• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vincent Kerr

On the marriage in 1895 Father's occupation is soldier but Vincent was 33 making his Father around 50+ (based on being about 20 when Vincent was born). Isn't 50+ old to be a soldier?
From censuses Mother was 30+ when Vincent was born so Father could be even older. Making "soldier" even more unlikely.

Yes, I picked that up too. Maybe assuming he was a soldier. This is sad confusing one. Glad mine was easier, even though went down wrong road. Luckily had a certificate 1842 on prove my gt gt grandfather. Thank you for the time you've put in. Keith

On the marriage in 1895 Father's occupation is soldier but Vincent was 33 making his Father around 50+ (based on being about 20 when Vincent was born). Isn't 50+ old to be a soldier?
From censuses Mother was 30+ when Vincent was born so Father could be even older. Making "soldier" even more unlikely.

Just assume it means he was a soldier when he died or the last they heard of him.

Harriet Kerr, no birth certificate. Any ideas please? There is Harriet Maria Kerr 1860. As PJM pointed out, not the correct one at marriage.
Different area? Thanks all, I'm done then.

What relative has given me. Not as much as I
thought
Re the name John Vincent as Father . I assume that came from this birth cert which I found attached to a tree on Ancestry. Not a good copy but just readable
birth cert.JPG
John Vincent Kerr's occupation is gun finisher and Mother is down as nee Faulkner. Looks like Chester Street as the address.

Last edited:
The birth reg. for Vincent has mother's name as Faulkner. And there is a Mary Falkner born and baptised in Willenhall (her listed birthplace in 1881) of the right age. Interestingly her father was a locksmith.

She appears to be missing off the 1861 census, so is she with Vincent in some foreign country (if he was a soldier) and that's where they married?

I did wonder about that having found the same person that you did.
I think somewhere there are records of Army births etc abroad - I need to look.
I am still not sure where the name Henry appeared from.

The birth reg. for Vincent has mother's name as Faulkner. And there is a Mary Falkner born and baptised in Willenhall (her listed birthplace in 1881) of the right age. Interestingly her father was a locksmith.

She appears to be missing off the 1861 census, so is she with Vincent in some foreign country (if he was a soldier) and that's where they married?
Mary ticks the box. No proof of Harriet Kerr's birth certificate. Again what would it provide on there. According to marriage cert she was 20, if true. Wonder like you is some of the info
or tree incorrect..Thnx Keithm

You have alot more knowledge than me. Think the tree maybe DA's tree as I couldn't read that info. You.dont give in PGM. I get so far after all these yrs and brain ache. I have access to that tree know. Think you've got the same. Thnx, Keith

You've got the same person as MWS. Henry is on a certificate I think I posted. So Henry Vincent, John Vincent etc . Thank you, Keith.

Henry Vincent married Sophie Neal 1895 father Henry Vincent Kerr. Bishopsgate Street.
Father Coach smith (journeyman) tried to send certificate. File to large

You posted the marriage cert in post1.
Posting at same time Lyn.
No mention of Henry Vincent both are just Vincent.

Apologies, it's birth certificate of Henry Vincent., 20th July 1895.
Father, Henry Vincent Kerr. Mother Sophia Kerr. Father, Coachsmith. Registered 2nd September 1895. Address, 12 Court, Bishop gate Street. Thought I'd sent that, no. Thnx, Keith

Back