• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where in Birmingham was this taken ??

It certainly looks like it Ragga it must be a Saturday with all those buses outside the Blues ground. Dek

Had a glance at the magazine Bus and Coach Week in WHSmith on New Street Station yesterday. The Editor Garreth Evans said what a terrible time he had driving the 82 from Birmingham to Bearwood and how glad he was to have the security screen between him and the passengers. I travel this route frequently as it is now the only bus from Bearwood that takes me right to the station and I have never seen the problems, perhaps I have been lucky. I remember years ago being on the bus and the driver not been able to understand someone asking for the "Caber g'dope" I think that actually the Cape of Good Hope pub had already been demolished by then.

View attachment 68754

Cheer Dek i thought the same , there must have had a big match on at St Andrews .

this other photo above , i just dont have a clue where in birmingham it was taken .
can you confirm ??
ragga :)

That is an Outer Circle bus stop, I can't read the destination board on the bus which would give a clue but it looks like a short workning on the no 11 although the crew have not put the E up after number. My guess and only a guess is somewhere in the Yardley area.

Can,t quite make out the bus number I think it,s a 16 and by the style of the houses I think it,s on Hamstead Rd or Handsworth Wood Rd. Dek

Raggas photo in post 124: gut feeling ..... Erdington. Out of interest what's the history behind "Stage" on a bus stop. I know your fare increases after reaching a 'stage' but does it have any historical background ( I'm thinking stagecoach etc) Viv.

Last edited:
. Out of interest what's the history behind "Stage" on a bus stop. I know your fare increases after reaching a 'stage' but does it have any historical background ( I'm thinking stagecoach etc) Viv.

A Stage is a section of a journey and Viv keep thinking stagecoach because legally a bus service is still technically a stage carriage service. One of our bus experts has given a full explanation of the legal situation somewhere on the Forum but I can't remember where.

Talking about" Stages "reminds me of when I was a young lad if you had missed the bus you started of running as fast as you could to try to get to the next stage before the next bus I think it used to be about 5 stops if you made it before the bus you would save yourself a couple of pence. In those days well worth it . Dek

Referring to Ragga's picture on post 124, the bus is running Route 18, I believe the fleet number is JOJ 91, which was YW based.
As far as stages were concerned, the "optimum" distance between stages was 5/8 mile. which strangely enough converts to 1 km!!
I have no idea how, when or why this particular distance was chosen.

Following on from Tardebigge's comment. I used to live in Midland Red territory and they had fare stages at landmark locations like pubs. shopping centres or major junctions whereas BCT had their stages at fixed distances apart so your fare was based on the number of stages whereas the Midland Red with variable distance stages needed the conductors to know the fare tables. When I was a boy my journey home from school was to one stop past a fare stage so my fare was 3d but another boy always used to pay 2 1/2d to the farestage and was then almays "late" standing up so got carried on to the next stop saving 1/2d!!

Also on the Midland Red I remember a "stage overlap" on one route. There were two stops which both counted as the stage point. This is a bit difficult to explain but what it meant was that it did not matter which stop you got on or off the bus, they both counted as the same stage but if you got on at one and off at the other that counted as one stage. There was another anomoly on one Midland Route in that the first stop after the city boundary had its own special fare although it was not a fare stage.

Quote -- As far as stages were concerned, the "optimum" distance between stages was 5/8 mile. which strangely enough converts to 1 km!!

Also 5 furlongs a measurement more widely used in earlier days Dek

I don't think it's on the 18 route, certainly not between Yardley Wood Road (The Valley) and Northfield.

Colin

When I said before that it was on the Outer Circle route, I had forgotten that there were a small number of BCT routes which were inter-suburban and did not run through the city centre. This stop is definitely on a route which does not go to the city centre so 18 does make sense.

Found this today while i was surfin the net , i know its hard to guess where in Birmingham
this shop was taken but i i know where it is this time , one clue its not Aston !!

Well according to the photographer its the corner of Monement Square & Monement road Ladywood ....... Monument Square ?? never heard of it .

hi guys
monument square was after beech road and next to the monument swimming baths on monument rd
quick thinking [ ragga ] before i dash out to brum i recall ickneild square from the monument rd end and there was a shop on the corner
and when you past that afew yards along the rd there was a small type rd very small street indeed and it was a cobbled little street with the gas mantle street lighting and on the orner there wasa little pub i think it was the duke of wellington ;and looking at the picture it was taken from the
right hand side of the road. but continue up the next was beech street after that there was another rd
and there was more shops the next rd would have been the monument square with the gas mantle and afew yards from there was the monument swimming baths ; thats where you will find it
Ragga ; i hope you do not mind me asking you a personal question did you go to ickneild street school way back
have a nice day best wishes Astonian

Could well be David , but another thing it says on the caption , it very close to Monement road railway station .
No Astonian i was a Alma & Gower street boy :)

Below is a map of the area monument rd/icknield square for 1889 . As Astonian says, the duke of wellington was on the corner of Leach St (though as this is a 1889 map it lists it as Wellington St). You will notice that the map shows lamposts. Of course, these can move, but the one on the corner of Linden terrace is in just the right position for the photograph. I cannot find reference to who was in the shop on the corner (no 347), but many small corner shops were not listed in directories if they were a one man business.(or one women if you prefer). I conclude that it was likely to be the corner of linden terrace and monument road . this is about 1.4 mile from monument lane station

mapmonumentrdmonumentsqc1889.jpg

Following Astonian's clues, I would place it further along Monument Road towards Icknield Port Road than Mikejee has done. Looking at the 1914 Godfrey map there is an unnamed passageway between the Baths and the General Dispensery which opens out into a space from which there are rows of back to backs. The Godfree map has a scale of about 15 inches to the mile so I would guess this is about 1/3 of a mile from the station.

Ragga,

It looks like the brickwork on the front of Bordesley Station to me, but I can't say I've ever noticed these plaques if it is.

Phil

Back