• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Trying to identify a lido!

RogFromBrum

knowlegable brummie
When living in Birmingham in the late 1950s/early 1960s I visited the lido shown in the photo below. As we didn't have a car, I think it must have been inside Birmingham or no further than a bus ride outside the city but I've not found any images on Google that suggest where it might have been. Does anyone know where it was?

Lido.jpg
Thank you!

They had an outdoor pool in Stetchford, my friend and I used to get the outer circle 11 bus which, living in north Brum, took us a while to get there!
Could that be the place - can't quite remember what it looked like now?

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at a couple of old photos of Stechford lido online it looks like it was bigger than 'mine' and may have had curved sides.

I also just come across a list of Birmingham lidos, and there were quite a few in years gone by - https://friendsofmrb.co.uk/2011/08/30/birminghams-lido-heritage/.

I used to live in Winson Green and I made a lot of use of the Outer Circle 11 bus. According to a comment on Flickr from the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, the number 11 is Europe's longest circular bus route!

Interesting link, I wasn't familiar with some of those places although I know some of the 'ponds' but that's not quite the same thing is it.
We lived in Perry Barr so not too far from you - I can't think of anywhere else it could have been unless....was there one in Smethwick or West Bromwich?

You might try the link "Lost lidos" which may be of help

Not Birmingham.... but the only LIDO I remember.... behind the Greswolde Hotel in Knowle.... We used to cycle there on Sundays (late 50s/early 60s).
Annie

Regrettably the historic photos online for Stewponey, Bournville, Droitwich or Knowle don't seem to match my photo. But thanks, all, for your ideas.

Back