• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Cemetery

• Thread starter Thread starter Tanya
  • Start date Start date
Thank you Catkin, Stephen and Wendy for your super replies about the cemetery which I really enjoyed reading through.

So sorry I didn't reply to you sooner - haven't been on here for a while so I have quite a bit of catching up to do :-)

I still haven't managed to make it over to Witton Cemetery yet but with the school holidays and hubby working better hours, we might try and pop over in the next couple of weeks and have a look round :-) x

Hello there,
I wonder if there is anyone who would be willing to go along to Witton Jewish Cemetery to take a photo and jot down the memorials details, if indeed there are any. Unfortuantelt I can't get there myself being disabled, live in Somerset and can't drive. I have the details, which I obtained some time back, as follows :-

Sarah Lazarus - biuried 6th October 1902 - grave Number D-114.

Thank you,
JamieB

The Deeds have a lease of 75 years, after which. You have the option to re-purchase. Mine wasn't very expensive back in 1973. I dread to think what they will cost on renewal. Something my children will have to worry about.

Hello there,
I wonder if there is anyone who would be willing to go along to Witton Jewish Cemetery to take a photo and jot down the memorials details, if indeed there are any. Unfortuantelt I can't get there myself being disabled, live in Somerset and can't drive. I have the details, which I obtained some time back, as follows :-

Sarah Lazarus - biuried 6th October 1902 - grave Number D-114.

Thank you,
JamieB
Hiya Jamie. I'll have a go at finding this grave for you, ASAP.

That's kind of you Reg. I have a feeling there will be nothing to see. Just a point, she was of a theatrical family, so any inscription could be with a different surname - other names that may have been used would be Toledano, Daniels, Raslus, or Clifton. Crazy aye ?
JamieB

That's kind of you Reg. I have a feeling there will be nothing to see. Just a point, she was of a theatrical family, so any inscription could be with a different surname - other names that may have been used would be Toledano, Daniels, Raslus, or Clifton. Crazy aye ?
JamieB
Thespians.!! ah. Strange lot arn't they, I'll do me best and see if I can get in there on the way to work today.
Regards, Reg.

Hiya Maggieuk. I'm going to see if I can get in there today, on my way to work. I start at 15-00 hours, so I'll be leaving for work early.

Hiya Alf. How you doin? why so confused, As a lorry driver I do strange hours I start at 15-00 hours, and finish at 03-00 hours. I've just got out of bed, which explains why I'm late rplying to your question. Sorry. Regards Reg.

Morning JamieB. I managed to get over to the Cemetery yesterday, I was very lucky!! because as I was walking in, the Cemetery attendant was walking out. So I collered him, I gave him the information I had, and told him of the other possible names too. We had a little walk round the place, looking for "D" section, but as you thought!! I'm afraid we didn't find anything.

This fella seemed to know what he was talking about, and he said, "Theres not much in here pre 1930s" Hopefully its not all bad news, because he offered to look up this grave at a later date. I gave him both, my mobile, and home phone number to contact me if he found anything regarding Sarah.

I say "HOPEFULLY" because. He had to find space on a whiteboard to write down all the details I gave him, and his jotting was getting smaller as he ran out of space on this board. It was absolutely jammed with similer requests. So I'm sorry to say don't hold your breath,

But should he get back to me. Rest assured! I will let you know what, he's found. Sorry I coudn't be more help. Regards Reg.

Reg - Morning to you. Thanks for all your efforts. Yes, I hope the fella just double checks, however I'm not surprised there was nothing to be seen - much has been valdalised over the years or worse.
Thanks muchly and Merry Christmas.
JameiB

Hold your breath a bit longer, JamieB. The wife answered the phone this morning from the Cemetery. They wanted my e-mail addy. "Perhaps I was wrong"!!

Reg most cemeteries are very good now helping people to locate graves. I think it stands to reason the more people who find family graves will then care for them and, the cemeteries will start to look a lot better.

Reg most cemeteries are very good now helping people to locate graves. I think it stands to reason the more people who find family graves will then care for them and, the cemeteries will start to look a lot better.
Hiya Wendy. I've never been in that Jewish Cemetery before. But walking round it the other day, yes! I was very surprised to see how tidy and well kept it is! That fella yesterday was very! helpfull considering he was just about to leave, pity there arn't more people like him about. Like the people on this Forum. Merry Christmas to and your family wendy.

Hiya Wendy. I've never been in that Jewish Cemetery before. But walking round it the other day, yes! I was very surprised to see how tidy and well kept it is! That fella yesterday was very! helpfull considering he was just about to leave, pity there arn't more people like him about. Like the people on this Forum. Merry Christmas to and your family wendy.

Reg I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas.

View attachment 42445View attachment 42446View attachment 42447View attachment 42448View attachment 42449Had a bit of a bonus when looking for Sarah's Grave, I also found Lewis Lazarus. Yes Wendy!! I found the staff, Namely. Cecil, and Andrew. Very helpfull indeed.
pencil.png

Back