• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guildford Street Lozells

glad to be of help josie and yes it would be great if your dad could join us...its not only photos we rely on to keep us going but also peoples memories are most important as well...if your dad does not fancy joining you could always post his memories on his behalf...:) by the way i was born in paddington st which was off guildford st

lyn

He remembers this cafe! It's a clearer picture of his house. I should get him to join so he can share more of his stories and tales!
Thanks
That was Ted's Cafe. I believe that I mentioned before that Ted's used to sell popsicles, er sorry, ice lollies. Some of the lollie sticks were stamped TED'S CAFE, which, if you were luck enough to get one, entitled you to a free one.
Dave A

He remembers this cafe! It's a clearer picture of his house. I should get him to join so he can share more of his stories and tales!
Thanks
I used to play with 2 brothers, Tony and Alan(or Harold) Lowe who lived in Guildford Street in the 1950`s who lived just down the street from the cafe in the photo I wonder if one could be your father.

Regards BOB1

Thank you very much. Mike, that was a speedy bit of work! So it is roughly behind number 146 Guildford Street. They packed them in tight in those days!

Maurice
Sorry not on here very often - Gladstone Terrace was indeed behind 146 Guildford St. 29 back of 146 used to be our address from 1963 to November 1968

I used to play with 2 brothers, Tony and Alan(or Harold) Lowe who lived in Guildford Street in the 1950`s who lived just down the street from the cafe in the photo I wonder if one could be your father.

Regards BOB1
Hi Yes it probably is my dad, his younger brother was Tony and his name is Harold but would get called 'Al'. I will show him this link!!

Hi Josie when you speak to your father ask him if he remembers Bob Plant who lived in Gower Street and went to Lozells Street school with him.
regards BOB1

Great to see photos of Guilford St between Gower St & Gerrard St. We used to hang around there outside Stanley Huddleston's house with our mates 1960-61, no doubt annoying the local residents. Together with Stanley, Teresa Green, Thelma Jones & Danny Haywood (who lived in Gower St) come to mind.

Hi Josie when you speak to your father ask him if he remembers Bob Plant who lived in Gower Street and went to Lozells Street school with him.
regards BOB1
Hi Bob
Yes he remembers you and said you had a large garden you all played in! I'm getting him signed up so he should be able to post himself soon!!

I've put two photos together to make a panorama of Guilford St & Gower St. In 1960-61 when I was in the fourth year over the road at Gower St School, I was often charged by our teacher Mr Ward to go and get his daily sandwich. I also bought myself a tomato dip sandwich which cost 2d (tuppence). Yummy with brown sauce!Gower St Cafe.jpg

I've put two photos together to make a panorama of Guilford St & Gower St. In 1960-61 when I was in the fourth year over the road at Gower St School, I was often charged by our teacher Mr Ward to go and get his daily sandwich. I also bought myself a tomato dip sandwich which cost 2d (tuppence). Yummy with brown sauce!View attachment 123279
You did a real nice job there mate! Got Furnace Lane in there too. Was Killer Dean at Gower St when you were there?
Dave A

You did a real nice job there mate! Got Furnace Lane in there too. Was Killer Dean at Gower St when you were there?
Dave A
Yes Dave A, I was in Mr Dean's class in my 3rd year. He used to throw the blackboard chalk at us if we angered him. Other teachers were J.D.T.Ball Head Teacher, Mr Williams 2nd year, Mr Wally Eyton, Mr Robertson P.E, Mr Cross science & a teacher we called "chrome dome", possibly Richards?

I was never in his class, as I left to go to art school after the second year. My brother and Killer Dean were always in "conflict" so I got most of my info from him. I remember Wally Eyton and Mr Cross, wasn't the science classes on Lozells Rd? Another "fond" memory was the flat roo f, where, if you had a score to settle with another student, you would "put the gloves on". The other students would make a ring and you would slug it out for what seemed an eternity, but was only a couple of minutes. Can you imagine this happening today?
Dave A

Even though I've been an interested member of this wonderful Forum for a long time it was only when completing a branch of my wifes maternal Carter family tree and finding 50+ years of Electoral Register addresses in New Street, Geach Street and Guildford Street that led me to this particular thread and safe to say that she and her recently discovered cousins have been engrossed ever since !

Thanks already to Gina While and Lyn for great photographic contributions, help and advice.

My wifes great uncle George Henry Carter married Florence Annie Marshall in 1910 and their first home was 6 back 18 New Street where they lived for over 20 years before moving to 61 Geach Street in the early 1930's.

Eldest daughter Florence (Queenie) married William Twamley in 1935 and the family lived at 8 back 44 New Street for many years (children Terence 1936, Kenneth 1938, Margaret 1939 and Marilyn 1943).

Next eldest Winifred (Winnie) married James (Jim) Clarke in 1936 and they moved to 43 Guildford Street (the God Bless Our Boys house). They had two children, Barbara born in 1944 and Brian born in 1947.

Third daughter May married Norman Hale in 1942 and they moved to 2 back 31 Guildford Street. They had 3 children, Valerie born 1943, Kenneth 1946 and Linda in 1950.

Soon after George Carter died in 1950 widow Florrie joined Winnie and May in the short move to Guildford Street and lived for many years at number 53.

These are two family photos for anybody who may recognise the above names, particularly Michael Ingram who grew up with Barbara Clarke and was asking about her many years ago on this thread. The first photo we believe to be a celebration party in either 1953 or 1958 for Florrie Carter on her 65th or 70th birthday and all 9 of her children reunited for the occasion. Sadly none of them are with us any more, the last one being William (Billy) who died earlier this year aged 87.

The second photo is Winnie Carter's marriage to Jim Clarke in 1936 showing parents, grandmother, sister May a bridesmaid and young Billy a pageboy.Florence Carter (Marshall) and Family.jpg CARTER marriage.jpg

Hope this is of interest.

Regards

Brian

what delightful photos brian...i have always admired the bridal dresses and flowers from that era..just lovely...i am sure mike ingram will be happy to see these photos..i have alerted him to this thread so hopefully he will respond as soon as he can..

lyn

Thanks Lyn I was not only struck by the beautiful dresses but also the immaculate, but differering styles and colours, of the mens suits as well. I will keep my fingers crossed that Mike picks up the message.

Indeed Lyn, some modern bridal gowns I have seen are reminiscent of someone draped in a sheet. My wife's gown was made by her sister - a qualified seamstress. She still has it - after 56 years. The fabric was from Harrods and featured bees.
Bees are an insect that produces food ( others do not, but can become food) are hard working, fecund and essential to the world's food chain.
Now don't those descriptions describe a perfect wife and mother? ;)

Even though I've been an interested member of this wonderful Forum for a long time it was only when completing a branch of my wifes maternal Carter family tree and finding 50+ years of Electoral Register addresses in New Street, Geach Street and Guildford Street that led me to this particular thread and safe to say that she and her recently discovered cousins have been engrossed ever since !

Thanks already to Gina While and Lyn for great photographic contributions, help and advice.

My wifes great uncle George Henry Carter married Florence Annie Marshall in 1910 and their first home was 6 back 18 New Street where they lived for over 20 years before moving to 61 Geach Street in the early 1930's.

Eldest daughter Florence (Queenie) married William Twamley in 1935 and the family lived at 8 back 44 New Street for many years (children Terence 1936, Kenneth 1938, Margaret 1939 and Marilyn 1943).

Next eldest Winifred (Winnie) married James (Jim) Clarke in 1936 and they moved to 43 Guildford Street (the God Bless Our Boys house). They had two children, Barbara born in 1944 and Brian born in 1947.

Third daughter May married Norman Hale in 1942 and they moved to 2 back 31 Guildford Street. They had 3 children, Valerie born 1943, Kenneth 1946 and Linda in 1950.

Soon after George Carter died in 1950 widow Florrie joined Winnie and May in the short move to Guildford Street and lived for many years at number 53.

These are two family photos for anybody who may recognise the above names, particularly Michael Ingram who grew up with Barbara Clarke and was asking about her many years ago on this thread. The first photo we believe to be a celebration party in either 1953 or 1958 for Florrie Carter on her 65th or 70th birthday and all 9 of her children reunited for the occasion. Sadly none of them are with us any more, the last one being William (Billy) who died earlier this year aged 87.

The second photo is Winnie Carter's marriage to Jim Clarke in 1936 showing parents, grandmother, sister May a bridesmaid and young Billy a pageboy.View attachment 127224 View attachment 127225

Regards

Brian

Welcome to the wonderful world of Guildford St! We have already met on facebook, and I do post photos of it on my fb page The Girl from Guildford St. It is now Guildford Drive and looks totally different. The only thing that is the same is the Geach St street sign - presumably because it is fixed to the floor, and the church on Summer Lane, where I went to Sunday School.

My uncle Billy Palfrey was good mates with a Billy Clarke, I wonder if they are related?

Does anyone else remember the lady who sold toffee apples on Geach St? Her door opened in half, and she put out a tray with the sweets on. My mom used to buy some for the whole yard on Bonfore Night, when we all gathered in our back to back yard and burnt old pianos!

The second photo is Winnie Carter's marriage to Jim Clarke in 1936 showing parents, grandmother, sister May a bridesmaid and young Billy a pageboy.View attachment 127224 View attachment 127225

Regards

Brian

I am just thinking that the pageboy William Clarke in the wedding photo might be my uncle Bill Palfrey's mate Billy Clarke, as uncle Bill was born in 1932?

I am just thinking that the pageboy William Clarke in the wedding photo might be my uncle Bill Palfrey's mate Billy Clarke, as uncle Bill was born in 1932?
Sorry - just realised it says Carter - Uncle Bill's mate was Billy Clarke though. Always kept a dog.

Sorry - just realised it says Carter - Uncle Bill's mate was Billy Clarke though. Always kept a dog.

Hi Gina

It is indeed William (Billy) Carter (sadly not Clarke) who was born in New Street, Aston in 1931 and would have grown up all through his school years at 61 Geach Street.

Half a dozen of the Carter cousins from that era meet up three or four times a year for a pub lumch somewhere and the next one is 17th Sep when my wife Joy and I will be joining them so I'll be sure to ask for any memories of the toffee lady and also share the many 'finds' of the last couple of weeks.

This is precisely why family tree research is so compelling and compulsive !

Regards

Brian

Terrific photos Brian. There are loads off photos of places I knew on the forum, but I never recognise the people. Jim and Winnie are as I remember them though, but a little younger. May looks familiar too.
Number 31, the front of where May and her family lived was a house in the 40s and 50s. It was originally a shop were one of my grandmothers lived. I am sure it was on the Forum once. I will have a look

This was originally on the forum but was lost.
I may be of interest to you Brian (danjake) (and partly to Lyn). These are people from the Guildford Street area. Probably the same age to you so if you went to Gower Street School, you would have known them.

It was taken in a working men’s club somewhere near to Hospital Street and Wheeler Street.

Top row from our left:

Mr Pearce from the Farm Street end of Hospital Street; his youngest son; Duncan Bagley, my mate from Eden Place, Guildford Street.

Bottom row:

Mrs Pearce; the Pearce’s eldest daughter; their youngest daughter; Ronnie Pearce, my mate; Eddie Madely, my mate from Paddington Street who was Valerie Hale’s friend for a short time; and me.

Eddie Madely was older than Lyn but she may have known his younger sister or the family

Pearce-Edit.jpg

what a great photo mike....sorry to say i dont recall any of those names but someone may...although i was visiting our nan in paddington st up until demo in the late 60s i was only about 5 or 6 when we moved from nans in about 59

lyn

Back