• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Victoria Road Aston

• Thread starter Thread starter June Moorby
  • Start date Start date
Alberta

I think the pub you refer to was either the White Swan at the corner of Victoria Road & Whitehead Road OR The White Horse at 187 Victoria Road nr. to Victoria Terrace.

Roger

:confused2: Did any of you go to party's in a cellar next door to Victoria road baths? I think his name was Barry and his parents let him turn it into a disco. Jean.:confused2:

Jean his name was Harry and we are still in touch he lives in Scotland. He is a friend of my husband's, they decorated the place themselves.......i never went as I didn't know him then........we have some photo's somewhere.

:) I was nearly right with the name Wendy. Would love to see the photo's. This is a photograph of Bill Eggison after a gala at Victoria road baths. He and his brother lived in Park lane. Nice photo af Kenny Williams. Got together with him and two other swimmers Margaret Badham [Kingscot] and her husband John to form a masters over 45 relay team. Didn't Kens dad own the butcher in Victoria road?. :)TTFN. Jean.

Roger ;) A good man,, knows his pubs,, nice 1,,2 Mate :cool: JohnY

Hello there - my cousin is researching family history of the Darby's from my Dad's side- we was born Victoria Rd Aston 1926 one of a large family - the research has identifed a John Howell must be circa 1850's - this person originated from South America where we think he was called Juan Santiago and changed his name to Howell. I can put you in touch with my cousin for more details if interested.

I'll ask Michael if he can find them.

Hi Wendy - I've only just discovered this site. My dads sister (now deceased) married a Phil Jennings and they had 1 male offspring (my cousin) David Jennings - they lived in Victoria Rd Aston and would have been in their early 90's now.

My dad was born 1926 - Norman Edgar Darby of (25) Victoria Rd Aston, youngest of many including Hilda, Ethel ,Les, Earnest, Lilly, Dolly - wondered if there was anyone out there old enough to remember him who know's how to use a PC (LOL) -he's the last surviving member of his family.

Here's a couple of photo's taken in the early 60's in Harry's cellar in Victoria Road Aston.

Just joining this thread.
KEN WILLIAMS
Ken is alive and well and lives with his wife Angela in a village near Tamworth, although he spends a lot of time travelling the world, the benefit of having a son who is a captain flying British Airways Jumbos all over the world. Ken and Angela are often in Johannesburg, South Africa where their daughter lives with 2 of their 4 grandchildren. Ken re-visited Melbourne for the Olympics in 2004, the same city where he represented Great Britain in the 1956 Olympics. As late as a couple of years ago Ken was still swimming for GB as a senior.

I used to visit Victoria Road Baths in the early 50s with my St Marys School class and on a number of occasions Ken came to practice there and we would all get out of the pool and watch as Ken gobbled up the lengths in very quick time. Little did I know then that some 20 – 25 years later I would be marrying his niece. Ken used to live opposite the baths and work at the nearby butchers.

Does anyone remember my brother Arthur at Upper Thomas Street School in the late 40s?

Dave I was in a masters relay team [two men two women] when I was 45 with Ken. It was the Midland District clubs masters championships. We swam at Warley baths and won the gold medal. I was teaching at Wyndley full time and got in every lunchtime to train and went to Erdington with Ken at night. Don't tell him will you but we did our teachers cert at the same time but he failed. Don't know if he did re-take it but didn't see him on the circuit after that. Will take a photo of the field with the horses in next week. Bye. Jean.

HI Dave ,
How Are You Fine I Hope I Cannot Say Much For My Self As I Have Been Out Of Action For A WHILE I Was Involved In A 3 Car Pile Collision The Car Was A Right OFF
And ISpent TimeIn The Blackpool General Got Back Home This Week Any Way I ,ve Just Been Going Through The ThreadsOf Victoria Road Aston ,And Just Reading Your Thread We Used To Live Along From The Baths AT The OldCake Shop On TheCorner
Also We Had An House At 47 Victoria Rd My Oldest Sister Pauline Used To Go There Regular And Do You Know I Could Garrentee She Would Always Drown The Life Gaurds Had To Fish Her Out Nearly Every Week My Dad Would Go Barmy About It Tell My Mother Off For Letting Her Go ,But She Always Scampered Off With Out Telling Mom
The Police Would Always Phone My Dad Whom Worked At Charles Harriss On The Flat
On Logde Road Hockley As A Bakelite Moulder Even Thou The Boss Was A Great Big Friend Of My Mothers Family From The Same Village He Did,nt Mind Him Shooting Out Of Work But My Dad Did,nt Like Doing It He Was More Than EmbAressed In Doing It ,
She Used To Suffer With Eplectic Fits But She Love Swimming ,That Was Her Problem ,Alberta Said About Her Memorises On Victoria Road AboutHer Dad Joining The Police Force In Aston And He Or Her Family Stayed At A Pub In Victoria Rd ,
At The End Of Her Thread She Said With A Questin Mark At The End [And The Way She Put It Was And It Was In The Fifties And The Pub Name Was The White ? .
She Could Not Remember The Last Part Of The Name , Well I Can RememberThe Pub
She Was On About It Was The White Hart , On The Corner Of Upper Sutton Street And Victoria Rd Next To The Post Office And Possiblely 200 Yrds From The Baths
It WasA Big Public House With Lots Of Rooms To Let Above , And It Was An Akinsons
Public House Brewery , My Freinds Dad Used To Run It , He Used To Run The Turf
Public House At Spring Hill Oppersite Spring hill Libary Many Years Before Going To Victoria Rd And Running The White Hart ,bUT You Have Certainly Brought Some Good Memories Back To Me I Also Noticed That You Went To St Mrys School , So Did I
What Years Was You Dave ?, Do You Remember Getting The The Cups Of Hot Coco
In The Morning Break Instead Of The Little Bottles Of School Milk , But You Alays Got Your Milk In The Afternnoon, I Was A Milk Monitor There Then I Left And Went To Upper Thomas St , We Did,ntGet Coco There I DidNot Like That School, I Got Freinds With A Couple Of Lads One Lad Roy Edwards Became A Singer And Appeared RegUlar On Lunch Box , At Lunch TIMES WITH The Jerry Allen Show ,Did YouEver Know A Lad At ST Mary,s By The Name Of Micky Overcroft Ray Luckman, I Met Up With Them At Another School Icknield St Hockley Around The Corner Where Dad Worked ,
They Moved Up T

Hello remember the victoria Cinema very well. also learnt how to swim in the swimming baths, do you remember the laundry on Victoria road i used to carry laundry from Station Rd there for the woman next door and get 3 pence for doing so. and dont forget the 3x Tram that went don the hill past the villa ground ah thoes were the days BB

Jean I never went to Harry's cellar the photo's were some in my husband Michael's collection of his youth......lol

hi.i remember having to take my driving licence to the victoria rd police station,becouse i was stopped on my motor bike for looking too young to be on the road,i was 16.at the time.

HI Dave ,
How Are You Fine I Hope I Cannot Say Much For My Self As I Have Been Out Of Action For A WHILE I Was Involved In A 3 Car Pile Collision The Car Was A Right OFF And ISpent TimeIn The Blackpool General Got Back Home This Week Any Way I ,ve Just Been Going Through The ThreadsOf Victoria Road Aston , I Also Noticed That You Went To St Marys School , So Did I
What Years Was You Dave ?,
Astonian (Alan),
What have you been doing? 3 car pile-ups, hospital!! Have you been creating your own Blackpool Illuminations (seeing stars!)? I hope you have recovered now? I am fine, thanks very much. I was at St. Mary's from 1949 as an infant until 1955 when I left the Juniors to go to Charlie Arthur Street. I don't recognise the names you mentioned. Was Tunnicliffe the headmaster and Miss Price one of the teachers. I have 2 class photos, a few years apart if you are interested? I can post them if you wish. (see also my posts in Aston Cross Thread).

Hi Dave
Nice To Hear From You ,Yes I Am Getting Better Bit By BitGradually,
I Certainly Do Remember Old Tunnie, And Miss Price , I Did Not Like Her She Was An
Old Dragoenian Always Telling Me Off For The Reason Some Kid Would Always Nick My Pencil Or The Lead Would Break And I AlwaysDuring The Day And I Must Admitt More
Times Than I Care To Say To Asked Her To Sharpen My Pencil My Pencil For Me
Because My Lead Would Break Because In Days I Would Write Heavy Handed ,
At The Moment I Cannot Recalll Any Other Names But It Would Be Great If You Would Post Us Some Pics Of What You Have Got As I Said I May Not Recall The Names Yet
But Faces I Don,t Forget And The Names Will Come Back To Me .
Yes We Was Travelling Down To Black Pool In A Brand New Jag ,Up The M 55 And When We Was Approaching The Junction To Come Off At Black Pool Town As We Slowed Down And Stopped To Cross The Island To Go Into Black pool A Car Piled Into
The Back Of Us With Such A Force And It Was The Young Fellow ,[ Yob]Whom Was
Behind Him That Created The Inpact He Rammed Him And He In Turned When Through Us , I Can You Dave ,If Our Luggage And Cases Was nt So Many We Would Have Had A Fatetaliety It Was The CasES That Took The Blunt Of It Other wise Our Two Wifes And My Brother In Laws Grand Son Would Have Been Killed It Was A Good Job There Was No One In Front Of Us Other Wise We Would Have Gone And Never Lived To Tell The Tale All The Three Cars Was A Write Off , As I Said Previously We All Spent
Our Time In Black Pool General That Was Us The Other Drivers Was Okay And The Yob Driver Was Arrested And By Coincidence The Chief Inspector Of Black Pool
Police Was On His Way To Work At The Police Station ,And He Phoned The Emerceny
Services And I Would Say The Whole Police Station Turned Out On The Scene Within
Minutes To RescueUs And Also The Ambulance Services As Fast AS That Chief Got Out Of His Car The Station And The Fleet Of Ambulances Where There Brilliant Response By The Forces , I Have To Commend Them , Dave I Haven,nt Seen Your
Thread Yet On Aston Cross But I Will Call It Up In A Moment Well Dave Many Thanks For Your Thread And I Will Come Back To You Shortly I Have A Lot To Say About Aston And The Cross As I Was A Native Of The Cross And My Mothers Family The
Jelfs I Have Been Researching Them With Info; From Carl Chinn. And Raymond Jelf
Whom IsA Top Goverment Officier Whom Is In Oxford And Being Telling Me Of Our Fore Fathers And There Part In The Aston Society And They Was Grand Masters Of This Society For What They Used To Do They Was High Society People ItWas Kind Of Sect ,Any Way Dave I Will Get Back In Touch With You Soon , Astonian , [Alan ]

Astonian,
See attached.
The first picture was taken around 1954 (can you spot me??). I am guessing we are a class of 10-year olds?
View attachment 23467
Second was taken in 1950-51. 1st year juniors. This picture is from the book Aston Remembered - Yesterday and Today by Victor J. Price.

Last edited:
Got ya Dave [teachers pet eh]. On two of my school group photo's I'm next to my teacher and I was DEFINATELY NOT Miss Roberts pet. Anyone who was sporty she couldn't stand. Jean.

HI Dave
mANY Thanks fOR tHE pICTURES Nice ones aT that

Hi Dave
Many Thanks For Showing Your Pictures Nice Ones At That Unfortuneately
I Could Not Pick You Out Until You Pointed Your self Out Nor Any Body Sadly I
Was Hoping To See Afew Faces Of The Kids The Teachers I Remembered After A Little Thought Funny Ting The Play Ground CameFlashing Back To Me
And How I Used To Scamper Over The Wall To Get Into My Nans Yard And Old
Nipper Big Black Dog Came Barkng At Me He Was ABIT Stupid Dog Always Going Fr Me The Brothers And Any body Came In The House He Jumped Up At OUR Philip My Younger Brother And Bit His Lip Our Old Man Went Barmy At Our Uncle Joe , That Was My Dads yOUNGER Brother Whom Dog It Was And Our Nan Was Screaming
The Dog Drew Alot Of BloodAt To Get Stiches In Is Lip
Well Dave GotTo Get My Tucker Now I Will Catch You Later Dave Alan . ASTONIAN;;;;,.

hi astonian.. ive just read about your accident.. just wanted to say thank god you and your family came out of it unhalmed..

best wishes

lyn.

Hi Alan,
The kid on the right of the 3 sitting on the ground, is Michael Taber. He and I put together a list of names of everybody we knew on the photograph. We still have a few blanks though but if you are interested I can send you an IM of the names, so as not to bore everybody else on the forum. Unless you lot out there might be interested!! There are after all many ex-Astonians (forgive the use) out there who could be in the picture. I'll let the forum members decide. It would be a bit like the Thank Your Lucky Stars Thread but without any stars (numbering of all the people in the picture).

HI DAVE ,
NICE ONE ;

Yes Please Dave If You Don,t Mind If ; ME
I,m Sure Thou There May Be One Or Two Of Us In Fact I Think We Had One Or Two Members ThAt Attended There And They Came From The Avenue ,
Thanks Again Dave Speak To You Later alan ,;

Back