• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Waverley Grammar School

Hello Pete,I think I just missed you.
I left in 1953,did a year at Posr Office Supplies Dept in Bordesley Green,then into RAOC.
I remember most of the teachers though, "Fred ' Whiteley,the Beak/Boss,a timid looking man
who frightened the life out of all the kids,Scotty,yhe deputy head and many more,the sadistic
and violent "Jimmy " Wilde for instance.No doubt you have similar memories.
Tojo.
I started at Waverley at the same time as a new Head. He was Earnest Hill, an ex army officer, we all called him Ernie, but not in his hearing. He was a keen disciplinarian who had the annoying habit of talking you into agreeing with him that you deserved the cane across your backside before administering the same. Which he did to me many times, I may say, although always justifiably. Give him his due though, he refused point blank to cane me every day as requested by my farther. Scotty was always away with the fairies as I recall.

I went to Waverley Grammar School from Jan 1962 until Dec 1962.
I was in 2L and then 3L for the back half of the year.
I was from Adelaide, South Australia and wondered about some of the people in those classes and some of the staff.
Mr Mills was the Deputy who would take a fellow from South Africa and me for French catch-up lessons.
I seem to remember a maths teacher named Ms Mennet/?? who was very supportive. I also remember an unpleasant Science teacher who seemed to detest me as I had absolutely no background in Science given I had just completed primary school in Australia.
Any photos?
I also remember a really nice girl called Brenda Marshall.

I eventually became a school teacher and ended up as the principal of area schools, 5 year olds to 18 year olds in our regions.
Hello Brian - this is rather a late reply, as I've not been on this forum for too long. I'm Michael Poole, I was at Waverley from 1961-67. I remember you from the 3L days. I was just perusing the history of this stream, when your name popped up. I hope you are keeping well.

I was at Waverley year 1986. Anyone know teachers Ms Alder, Mrs sweat, Mr stead, Mrs kwaski and Mrs fudge.
Hi, I was at Waverley 89-94 and remember most of those teachers bar, Mrs Sweat, Ms Alder and Mrs Kwasi. When I attended Mrs Fudge taught R.E. and Mr Stead taught Geography. I recall Mrs DeHonde taught English and Miss Paisley (sp?) taught Science. I recall Miss Anderson was also a Science teacher and many, many years later I bumped into her at a different school in Birmingham. She looked and sounded exactly the same (I don't know why I was so surprised by that) and she laughed when I mentioned this to her. Happy memories :).

Hi, I was at Waverley 89-94 and remember most of those teachers bar, Mrs Sweat, Ms Alder and Mrs Kwasi. When I attended Mrs Fudge taught R.E. and Mr Stead taught Geography. I recall Mrs DeHonde taught English and Miss Paisley (sp?) taught Science. I recall Miss Anderson was also a Science teacher and many, many years later I bumped into her at a different school in Birmingham. She looked and sounded exactly the same (I don't know why I was so surprised by that) and she laughed when I mentioned this to her. Happy memories :).
Well after the time I was interested in sorry. My grandmother Dorothy Jeffrey's was a pupil in 1907..yes 1907 and won a prize for history. I have the book with.the Waverley school crest on the cover and her name and prize details inside. I was going to return it to the school if it was wanted back as I don't have children and am now 70yo myself. If anyone knows anyone at Waverley school today please let me know and I'll bring it back or I'll try to post a photo online of the book.

Well after the time I was interested in sorry. My grandmother Dorothy Jeffrey's was a pupil in 1907..yes 1907 and won a prize for history. I have the book with.the Waverley school crest on the cover and her name and prize details inside. I was going to return it to the school if it was wanted back as I don't have children and am now 70yo myself. If anyone knows anyone at Waverley school today please let me know and I'll bring it back or I'll try to post a photo online of the book.

hi solihull54 how lovely that you have your grans prize book... just a thought but maybe you have other younger family you could pass the book onto.....would love to see a photo of the book when time permits...cheers

lyn

hi solihull54 how lovely that you have your grans prize book... just a thought but maybe you have other younger family you could pass the book onto.....would love to see a photo of the book when time permits...cheers

lyn
I'll do photos tomorrow of my Gran and the school book prize she won and share them on the group for interest

oh thats great thank you...does the grammar school still exist the reason i ask is if it does maybe when you are ready you could donate the book to their school archives..

lyn

Waverley School exists I think but obviously not in the guise it was when my grandmother attended in 1906
oh thats great thank you...does the grammar school still exist the reason i ask is if it does maybe when you are ready you could donate the book to their school archives..

lyn

Some not very good photos of the book & yes I will donate it back if Waverley School exists..

Attachments

• Waverley School Prize 1907.jpg
    Waverley School Prize 1907.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 9
  • WS school prize 1907.jpg
    WS school prize 1907.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 9
  • School prize 1907.jpg
    School prize 1907.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 8
thats a lovely book and certificate....so it was waverley secondary school not grammar school...

would any of our members know if this school still exists ?

lyn

There is a Waverley school but remember this was over 110 years ago. I think my Gran lived then in Forest Road Moseley where her father was a bedstead manufacturer. She met my Grandad in Moseley when he lived at 63 Church Road Moseley with my great grandad & family.

Back