• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What is a pikelett

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
hi.can any one tell me what a pikelett is?and what are they made of can you still buy them.
pete

yes they are what we now normally call crumpets and you toast them and butter them. delicious!

Shera, I seem to think I have seen then recently and it would probably have been in Sainsurys or Tesco's. I must have eaten hundreds of them when I was younger.

i get a pack from asda nearly every week. we always used to call them pikelets when i was young and sometimes when i will say to someone do you want a pikelet they look at me gone out!!

Shera,In our house they were part of a normal diet, happy days.

hello.alf bin very buisy,ta for posting that reply alf,there is not a lot in them is there,they look like some thing ray the bush man would knock up.
some thing for me to do in the winter months.when i am snowed in
pete

838.jpg

Used to toast them on a toasting fork in front of the fire when we were kids, still have them, but under the grill now, still lovely though.

Yeah Graham...that's them. I buy them very often. We love them.
I seem to remember that they came by the name pikelets because in the "olden" days bakers used to stroll through markets or village streets with the
"muffins" speared on a pikestaff. I imagine that you said to the baker "I'll have six of those" and he would pull them off the pike.

We used to toast them on the fire too years ago. Lovely grub.

stick em on the end of a long toasting fork, hold em in front of the fire till toasted, cover em with loads of butta ,an wolf em down yer neck ,mmmm delicious,

When I was a sprog, the best treat of the week was when Mom bought a dozen pikelets from George Baines on Fridays and we toasted them in front of the coal fire, smothered them in melting butter and thereby contributing to my current cholesterol problem....but they were gorgeous!

Big Gee

Kind of like an English muffin...but rubberry texture and voids which hold the butter.
Seems to me this is in the data base.

This topic has been covered in an earlier thread 'Crumpets V Muffins'.
Quote from Sinclair who is no longer with us :) The difference between them are: A Crumpet is usually 1" thick and uses yeast, Pikelet are 1/2" and without yeast.
Both are very scrummy with real butter, cooked grilled longer to the base to ensure a crisp texture while retaining a soft upper. Mmmm

Hm. Yum.

I remember my Mum making them in winter when I was a little tacker. Served with heaps of butter and jam.

Doug

In Ireland we called them crumpets and up here,Mersyside its the same but they were always know as pikeletts in Brum. I wonder if it's a North /South devide or are pikellets a Brummie word.

pikeletts .....they were so scrummy, when we were kids the settee was pulled up towards the coal fire. and mom used to use the old toasting fork to toast the pikeletts in the fire....cosy happy yummy ..memories.

Shady will be giving it a go in front of our open fire this winter as well as popping baking potatoes wrapped in foil in the pan underneath. Loads of butter and grated cheese. Did them last year and they were lovely. Jean.

Back