• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steelhouse Lane Police Station..the End Of An Era

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks..the older part of the station which was the lock ups opened in 1892 and the newer part opened in 1933 and closes its doors tomorrow and the flag will be lowered...i have been invited to attend the offical closing ceremony and permission given to take photos which i will post on this thread...very sad to see yet another of our well known buildings closing its doors..no idea yet what will become of this fine building but will keep you informed should i find out anything...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lynn
Thanks for informing us all about the closure of the station ,but i think alot of us was forewarned by the media and the press
yester mail inclusive
with all due respect to you Lyn, how did you get an invite to such a sad day of its closure
when it said only police officiers and there family can only attend and not open to the public
it amazes me how you can get in on these venues and meeting you must have some contacts
any way once again for informing us and we look forewards to your reports and juicy pics
of behind the scenes best wishes Alan, Astonian,,

hi alan not wanting to sound big headed but i think the reason that i am so lucky to be able to gain access to some of the buildings that i have is because it is recognised that like some of our other members i try to go that extra mile to keep this forum updated about birminghams buildings and also record important events..i shall be going as a guest of a staff member...

lyn

Last edited:
thanks viv....hope i can take some good piccies...was delighted to get an invite some weeks ago..came out of the blue:)no pun intended:D

Last edited:
Sometimes being in the limelight does pay dividends. When I was on the Committee of the Foreign Residents Association here in Crete I used to get invited to some of the civic events even though I am not Greek. They see that we raise money for the local hospitals and the poor of the area and like to repay us in some way and we appreciate that.

Maurice

hi folks..what a lovely time i had at the closing ceremony today even though it was a sad occasion for many of the ex police officers and still serving police officers who attended...it was a great turnout to say goodbye to this famous building...i took over 100 photographs and also video footage of the last post and the lowering of the flag...it will take me some time to edit my photos but i will get some of those on along with the video asap...many thanks to steveR who is a member of this forum for inviting me to attend to record this event for our members..the flag was then presented to steve for the police museum...steve is also vice chair of the police museum and will in time be keeping us informed of where the new police museum is to be housed...

lyn

Last edited:
Excellent work, Lyn & SteveR, shame it had to go, but at least it will be well documented.

Maurice

My one and only visit to Steel House 'nick' was to ask them the way to the Bull on our first meet there, the one time I went by 'bus, sad but I suppose that is progress. Eric

Look forward to seeing your photos. We visited today but unfortunately didn't stay for the ceremony.

Look forward to seeing your photos. We visited today but unfortunately didn't stay for the ceremony.

hope to get some on by tomorrow mjay...its taking me some time to go through them all and decide which ones to post...

all the best

lyn

ok folks going to make a start..still have lots of photos to edit yet...

outside shots of the 1892 building and the newer 1933 part...lovely 1960s police car parked outside also steve on the look out for me :D

STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 001.JPG STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 007.JPG STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 015.JPG STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 017.JPG

moving on inside now...the charge desk and lock up cells...note that the toilet flushes from the outside of the cells...

Attachments

• STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 019.JPG
    STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 019.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 81
  • STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 020.JPG
    STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 020.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 82
  • STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 021.JPG
    STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 021.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 80
  • STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 022.JPG
    STEELHOUSE LANE PS CLOSING CEREMONY 15.1.17 022.JPG