I am very intrige to know
And regarding question 1, namely the pub called the royal Oak, by coincidence in 1960,s
there was a irish related pub on Bristol road selly Oak birmingham where the police raided the premises
and found an arsenal of weaponary guns of all discriptions there they was closed emediately
and for years it stayed closed until birmingham council decided to change the area of selly oak and built sainburys store
In it place
i enjoy your threads of old press releases keep them coming mike . Alan Astonian,,,,,

Alan
Slaney St ran parallel to Snow Hill, as shown on map c 1890. I have not been able to determine exactly where the royal Oak was, but it was no 17 and would have been in the area marked in red on the map.
Afraid I have no information as to if that Thompson is related.

map c 1890 showing approx. position on no 17, the royal Oak.jpg

Hi mike,
many thanks for coming back to me on my request
I Have just been studying your old map and trying to recall the old area from yester years
And thinking when the streets was named possibly before todays known street was renamed
And i am thinking back to the old birmingham Eye Hospital which i seem to recall those back narrow streets way back then
There was a couple of old boozers in those days around those back streets and wondering whether or not
was slaney street ever one i have one in mind , but i will go into the loft later today when i come back from brum
and dig my old books of brum,s renamed streets to see if i can pin point it
I also will dig out old thompsons relies, i am sure i had his name that being is christian name
At one time on file
thanks mike again , have a nice day best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,

Hi Astonian, the old Eye Hospital was on the corner of Church Street / Barwick Street, on the other side of Snow Hill. It's now the Hotel du Vin (very posh). I was in the hospital a couple of times in the mid 1960's and it was very antiquated. I keep saying I'll go and have a look but I just don't get round to it.

So foreign wigs are infested with parasites. sounds like the sort of "fact favoured by Trump or Johnson.
Never heard of the idea of church services in a concert hall before.
church services in Holders concert hall.jpg ScreenHunter_4622 Feb. 18 23.18.jpg

Hi Mike, just had to look up the last sentence. It looked far more impolite than it actually is 'so much for the hair buns!'
I noticed that your church meetings were Evangelical. I think they held these meetings wherever they could, sometimes in marquees, church halls etc. I suppose February was a bit chilly for a marquee. Not sure how many churches would take kindly to allowing the opposition to use their premises either!

Hi Mike, just had to look up the last sentence. It looked far more impolite than it actually is 'so much for the hair buns!'
I noticed that your church meetings were Evangelical. I think they held these meetings wherever they could, sometimes in marquees, church halls etc. I suppose February was a bit chilly for a marquee. Not sure how many churches would take kindly to allowing the opposition to use their premises either!

Looks like a good place for a meeting. Next door for a pint afterwards!

https://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/Birmingham/HoldersGrandConcertRoomsBirmingham.htm

And then back again to see the show or a boxing match! That's a really interesting link Pedrocut, I will study it when my eyes have woken up. I find pale writing on a dark background quite hard to read. I'm never sure whether the hall and the pub were connected. The hall was once The Rodney Inn before it became a concert hall - is that right? If they are separate - I wonder what the pub was called?

PS to my last post. I have a note that Jem Mace staged boxing exhibitions at The Black Lion, Coleshill Street in 1900 for the soldiers at the nearby barracks.

I had to look up Gregarine, maybe the Russian professor was right.

gregarine
ˈɡrɛɡərʌɪn/
Zoology
adjective
adjective: gregarine
  1. 1.
    relating to a group of microscopic worm-like protozoans that are internal parasites of insects, annelids, and other invertebrates.
    • (of movement) slow and gliding, as seen in gregarines.
noun
noun: gregarine; plural noun: gregarines
  1. 1.
    a gregarine protozoan.

With regard to the music hall, from something I prepared earlier (as Blue Peter would say):

Henry Holder came to the Rodney Inn (89 Coleshill St) between 1841 &1845..
From 1845 (and earlier) - 1852 it was just known as the Rodney Inn/Tavern
By 1855 it was the Rodney Inn & Music Hall, and it was also such in 1858.
By 1862-63 no 87 was llsted as Rodney Inn and 88 as Holder’s Concert Hall, but they were run by Soward & Gardner

Its interesting to see that Christians of all denominations were invited to the meeting, and as the Lady says, "Not sure how many churches would take kindly to allowing the opposition to use their premises either!"

I believe that it was a period when the established church, being worried by the number of Nonconformist chapels, began a phase of church building. A few days ago we saw the opening of the new School Church in New Summer Street, an extension of St Stephens in Newtown Row. The following year, 1868, would see the opening of the Church of St Nicholas in Tower Street with all seats free, whereas St Stephens still had only about 70% free.

It took until 1871 for it to became illegal to debar Nonconformists from teaching or studying in English universities, and in 1880 they were given the right to conduct burial services in parish churchyards.

Back