• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Ridgeway Erdington

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
This is the house my family moved to after leaving Newtown Row Aston in November 1947. The photo was taken in the early 50s.
Note the TV Ariel

Last edited:
Hi Alf..very good..the 5 differences between the two photos are..
1) Pic one shows no Elephant.
2) The Ballroom Dancers leg is shorter.
3) The Doll only has one ear.
4) The Bath is no longer there.
5) No Hotpot on the stove

Now...what do I win? O0

Well done Les the Brand New Plumbing Set is Yours :king: :king:

Any one can enter its Free :D

The Ridgeway

I too was born in the Ridgeway, (top end ) miss it like mad...........my aunt and granny lived there........ higher up the road.......... my uncle still does. Happy days.......

Catkin I used to talk to a lady who lived a few doors from us but she just stopped writing to the Forum.

What year was you born there don't be shy:redface:

Any stories? what school, work, friends, you know the score, do you remember Big Alan who played in a few well known groups. He lived at the top end.

I think it's me

I think that lady was me Alf. who was big Alan.???????

Right I'll come back sometime later, by the top end do you mean from Gypsy Lane up:)

Thinks! must remember that Catkin is a Girl

Alf i lived in the dip almost next to the entrance of the allotments.

My friend Margaret Stroud lived in Yerbury Grove. We went to Marsh Hill Juniors from reception class up. I spent so many hours around the Ridgeway and later on always caught the bus at the Brookvale-Marsh Hill end. Do you remember the sweet shop on the corner along from the 5a bus stop. In the late l950s the family who ran the shop were all killed in a dreadful accident in their car when they were going away on holiday. Very sad.
When I worked at R.M. Douglas in George Road one of the girls in the office lived in Capilano Road. We never knew the origin of that name but here in Vancouver there is a scary rope and plank bridge which is a tourist attraction
as it crosses Capilano Canyon.

Scary Moment

I do remember the sweet shop, but i did not know about the accident. How Tragic.

I had to be in by ten o clock when i was a teenager, or stay in for a week if i was late, I remember coming home in the dark one evening and it had been snowing and the snow had stuck to the side of the trees in the graveyard what a shock i got thought it was a ghost sitting on the wall.

I also fell of the wall and had to wear one of those large boots, can't remember what i did to my foot but i know you could see my ankle bone.

I have been told that all of those lovely big old trees in the Ridgeway have gone, how sad. Catkin

No Way

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

THERE IS NO WAY THAT I COULD CROSS THAT BRIDGE.:Aah:

Nor me:Aah:

Tragic about that family on the corner shop of The Rigeway

Mrs. T. I wish I could remember the family's name who ran the sweet shop at the end of the Ridgeway. It's going back 50 years now. There have been several owners since.

Sad to hear about the trees along the Ridgeway being cut down. I expect that they became deceased and therefore a danger to people and traffic.

Re: The Capilano Bridge in North Vancouver. It is the weirdist feeling crossing that bridge and the other one in Lynn Canyon, also in North Vancouver. These days when visitors arrive I just say I'll watch while they go over it. Both areas are very spectacular but if you don't like moving things at a great height it's not a go.:Aah: Thousands of people cross these bridges every year

When I was at school in Hastings Road Perry Common there was a Road called Capilano, I wonder where the name came from:)

Alf, I had a friend who lived in Capilano Road, Erdington. I was wondering where the name came from because it isn't like any other road or street names around the Ridgeway.

I can't say I've ever been in that shop, though I passed it twice a day for 16 years, often looking at it from upstairs on the bus while at the stop there. Nor do I remember anything about an accident to the proprietors, but if it happened in 1960 rather than 1950, I wouldn't, because I left in March 1959.
I've done a bit of searching for you - the address is not Ridgeway but 270 Brookvale Road, and I found out the following in the directories to which I have access at home.
1933 - no number, but the Birmingham Co-operative Society ran a confectioner's shop. I guess this might have been a temporary place while the whole area was being built.
1936 - Mrs Catherine Trueman, confectioner
1939, 1943, 1943, 1950 and 1956 - William Nelson, confectioner
1963 - H A Bennett, confectioner

Peter

Hi Peter:
Thanks for the info. I wasn't certain that the exact address was The Ridgeway or Brookvale Road now I see it is officially 270 Brookvale Road.
Just down from there for several years was a Co-op grocery store which stood at the junction of Brookvale Park Road and Brookvale Road, opposite the Municipal Bank, where I had my first bank account. The temp. sweet shop was before my time but perhaps after operating that shop they decided to build a Co-op Grocery where it stood for many years.
Regarding the proprietors of the Brookvale Sweet shop I can't remember
their names unfortunately. I only remember reading in the newspaper
about the tragedy that befell them. I would think it would be after l959 Peter but once again I am not sure.

Jennyann & Peter,
Well its defeated me so far and I don't think I ever heard about it, although having said that, it was that time of life when most off the lads were being called up for National Service, courting, thinking of getting married etc: I had some dealing with the shop when I did the Fly Posters for the coming weeks pictures at the Mayfair as they had a Board outside.
I remember talking to the owners which you would, but thats all.
As for the CO-OP & the Bank my late Sister got engaged in the room above the CO-OP they hired it for function's, the Municipal Bank, we joined it at school and I've still got the book somewhere.

I'm sure that there was a CO-OP Butchers next door to the CO-OP shop at one time.
Finally I use to pick up a Bottle of Whisky there every other Friday evening for Mom on my way home from Cardiff City in between Home matches. I have mentioned these stories elsewhere on the Forum but to find them?:)

Hi Alf: I still have my bank book from the Municipal Bank we are talking about.
The ink they used was made up from powder and was an awful colour. Do you remember that at every teller station they had a pad with a large piece of blotting paper. The manager was very unfriendly to children I remember.

Where did you buy the whiskey from Alf.

The CO-OP Jennyann, They got to know me there I used to have a drink with Mom, because she use to want to know what I'd been doing for the last two weeks I was only 40 at the time Bless her:)

Last edited:
The Ridgeway.

:DanceBallerina4: Does anyone remember a Mrs Morgan?. She used to be my guider. We used to got to her house to learn how to make camp fires without using a match. The man next door had a lovely fish pond with water travelling down a waterfall. I used to catch his stray frogs and take them home. TTFN. Jean. :)

The Ridgeway

I lived in the Ridgeway but cannot think of anyone by that name and i can remember quite a few.:cool: Maybe Alf will.

You should have come to our house my brother would have taught you how to light a fire with matches:D:D:D...Cat

My 14 year old cat Sherry was born in an house on the Ridgeway.

Last edited by a moderator:
:redface: Catkin I didn't need any lessons in using matches. Look under childhood punishments and you will see why. Bye. Jean.:redface:

Back