• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where in Birmingham was this taken ??

Smashing photo though Bill, the Kings Head as I remember it before Hagley Rd was widened. Harding's Chemist (the 429 phone no was mentioned after the original post) was the source of all our aspirin and cough medicine when I were a lad.
I can just remember a traffic island at Kings Head junction, about 1954 I think, before the lights were put up.

Yes Lloyd, people look at me a bit oddly when I say there used to be a roundabout at the Kings Head. I was at George Dixon Grammar School 1955-60, passing the Kings Head on my way to and from school and it was sometime during that period when the traffic lights were put there. If I remember correctly the clock was perhaps just out of sight on this photo. Unless of course the clock was removed at that time as I know that the Kings Head forecourt was cut back a bit.

I thought the clock (yes just hidden from view in that photo) moved when Hagley Rd was widened again later, from between Meadow Rd and Barnsley Rd. I was at GD too, but at the junior school when you were next door at the grammar. The lights were definately in by 1957, I remember seeing a strange lorry with smoke coming from its roof crossing the junction, later finding out it was a Sentinel Steamer used by a Shrewbury firm during the Suez crisis and resultant lack of petrol.

Last edited:
Hi ragga;
sorry for reverting back to an old thread regarding th 33 bus that building on the corner layed back from the actul corner
wa the second high sky block of flats to be built on that section of the rd and the barton arms was about hundred and fifty yards
from the old barton arms and from the old six ways from the top end of park lane half way from the corner to the bartons arms which incliuded the old hall was demolished along with a couple of houses and the shops in between had been knocked down then also futher along the rd where the house of jack built was all closed down and ready for demolition and the rd was being dug up the section being in front of phillips st and aston brook street
and thats why the king standing bus and every one was diverted intowards alma street and summer lane for a very long time
then they built inkerman house i lived in there with in months of it being built on the top floor
i thought i would confirm that ; best wishes astonian

Smashing photo though Bill, the Kings Head as I remember it before Hagley Rd was widened. Harding's Chemist (the 429 phone no was mentioned after the original post) was the source of all our aspirin and cough medicine when I were a lad.
I can just remember a traffic island at Kings Head junction, about 1954 I think, before the lights were put up.

Thanks Lloyd, that was taken around 1974(ish) can you tell me when they widened the section from Bearwood towards Quinton, I remember it happening but I cant put a date on it, I thought it was wodened when I took this but time plays so many tricks,

Best Wishes Bill

When I took my driving test in 1968 (3rd attempt) the Hagley Road West had become dual carriageway but was still 30mph speed limit (It is now 40mph). I was warned by the examiner for exceeding the speed limit but still passed.

Can anyone tell me where this photo was taken?I do know the answer and there is a clue on a previous post.Moss

It looks a bit like Lea Bank Estate, certainly within the City boundary (Corporation street lighting pole, possibly ex tramway overhead wire support pole) but doesn't look like anywhere on Hagley Rd I recognise.

Dek,my picture on post #97 was taken in Gt Hampton Row looking towards Wheeler St with the new Geach Tower(Lyn's previous abode)between them.View attachment 67776
Ragga's pictire on post #41View attachment 67775 was taken in Wheeler St looking in the opposite direction.I would guess they were taken by the same person on the same day.Moss

O.K. Mossg got the right place but the wrong direction it was the Lyn clue in post *99 that put me in the right area. Dek

oops i nearly missed this...thanks for that pic moss...tis indeed geach tower being built...the maisonettes you see to the left are still there...

lyn

Sorry dec i forgot to say New John St West runs across both of the pictures.
Hi Lyn,i think the black and white block on the right in my picture (Cadbury house) is also still standing.Moss.

hi ya moss...yes you are right...actually all three blocks in gt hampton row are still there...

lyn

Thanks for that Lyn,now i must hurry as i need to catch the bus to town for my traditional Sunday luhchtime drink.Moss.

hi david;
I do beleive its in brum and its been around some time ago but i just cannot put my finger on the buzzer as to when and where it is
i seem to recall this pic from a long time ago i am working on the lamp in my mind
as to where it was i think it was a marking of a pub ;but i am not one hundred percent at the moment as to that
but i know in my heart and soul its in brum okay
it could have been ledsam street ladywood or around that area in my opinion
have a nice day and oh yes its in the wrong thread as you say astonian;;

Outer Circle at Cotteridge heading towards Cadburys. Road on left where 18 route comes out from Northfield. taken after 1974 when ex Coventry Transportr buses were allocated to Acocks Green Garage for last days of crew operation on the 11.

Correct Mike. Watford Rd Cotteridge, with Northfield Rd to the left and Rowheath Rd to the right.

Thanks lads for the info , something was telling me it was around Selly Oak
but now i think its Cotteridge , i wonder if that shop & avertising hoardings
are still there ?? i think that park drive advert is a classic :)

ragga :)

Thanks Lloyd , i certainly got my bearing right now , i did a paramama on the photo
it has changed so much around there since i was there last and it looks so busy too.
ragga :)

HI Lloyed
personaly i think its warick rd just heading towards solihull and dorridge
just passing high street shopping area and on the down hill aproach to olton ;and just passing that one way system that his there now
astonian

HI Lloyed
personaly i think its warick rd just heading towards solihull and dorridge
just passing high street shopping area and on the down hill aproach to olton ;and just passing that one way system that his there now
astonian

Sorry I have to agree with Lloyd and Mike. I had correctly identified it as Outer Circle in SW Birmingham but was about 1/2 mile out in my guess of the exact loocation.

Back