• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

warren farm..kingstanding...

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
dont know if this pic of the original warren farm will be any good as its only small and i cant remember where i got it from now...

warrenfarmc1931.jpg

Morning
Nice photos, the forum is looking better day by day with everbody reposting old and new.

Regards Stars

Don't those pictures of the Council housing look great; looks just like the Bourneville trust estate.

About 10 years ago or so, the council did a stock condition survey, to find the average value of their houses was about £100 each. I bet they would be worth a small fortune if they looked like this today.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this shop used to be a seedsmans shop in the 1950s? This is taken at the top of Warren Far Rd, near Hawthorn Road. I have a vague memory of visiting a shop that sold seeds/gardening stuff etc somewhere around this area. But not sure if this is the place. Viv.

Warren_Farm_RoadHawthorne_Road_1968.JPG

Don,t know about being a Seed Shop but in the 60s Greenways were well known for fishing tackle and had a number of shops around Birmingham.Dek

I remember the swimming baths at Warren Farm during the war,my friends & I used to leave our bikes a my Grandmothers house in Fulwell Grove,Kingstanding & walk though the council est to the baths,the swimming baths were only open a couple of days a week in the war becauce of the coal rationing.

ive got the the photo of this too its in a book i bought called kingstanding past and present its really interesting to read

If my memory serves me well, the shop in the pic was once a butchers. I used to go to Cranbourne road school with the owners grandson. The butchers shop would have been trading in the 30s/50s. I can remember the fishing tackle shop in the 60s, next door was Foster bros mens wear. The seed shop may have been the pet shop just across Hawthorn road, they sold all sorts of stuff from tomato plant to tortoises

Back