• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steelhouse Lane Police Station..the End Of An Era

hi brummygirl..i emailed that photo to my daughter in usa and she reckons the photo looks very very spooky:D like you i do hope that a good use is now found for the old station...

lyn

Another sad day,................ Joe 90
Dear Lyn,
Thank you for making an old man happy. I was a sergeant at the Lane in the 1960s. It was an important part of my career and indeed my life. It was a shame that the ceremony was so poorly attended but I suppose that we must blame the weather and also the fact that the local branch of The National Association of Retired Police Officers was not informed until two days before the event, far too late to inform the membership. I, too, am hopeful that Steve R and his colleagues will find a new venue for the museum. I am a little doubtful but then I am known for my pessimism.
Your photographs are great as many others have said. Post 20 and a few others show the Central Lock Up. Only one person escaped from here. A young man he mounted the stairs, Climbed up to a skylight, which he forced and gained access to the roof. He dropped to the yard and walked up the tunnel to Steelhouse Lane then simply joined the passers by. I do not know if he was ever recaptured but there were a few red faces amongst the lock up staff.
Tempus fugits for the moment but hopefully I will add a few more words later, Thank you again Lyn, Goodnight all

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

hello chris very happy to make you happy and thank you for the story of someone escaping from the lock ups...my video did not show the crowd behind me and although not in their hundreds there were quite a few who braved the awful weather...however inside was packed the queues to get in very long...like you i hope that steve and his team will find another venue for the police museum...i am quite sure they will :)

lyn

Last edited:
well can i be suggested on looking for a new location ; Lynn , or steve r,
surely it as to be a police station , well there is a vaccant cells , ha, sorry a vacant police station going empty
for the last few years boarded up and that is at Dudley road little police station just out side the gates of summerfield park
winson green just up the top of the winson green road and the prison it as history
for some reason they built a new police station around the corner on ickneild port road
it looks like an office block never see any activitity at the new one it was part of the C Division police force
it had history and a very old station for its size and out lay it would be simular to spark hill as i have been through that one
but there again it could probaly best to avoid it really for its situation
there was a duo team of officiers working there they was good old tecs in the fiftys they was two old guys
they was gentlemen does any of our retired officers whom are on this forum ever recall them
lou brown a little grey hair chap and his partner inspector blake they would always apprend there men and they was highly
respected by the crimminals of that period they worked also the C DIVISION OF Thornhill road, keyon street
and Ladywood Division that being in the old police station them days they was never in the new station as they was retired
Through the retiring age
best wishes to one and all Astonian;;;;;

The building you refer to is no longer a police building, I understand it was returned to the local authority some years back now after the one in ickneild Port Road was built. I am hopeful we will get a decision before long.

Steve R

hi folks..the older part of the station which was the lock ups opened in 1892 and the newer part opened in 1933 and closes its doors tomorrow and the flag will be lowered...i have been invited to attend the offical closing ceremony and permission given to take photos which i will post on this thread...very sad to see yet another of our well known buildings closing its doors..no idea yet what will become of this fine building but will keep you informed should i find out anything...

lyn
They'll probably turn it into a Wetherspoons. They seem to take over a lot of nice old important buildings.

hi folks..the older part of the station which was the lock ups opened in 1892 and the newer part opened in 1933 and closes its doors tomorrow and the flag will be lowered...i have been invited to attend the offical closing ceremony and permission given to take photos which i will post on this thread...very sad to see yet another of our well known buildings closing its doors..no idea yet what will become of this fine building but will keep you informed should i find out anything...

lyn
I used to be a regular customer at the Lane, especially in the basement, I spent many a friday night down there and always loved the building. For those unfamiliar with the building, the bar was in the basement and we had many a great night down there.

Last edited:
glad you like the photos eddie....think we are hoping for better things than a wethespoons for this building. ie possible new venue for the now closed police museum.....i am sure that steve R will keep us informed...

lyn

glad you like the photos eddie....think we are hoping for better things than a wethespoons for this building. ie possible new venue for the now closed police museum.....i am sure that steve R will keep us informed...

lyn
Yes that would be good!

Wonderful pictures, for which many thanks. I worked in the Magistrates' Clerks Office in Corporation Street as a lowly clerk circa. 1966-68 I often had to go down to the lock up to get papers signed or whatever. I would have to go into a court, bow to the Magistrates, enter the dock and then dive down the stairs and through the tunnel to the lock up in Steelhouse Lane....... and then return ...... My father as Sergeant and then later as an Inspector was stationed at Steelhouse Lane on various occasions, occasionally if he was on duty I could divert into the Police Station for a quick chat!

hi eric the one that is there now was built in 1933..i think there was one on the same site before that so i guess its the older one you want photo of??

lyn

Lyn, did not realise that, it is the present one I want, which I have plenty of pics of, but a pre war pic would be nice. I thought it was around in 1900 !! Eric

Last edited:
Lyn, I have attached a drawing of the part I am interested in painting (I have omitted the bollards and put a gas light in), this is the view I would like an earlier pic of, tried Bham Mail archives but no lucklock up.jpg

ok eric i will see what i can find pre war and hopefully others will join the hunt

Hello all
The lock up building as shown in the sketch (excellent by the way) is that of the building 1892 built to serve the courts and local policing. It remains the same outside today as it was then. Steelhouse Lane Police station was added in 1933 and joined to the side of the lock Up building with the brick work being distinctively different. If anything has changed it will only be Colleridge passage which Eric has now added the gas lamp making it more accurate with the times.
Steve R

Back