The Congregational Chapel on Union Row in Handsworth was originally built in 1788 and later rebuilt and expanded in 1871 as the Handsworth Congregational Church. It was originally a congregation of the Countess of Huntingdon's Connection.
It was erected in 1788 as an independent chapel, was enlarged and improved in 1818 and 1850. The building was remodelled and expanded in 1871 under the direction of the resident pastor. The second, third and fourth photos must have been taken in more modern times after significant remodeling and expansion of the premises. It has the appearance of a substantial church compared with the early chapel building.
The Union Row congregation eventually combined with the Westminster Road Congregational Church. Together, they formed a new church community on Wilton Road that was dedicated in 1969.


It was erected in 1788 as an independent chapel, was enlarged and improved in 1818 and 1850. The building was remodelled and expanded in 1871 under the direction of the resident pastor. The second, third and fourth photos must have been taken in more modern times after significant remodeling and expansion of the premises. It has the appearance of a substantial church compared with the early chapel building.
The Union Row congregation eventually combined with the Westminster Road Congregational Church. Together, they formed a new church community on Wilton Road that was dedicated in 1969.



Last edited:



