• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guildford Street Lozells

That corner of Paddington Street and Guildford Street was bombed during the war and certainly by 1945 was quite a large clear area were we children played and later cars were parked

That corner of Paddington Street and Guildford Street was bombed during the war and certainly by 1945 was quite a large clear area were we children played and later cars were parked
My father came home from school on the day of that bombing, and said half the children were wandering about looking for homes no longer there. Try emailing Archives at the Library of Birmingham with an enquiry. It is also possible that the BCIRA was moved when war broke out, as Lucas's was moved to Cadbury's, out of the direct line of fire.

michael i cant find any deaths or injuries on the BARRA site for no 56 guildford st which of course is a good thing but our mom told me that a man (no name) who had been in the building was found sitting in his chair totally unscathed so i am taking it that he survived...i will ask my auntie what she remembers as she is 90 now but has a sharp memory she also lived in paddington st during the war years

lyn

Hi All, I used to live at 4/222 Guildford Street from around 1959 to approx 1964/65... I've managed to see some of the photos but it all shows the front houses... I remember the back yard vividly not so much inside the house... there was a fenced garden areas.. we had an old school desk in there to play with... also there was a boiler house for the washing!! I do have a photo me stood outside our door! approx 1960's

Last edited:
hi angie and welcome to the forum...would love to see that photo when time permits...have you seen all the old guildford st photos that are posted on this thread photos of the backs are hard to find but there are one or two on here..not sure what number they are the back of but will check my files

lyn

hi angie and welcome to the forum...would love to see that photo when time permits...have you seen all the old guildford st photos that are posted on this thread photos of the backs are hard to find but there are one or two on here..not sure what number they are the back of but will check my files

lyn
Hi Lyn, Yes thank you I have looked through the photos.. and some of the back ones too.... where I lived in 4/222 it was all enclosed almost square like with one entry down into it... I'm sure there were about 4 houses altogether... the hoses opposite our house had fences up ... I'v added my picture :) just in front of me would have been the start of a small picket fence when went around the 'garden' part... well 'mud' really... hoho...

oops my fault dave i put the wrong photo on...thanks for spotting the deliberate mistake lol....i will delete the posts with errors and delete this post in a few mins to keep the thread tidy...thanks for your help mike but as said i posted a lennox st photo not a guildford st one...made a right mess of that didnt i :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lyn

This photo is Lennox St. The incline on Guildford St stopped at Gerrard St and then it was flat until Lozells Rd. I used to walk up Guildford St to Gower St school.
Dave A
Hi there.. sadly each time I click on either link it comes up with "Oops we ran into some problems" ... any idea what may be wrong??

yes angie its because i posted a photo of lennox st not guildford st...my fault....i deleted it this is why you cant see it...will delete the last 2 or 3 posts in a few mins to keep the thread tidy

lyn

oops my fault dave i put the wrong photo on...thanks for spotting the deliberate mistake lol....i will delete the posts with errors and delete this post in a few mins to keep the thread tidy...thanks for your help mike but as said i posted a lennox st photo not a guildford st one...made a right mess of that didnt i :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lyn
No problem Lyn, you have done so much for BHF, forgiveness is not an option..;);)
Dave A

The British Cast Iron Research Association was first at Central House, New Street 1921, moving to 21 St Pauls Square in the mid 1920s then to Alvechurch 1943 after the St Paul's location was bombed.
BCIRA 56 Guildford Street is the addressed heading of the several letters I have 1925-26 from my grandfather to my future grandmother. From other letters from the same period I know his home at that time was in Murdock Street Handsworth only a couple of miles away. As he headed his address as BCIRA in personal letters only from the 56 Guildford Street address I have assumed it must have been his work place 1925-26. As the BCIRA was probably in St Pauls Square by then, possibly this was a satellite office and perhaps he was working at the iron and steel works on Kensington Street.
Looking again at the 1889 map on this thread I can see it was not one building missing on the 1950 map but 6 houses/buildings, number 56 being a long building on the corner. This makes the missing houses 46-56 Guildford Street, the first house after the bombed gap being 44.

Bit of detective work found this Birmingham Daily Post 4 Nov 1916 Lot 4 quite a coincidence 46-56 Guildford Str

Hi everyone, as you can see I am new to this site and really only have an outside connection. I was hoping Michael Ingra may have some information or knowledge of my grandparents who lived in Guildford Street. My mother and her seven brothers and sisters were born there. Like you Michael I was born in 1941 and in the forties and early fifties with my mother used to visit and from Wythall it seemed an awful long way. My grandparents name was Philips and they lived in one of the set back houses next to Rudhall's shop, I haven't got the number but looking at your map I would guess no 22. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas and Laura Phillips were listed in the electoral roll in 1945 at 22 guildford st

My wife has cousins who lived in Guildford Street in the 40's and 50's and I will enquire for you Pete. Regards and best wishes Brian

Last edited:
Yes I remember the Phillips but can remember little about them. It was a long time ago. I think I remember a mother and daughter, right next door to Rudhalls. The one blacked out on the census may be the daughter. I can’t remember a Mr Philips. I can remember at the next house was Mrs Hewitt who would sometimes ask one of us teenagers to go to the off licence to get a jug of beer for her. Sorry I can’t remember more. I left there around 1963. I went back around 68 and most houses were demolished. Just a few houses standing. I know my house and Rudhalls we’re still standing and occupied but the Philip’s house may have gone

If you go back to post #12 you will see a photo of Guildford Street taken by my brother in law. On the right you can see half a large poster on the wall. To the right of the poster is the Philips house, which of course, can’t be seen.

glad you liked the photo pete and like i have always said its the photos that will always bring memories flooding back

lyn

I've been looking through the family photos but could only find three which were taken at no. 22 and all in the back garden. The first shows my gran and grandad Philips, my dad Harry Wellesbury and a lady I don't know (1939). The second shows my sister Cathy aged two (1939). And the third my sister again by the air raid shelter (1941).A)Grandad & Grandma Philips  Harry Wellesbury a.jpgA)Cathy.jpgA) Cathy at Nan Philips Brum.JPG

what wonderful family photos pete you are so lucky to have them as a lot of our members have no photos at all...many thanks for sharing them with us

lyn

what wonderful family photos pete you are so lucky to have them as a lot of our members have no photos at all...many thanks for sharing them with us

lyn
Thank you Lyn, sometimes photos are all we have to remind us of people and places long gone, that photo of yours showing my grandparents house is doing the rounds in our family now, such great memories.

Back