• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steelhouse Lane Police Station..the End Of An Era

A good record Lyn, I recognise the breathalyser machine in pics 1 & 2 post #22.

ok folks we are now heading for the old kitchen..photo 4 is an old photo of the kitchen staff.to take photo 5 i would have been standing where the staff were sitting in photo 4..the old kitchen range still intact todaySTEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 082.JPG STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 090.JPG STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 091.JPG steelhouse lane closure 15.1.17 004.JPG steelhouse lane closure 15.1.17 006.JPG

getting ready for the lowering of the flag...at this point i decided to video the flag being lowered...the video will be posted tomorrow...also chief superintendent chris johnson giving his speech before the flag was lowered..

Attachments

• steelhouse lane closure 15.1.17 024.JPG
    steelhouse lane closure 15.1.17 024.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 50
  • steelhouse lane closure 15.1.17 025.JPG
    steelhouse lane closure 15.1.17 025.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 47
  • steelhouse lane closure 15.1.17 029.JPG
    steelhouse lane closure 15.1.17 029.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 49
  • steelhouse lane closure 15.1.17 030.JPG
    steelhouse lane closure 15.1.17 030.JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 49
our very own steveR on the rightsteelhouse lane closure 15.1.17 038.JPG steelhouse lane closure 15.1.17 039.JPG being presented with the flag by chris johnson which he will exhibit in the new police museum..

thanks for your kind comments folks...i was a bit disappointed with the handing over of the flag and the locking of door photos...seemed a bit hazy to me but i think i was clicking at the same time as the press and could have been getting a bit of flash back from their cameras:rolleyes: weather was awful as well... i still have some to go through so i may have a few more to post plus the video to go on later on...sad to see 125 years of history come to an end but as they say...thats progress...

lyn

I was very surprised to read on the BBC Birmingham website a few days ago that Steelhouse Lane was closing as I had occasion to phone them at the beginning of last week to enquire which property department some keys might be held at - the lady I spoke to made no mention of the closure.

ok folks here is the video footage i took of the lowering of the flag outside the police station followed by a minutes silence...many thanks to my son tom for uploading it click on bottom right hand square to obtain full screen... THE END

lyn

Thanks lyn for all these photos and for taking the time to post them.
Thanks to Tom too!.
rosie.

as always rosie happy to do it and had to rope our tom in as not being the most technical person in the world i have no idea how to upload onto youtube:D

lyn x

Thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the photos and the video. Just a pity it was a closing ceremony - do hope they keep the building intact.

thanks janice...i have to say it would make a nice change for me to report something nice:(

lyn

Knowing the Council I worry what will happen to the premises, they could decide to demolish it, unless its listed ? Eric

The council don't care about listed buildings. The bus garage on Tyburn road was listed, didn't save that!
I bet the cop shop will be apartments.

Last edited:
totally agree with you froth...up until about 4 years ago i always thought listed buildings were safe...now of course as most of us know..they most certainly are not as you have just told me..rookery house is to be demolished and 15 apartments built..this is a grade 2 listed building...:mad:

Last edited:
thanks steve glad you are pleased...really enjoyed my tour of the station thank you

lyn

Oh Lyn what a clever gal you are :) Many thanks for all your effort and kindness for sharing with us the great photos and the video xx

Brilliant pictures and video, thank you for uploading them.

The pictures inside the station are fascinating, I especially like the one of the tunnel leading to the dock, very atmospheric.

I have fond memories of walking past there on my way to work at the old General Hospital back in 1990, it was always busy outside there.

I just hope the council are not going to demolish such a historically important building, too many have gone.

Back