• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : Birmingham Papers (usually BhamPost) 150 Years Ago 1867-

So Pedrocut, does that mean that NC's could only bury members of their congregation if they had their own graveyards? Sounds like it. Some time ago we were looking at the building of churches in our area and realised that our own church just happened to be built in an area previously dominated by the RC faith. Coincidence? I don't think so.

So Pedrocut, does that mean that NC's could only bury members of their congregation if they had their own graveyards? Sounds like it. Some time ago we were looking at the building of churches in our area and realised that our own church just happened to be built in an area previously dominated by the RC faith. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I had not thought about where the Noncomformists would bury there dead, but it seems that many had burial sites of their own.

Looking at Witton Cemetery, where the land was purchased from Mr Wyrley Birch for £15,750 in 1859, and consecrated in 1863, there were sections for Anglican and Nonconformist, and also a private section for Jews. Roman Catholics also had an exclusive section and a chapel was built.

Maybe for the bigger towns and cities, with cemeteries detached from the parish church, a problem did not really exist.

If I remember correctly, in 1870 many of the fatalities from the explosion at Ludlows were buried at Witton Cemetery. George Kynoch, out of the goodness of his heart, allowed his staff an extended dinner time in order that they could attend the funeral. As the bodies were being lowered into the graves someone mentioned that one of the persons was a Roman Catholic and that relations may require burial in the Catholic section. The family stated that they would prefer that body should remain with that of her friends.

It always makes me sad when I read about the divisions in religion. We've got all sorts in our family and I'm thrilled when I find a Nonconformist, Jew etc. I don't suppose they were very devout or they wouldn't have married into our family!

Following the entry about Holders yesterday, you can see the normal fare there was somewhat different . I always though "man of colour" was a relatively modern expression, but obviously not.
council agrees purchase of land to enable sewage farm which would help alleviate the sewage problem in Brum. Purely coincidently (of course) local MP Charles Adderley, who had been making the most noise about odours and water contamination, is owner of the largest portion of land purchased. Things never change !

holders music hall man of colour.jpg council approve purchase of land for new sewage farm.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg
Following the entry about Holders yesterday, you can see the normal fare there was somewhat different . I always though "man of colour" was a relatively modern expression, but obviously not.
council agrees purchase of land to enable sewage farm which would help alleviate the sewage problem in Brum. Purely coincidently (of course) local MP Charles Adderley, who had been making the most noise about odours and water contamination, is owner of the largest portion of land purchased. Things never change !

Where there's muck there's brass...so Mr Hutton leases about 100 acres at £7 per acre for 21 years. But what about Mr Abraham Burbidge and immediate possession? It may not be the first time he's been **** on.

If it is the same chap, here is a clip from Oct 1854, but it takes some following!

Where there's muck there's brass...so Mr Hutton leases about 100 acres at £7 per acre for 21 years. But what about Mr Abraham Burbidge and immediate possession? It may not be the first time he's been **** on.

If it is the same chap, here is a clip from Oct 1854, but it takes some following!

More on Burbidge....it turns out that Burbidge got just over £47 the amount of his arbitration award. It also looks like he had a bob or two.

He is referred to as a farmer in Washwoood Heath, and also a brickmaker. He also owned property in Church Road, Nechells, and in 1875 was up in court with other owners in the road for non-payment of frontage work that had been done by the council.

There is also mention of two chaps who stole 5 bushels of spuds from his farm. They hid them under stones in Aston Park, but someone must have informed on them and they were caught when trying to retrieve them. 6 months.

Council discusses the necessity of education of the poor.
Reasons for improvements to the sewage disposal system.
Sounds like religious bigots, similar to those in Northern Ireland today were rampant in Wolverhampton at this time.
Suggestion of origin of name "Soho" as in Soho works, foundry etc.
"Man" found to be woman.

man found to be a woman.jpg Necessity od solving sewage disposal problem.jpg Necessity of education for children of the poor.jpg possible origin of name soho.jpg religious riots in wolverhampton.jpg

Black Country Memories 3, by Carl Chinn..

"In February 1867, William Murphy planned to speak in Wolverhampton. He was a bigot. An Irishman himself, his father had converted the family to Protestantism and a vehement hatred of the Catholic Church. After sturring up trouble in Ireland, Murphy came to England in 1862 and began work as a travelling anti-Catholic speaker for the Protestant Electoral Union. Not only was he a bigot, but also he was a liar. Murphy asserted that Catholics had stoned his father to death in front of his family. In fact his father died of a heart attack.

The nastiness of Murphy was heightened by concerns as to what happened to the money he collected after his talks and, most of all by the salaciousness of his speeches. Filled with sexual themes and unsubstantiated allegations, the letchery of Murphy's meetings was made worse by of a sordid publication called "The Confessional Unmasked". It was too obscene for newspapers to quote from....

On the18th February Murphy tried to speak...despite a strong police force the many Irish in the building rushed the stage...several policemen were injured in clashes and the meeting was postponed. The next day several thousand Irishmen threw stones at the windows of the hall until they were forced back by Volunteers..."

I have read that explanation of the name Soho before - how it was a hunting cry.
Of course, there is also a Soho in London and a SoHo in New York.

Edit to add - apparently, the SoHo in NY is just an abbreviation of South of Houston Avenue!

Last edited:
I think 'bit' weird is rather an understatement Mike. As my son always says, 'there are a lot of dodgy people about' and in this case I think he's right. Sounds as though they could be enticing them into a convent or something.

Was intrigued to notice mention in the army estimates of a gas factory. Poison gas was over 40 years in the future, so what sort of gas would have been made for military use at this time?

army gas factory.jpg

I assume that the gas was for fuel perhaps at the massive army establishment at Woolwich which was a small city. I did look up gas lighting on Google and apparently it is expected that gaslighting will be the new word for 2017 as it describes Donald Trumps speeches.
From CNN 16 Jan 2017 - Unless Trump starts behaving in a radically different way after he becomes President, gaslighting will become one of the words of 2017.

Trussmaker to the Prince of Wales. Seeing that the Prince of Wales would have been only 26 at this time, this seems a little strange.
Never heard of a bevy of girls before.

flock of girls called a bevy.jpg trussmaker to prince of wales.jpg

Bevy is a common term for any group of people. I think it can also apply to larks. Perhaps you just know it in its other use as a slang term for a beverage usually beer or cider.

Bevy is a common term for any group of people. I think it can also apply to larks. Perhaps you just know it in its other use as a slang term for a beverage usually beer or cider.

Looking at a bevy of larks shows the "formidable" challenge not only for the foreigner, where there can be several collective nouns. It seems that there can be an exaltation of larks, which could also apply to cormorants, doves, goshawks, pigeons and swallows, and a few others depending where you look. And then you can come across an "ascension of larks."

I like the nye, head, nide and warren of pheasants, but when the beater comes they become a bouquet of pheasants

Did not know there was an association of signwriters, but what caught my eye was that the title included Grainers, a trade I thought would probably be completely unknown to younger people today. However, on looking on google it appears that tools and do it yourself videos are available.

grainers and sign writwes association meeting.jpg

Property owned by person of unsound mind sold (with the approbation of the Master in lunacy). Be interesting to know what happened to the proceeds, or am I just being cynical? Do not think these houses are the ones still at that corner, but more likely ones where the old synagogue used to be.

sale in lunacy.jpg

Way back in my student days I attended a lecture give by a gentleman who was nearing retirement about his career. He started work about 1930 in the Office of the Masters in Lunacy which was a department of the High Court. He recounted that he was there at a time when it was decreed that the terms lunatic and lunacy should no longer be used. The decision was made to rename the department, the Management and Administration Division. It was not until the name plates had been changed and the stationery printed that someone spotted that the department's initials were MAD. This department is now a separate entity known as the Court of Protection with whom I have had to have dealing over the affaires of an elderly relative who had to go into a nursing home and I had to sell her house.

IMG_1486.jpg
Property owned by person of unsound mind sold (with the approbation of the Master in lunacy). Be interesting to know what happened to the proceeds, or am I just being cynical? Do not think these houses are the ones still at that corner, but more likely ones where the old synagogue used to be.

View attachment 112681

Earlier in February it gives more details of the residences...

An eclipse is forecast.
Cocculus indicus in beer. this contains alkaloids that supposedly enhance effect of alcohol, presumably thus enabling a weaker beer to be sold at a higher price, though likely to be harmful to the consumer

eclipse of sun.jpg use of cocculus indicus in beer.jpg

Back