• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Things you said when you was a kid

Well there's a coincidence Alf. I also could eat the coloured one's easier. The white fondant was very sickly.

John Knight said he has posted them on another site,that must be where i seen them,i knew it wasn't on here,they are very good Alf
Maggs have you looked at them

John Knight said he has posted them on another site,that must be where i seen them,i knew it wasn't on here,they are very good Alf
Maggs have you looked at them

They have only been posted again today has I told you Johns other page was there but yo couldn't upload the attachments Liz

maggie read my last post there is a link to Johns page just click on it

Last edited:
RE: BOMPECK

Kayla,

This expression was in common use when I was growing up in Lozells in the late 50s/early 60s.
I always took it to be a shortened version of 'bombed peck', meaning an area which had been bombed during the war and not yet rebuilt on. There were quite a few of these around at that time, though I guess the term would have been applied to any vacant land that looked the part, whether or not it had been a casualty of the war.
I didn't give much thought to the 'peck' part and can find no dictionary reference suggesting how that word could apply to land. On post 162, Fatfingers suggests 'peck' is Northern slang for a recreation ground, if so that answers one question and begs another; if 'bompeck' is peculiar to Birmingham, and peck peculiar to the north..... Well, these things have to start somewhere. Perhaps someone from up there emigrated to Brum.

Hi Kayka,
Must admit never heard of this one. I was born near the Horse Fair in Birmingham in 1949. The area had been very heavily bombed and we just called the vast seas of rubble the bombed buildings. Never hearrd it called anything else. I'm not saying that you're wrong though. but maybe the expression was a more localised one. It is always interesting to hear the different names for things,

All the best

I grew up in the Icknield St area, and we used the term 'peck' for rough ground and bombed sites too.

Hi Kayka,
Must admit never heard of this one. I was born near the Horse Fair in Birmingham in 1949. The area had been very heavily bombed and we just called the vast seas of rubble the bombed buildings. Never hearrd it called anything else. I'm not saying that you're wrong though. but maybe the expression was a more localised one. It is always interesting to hear the different names for things,

All the best

Hi Ben i,m quite amazed that you don,t recall the phrase "bombpeck"i lived in Vauxhall and every street had its own bombed area we used to play on them and and the word would get shortened to "Lets go and play on the peck" i,m sure most of the inner areas all had these sites and used this term. Dek

Re: bompeck

Being fascinated by words - and never having hear the word "bompeck" - I conferred with my faithful friend "The New (1993) Shorter Oxford English Dictionary" and found the word "peck" can be used to mean "a measurement of land equal to three acres (approx. 1.214 hectares)", which would make it the size of football pitches. I imagine members' bompecks were far smaller.
May I suggest that the word is spelt “bomb-peck” to bring it in line with bomb-site (which it is!) and bomb-sight or possibly “bombpeck” to coincide with bombshell and bombproof ? I shall use to former. Only an idea ……. David

Hello again, Dek,
Having tried to comment on the word "bompeck" in the Group section of the Forum without success, and having typed bompeck into the search engine at the top of the page, I've only just seen your recent posting. I far prefer the letter "b" being inserted into the word. Whether or not the hyphen is included is debatable. I think I'll include it; it is after all a synonym of bomb-site. Excuse me, David

Well, what can I say ...... I've just looked up bomb-site in another of my many dictionaries .... and it's written bombsite - no hyphen !!! So I'll eat my own word (intended!) and go along with you, my friend .... I'll use bombpeck. D.

Last edited:
Hello db84124, somebody told me that the reason they said peck, was because sites would have rubbish on them which would attract birds,maybe they were having me on

since a child i have always thought it to be a bombpeck....spent many hours playing on them...

lyn

Good morning, Elizabeth,
I imagine that the well-defined word peck was used in the expression a peck of land ... from here is could have been used for a stretch of land of an unspecified area (tons of potatoes could mean a large but not-well-defined quantity of spuds, for example). Only speculation ....... hoping you're well, David

Re: bompeck

Being fascinated by words - and never having hear the word "bompeck" - I conferred with my faithful friend "The New (1993) Shorter Oxford English Dictionary" and found the word "peck" can be used to mean "a measurement of land equal to three acres (approx. 1.214 hectares)", which would make it the size of football pitches. I imagine members' bompecks were far smaller.
May I suggest that the word is spelt “bomb-peck” to bring it in line with bomb-site (which it is!) and bomb-sight or possibly “bombpeck” to coincide with bombshell and bombproof ? I shall use to former. Only an idea ……. David
Hello David,i understand what you mean now,had no idea peck could mean that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again, Dek,
Having tried to comment on the word "bompeck" in the Group section of the Forum without success, and having typed bompeck into the search engine at the top of the page, I've only just seen your recent posting. I far prefer the letter "b" being inserted into the word. Whether or not the hyphen is included is debatable. I think I'll include it; it is after all a synonym of bomb-site. Excuse me, David

Well, what can I say ...... I've just looked up bomb-site in another of my many dictionaries .... and it's written bombsite - no hyphen !!! So I'll eat my own word (intended!) and go along with you, my friend .... I'll use bombpeck. D.

I agree with you, David. The use of 'bomb' rather than 'bom' conveys a better sense of meaning when looking at the word.
Regarding your snack, I offer the following from Winston Churchill, 'Eating my words has never given me indigestion.'

Regards, Mohawk.

hi guys to words come to my mind and that is ;
scram ; meaning scarper ; disapearear some one is coming after you have done a mr meana
meaning somethink wrong ;
and secondly ; the other word is baloney; meaning some-one is giving you a make beleive story
we would say you are giving us a load of old baloney
have a nice day guys ; catcha later aligater ; see you on the nile crockerdile ; Astonian ;;

Hello everyone we had a bombpeck in watery lane between the gpo building and dart st, ideal playing area when it snowed as it dipped down making a good sledge ride. also getting back to strange sayings my parents used to say what are you grizzling for?. meaning why was i crying. and the other strange one was if your going out put clean underwear on in case you get run over,thinking about it they wouldnt stay clean for long if you saw a bus or car about to hit you. all the best formula t.

HI GUYS ;
Many times in my child hood days i have heard my old man say this to peopple in conversation
and i have asked him whom is talking about some-one or some-think;
and he would say to me ,never you mind
and the phrase would be , bobs your uncle and fanny is your aunt ;
i hope nobody finds that offence because it ain,t there was some ladies called fanny in and during the war years
and after the war years until at least the fifties i beleive then more popular names came nto fashion
like harry , dic ;john ladies name like hilda ; maderline gladiss ; best wishes astonion ;;

That is correct Alan and was there not a play Fanny by gasslight or was that a saying too. My dad used to say if you tripped up "Careful round your aunt Annies". No offence that was a name of the day. How's about Fanny Craddock?. Regards. Jean.

hi jean ; how are you and pete fine i hope ,?.
ys that was another expression ; quite often in and around brum and most certainly up our terrace
its fanny by gas light in aston ; and we had several of them up cromwell sqaure but we called it the terrace
best wishes alan '

This thread does bring back memories. Careful round your aunt Nellies was another saying. Off to see Sandra Tomorrow all being well Alan. Bye. Regards. Jean.

hi jean ;
never knew that one, please give my regards to sandra and young george and have a safe travel
today and also to your pete ;
one more saying was if you can,t be good be careful ;
or cough it up , it might be a gold watch ;
jean time is ticking bye and i have to dash ,as you know time waits for no-man
all the best alan ;

"Well i'll go to the foot of our stairs", "I'll go to your gran's and smell the rose's", "I'll wipe that smile to the other side of your face my lad", "God never pays his dept's with money" Yow got a screw loose.

Astonian, the continuation of 'if you cant be good be careful' is 'if you cant be careful remember the date'
We used to say,if you can't be good be careful, if you can't be careful.buy a pram.lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Astonian , I like old fashioned names. I was named Richard after a great uncle Dick. At school I learned to read from the Dick and Dora books. On starting work the Traffic Office already had three Richards so the Sergeant called me Dick which was as I was known until my late wife insisted in calling me Richard. My step gran kids still call me Uncle Dick.
Some of these modern made up names are not going to age well. Just think of being called Great Aunt Beyonce, enough to make you cringe.

Richard a lot of the old names are coming back though like Joshua Harry Sydney shortened to Sid and Jack is a very popular one at the moment. I said to my grandson the other day when it was hot and sticky that it had become very close and he looked at me like I was a bit bonkus. Mind you he ain't far wrong sometimes. Jean.

Hands were called "Donnies" we said Arley Barely when playing Tag. Here in Essex they say "Fay Knights"

Back