• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What is a pikelett

hi.i bought some pikeletts today to see what they were,and they were 3in round rubber things with holes in the top,i see why you cover them in bovril. pete

Pete, I prefer a piece of toast pikelets are too stodgy but will do them in front of the fire when the grandchildren next visit. Must admit they get me doing my pizzas and lasagne. Is where you live anywhere near Talybont?. Jean.

hi jean,yes i will stick to pitta bread the type used for kebabs,i like that toasted with marmalde on yumyum. no pwllheli
pete

hi.i bought some pikeletts today to see what they were,and they were 3in round rubber things with holes in the top,i see why you cover them in bovril. pete
If they were rubbery when you ate them, you didn't toast them enough - you did toast them, didn't you? - They are lovely hot with real butter oozing from the holes. Should be slightly crunchy at the bite, too. Mmm.
(*Adds pikelets to shopping list!)

Seems it's only us and our antipodean cousins who have Pikeletes.

We have a different definition of crumpet as well.
tlab06.gif

Pikeletts are not for buying. They are for making. Easy as to do. Heaps of recipes around for them.

Wiki calls them Crumpets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet
A pikelet by any other name will still taste as scrummy! (Apologies to some writer from Stratford)
Well that's two entries in Wiki as my link explains how "Pikelet" is a UK Midlands, Australian and NZ term for them. But, as they say, a crumpet/muffin by any other name could taste as good when toasted and buttered.
f080.gif

Crumpets/Pikelets, not used only by Brits here) are very popular in Canada. I have made them in the past but prefer to buy them. Yes, they look rubbery but as Lloyd describes they have to be toasted to perfection and spread with butter. Jam or marmalade can be spread on to if you wish.

I have just got up this am and have some on hand. Thank goodness this thread is making me hungry for pikelets.

Pickeletts, I just loved to cook them in front of the fire with a toasting fork made by my brother in metalwork at school. I love them now but those memories they seemed so much nicer...........love em!

Back